kalina

Green card for a child of US citizen.

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
We received a green card for our child. This card is 2-year and conditional. Is this right?

She is not a stepchild. Why they give a conditional residency to her? Does anybody know?

Did you send in an I-485 application for the child? Did the child arrive as a K-4?

If this is a child of a USC then why is the child not also a USC?

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Fwaguy, when our daughter was born, her father was a permanent resident. Two months later he became an US citizen and filed I 130 petition for her and I 130 and I 129 for me. So we arrived with K3 and K4 visas.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

When did you marry, your timeline lacks that crucial data to answer question exactly.

:time:http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=30911

If marriage was less than 2 years before they issue the green-card for K-3 and/or K-4, the the green-cards will be conditional, you will need to remove the conditions withing 90 days before the card expires.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Thanks for the reply. I've corrected my timeline. Our marriage was in June 2006. I know that my green card will be conditional. What about this of our child. She will be a child of my husband forever. This fact doesn't depend on our marriage. What is the condition in this case? I understand the logic about the conditions for the marriages, but about the children? After two years they can say - you don't have sufficient evidences that your marriage is real, but how they can say - you don't have evidences that you are the father of this child. Or just the law say so.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Don't freak out about this...

The process is to issue a 2 year conditional greencard first, then a permanent greencard when the 2 year conditional one is about to expire.

Edited by Nutty

Timeline
Nutty, I don't freak but some things are unexplainable for me. First, my case is under further review because they doubt if my husband divorce in the past is valid here in the USA. They will ask Attorney General about this. If this divorce is not valid he has to divorce again and to marry me again. In the same time they grant a green card to our child on the basis of this "doubtful" marriage. By now I have thought that the documents of my daughter don't depend on our marriage or me.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

My misunderstanding..the tone of your postings sounded quite panicky (in slang, freaked out). I apologise if I misunderstood.

Also, you did not mention all the other issues going on in your first post.

All immigrants get a two year conditional greencard when they first arrive. Then adjustment of status at the end of the two year period and they will receive a permanent greencard.

Edited by Nutty

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
My misunderstanding..the tone of your postings sounded quite panicky (in slang, freaked out). I apologise if I misunderstood.

Also, you did not mention all the other issues going on in your first post.

All immigrants get a two year conditional greencard when they first arrive. Then adjustment of status at the end of the two year period and they will receive a permanent greencard.

Correction NOT ALL immigrants get conditional cards, immigrants who have been married for more than 2 years before a green-card is approved will get a 10 year card automatically. Example married for 2 years before entering the USA on the IR-1 or CR-1 visa, results in un-conditional card.

Some K-3/4 holders just wait a bit before filing for AOS, they file the I-485 a few weeks or a month or so before 2nd wedding anniversary so that AOS approval happens after 2nd wedding anniversary, this way the resulting green-card will be UN-Conditional 10 year card.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I believe that if a child is under 18 years old, has a green card, and has at least one U.S. citizen parent, she can qualify for derivative U.S. citizenship. (This does not apply to stepchildren - only biological or adopted children.)

Look at the instructions for form N-600, the application for a Certificate of Citizenship, which is the form you would file to officially establish her citizenship, and see if it applies to you. Here is the link to the form: http://www.uscis.gov/n-600

Hope this helps!

JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS

04/23/05: Sent fiance petition (I-129F) to VSC

10/26/05: K-1 visa in hand

02/17/06: Flight to U.S. - POE Anchorage

03/01/06: We got married!!

03/04/06: Applied for Adjustment of Status

07/31/06: Received 2-Year Green Card in the mail

04/08/08: Sent application for Removal of Conditions to VSC

03/20/09: Received 10-year Green Card in the mail

04/11/09: Mailed N-400 application to Lewisville, TX Lockbox

08/18/09: Citizenship interview in Garden City, NY

08/27/09: Sworn in as a U.S. Citizen in Brooklyn Court House

08/29/09: Applied for U.S. Passport (routine service)

09/25/09: Received U.S. Passport in the mail

* Our Journey is Complete ! *

Timeline
I believe that if a child is under 18 years old, has a green card, and has at least one U.S. citizen parent, she can qualify for derivative U.S. citizenship. (This does not apply to stepchildren - only biological or adopted children.)

Look at the instructions for form N-600, the application for a Certificate of Citizenship, which is the form you would file to officially establish her citizenship, and see if it applies to you. Here is the link to the form: http://www.uscis.gov/n-600

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much L.J./1999. I do not know about this. We will review this application and if qualify will apply. Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.