brian87

APRIL '08 Vermont K-1 Filers

2,328 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Question for Kim:

Hi! I just contacted the DOS in DC, and the lady told me that our packet got to the Casablanca consulate on August 12 (according to the NVC it was just sent out on the 12th, arrived the 18th) and that no Packet 3 has been sent out yet.

Boo!!

I feel like all this shuffling papers has taken so long! We are waiting for that Packet 3, because I think mentally everything will feel so much more real once Simo actually has an interview date.

So, we don't need anything special to have the Packet 3 sent out early at all -- I just want it sent out now, especially because Ramadan is starting September 4th, and the pace of life slows down soooo much then, so I am worried! So, I am emailing the Consulate now but I wanted to know if there is anything in particular I should say to get them to be nice to me and speed up this interview process (according to others from Morocco, the time between Packet 3 arriving and Interview date can be very short). What do you say to get them to expedite the interview date? (We don't really have a reason other than our impatience)

Thanks!

Elizabeth

04/14/2008 Overnighted to VSC

04/15/2008 Received in Vermont

04/21/2008 NOA1 Issued

04/24/2008 Check cleared

05/20/2008 Touched

05/21/2008 Touched again

07/21/2008 NOA2 Approved!

08/12/2008 Forwarded from NVC to Casablanca

08/18/2008 Arrived in Casablanca

08/26/2008 Packet 3 Sent from Consulate

09/01/2008 Packet 3 Arrived

10/15/2008 Interview Scheduled!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
You're treading on a slippery slope when you talk 'religious ceremony/marriage'. Perception and opinion varies greatly and you can easily find yourself in trouble. Especially dealing with a Consulate like Pakistan I would imagine.

If your K1 visa is granted... that's to say you have the visa in the passport and ready to go... a ceremony of some kind in another Country is possible BUT it must not be recognized as a binding and legal marriage and I would not breath a word of it to the CO or POE officer...or anybody for that matter. Do not wear rings or refer to each other as husband and wife until you are comfortably inside US borders.

You must be married in the U.S.

Lots of people have non-binding/legal ceremonies BUT lots of people also have issues after doing so. I'd hate to see that happen to you.

yea i kinda thought the same thing but i wonder if i fly back with her is that also going to cause problems and r there any cases where entry to US is denied on similar bases.

I found this on VJ it has Clarification on the subject : "religious ceremony/marriage"

read 4.11 and 4.12

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-application.html

7238.gif

6995.gif

8468.gif

10206.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

stephanie, i'm not sure why dos cant take that info. Hmmmm perhaps they dont do that and it's just been mis-stated on this site as doing so (highly possible ;) ). Just contact the Embassy.

Hi Lizzie, apparently there is an 'electronic' version sent over to the Embassy so perhaps that's the discrepency in the dates. Just be honest with the Embassy and tell them you are trying to expedite things. At some Consulates it works if you already have a date in mind. I would imagine with Ramadan starting that lots of people are trying to expedite things. Russell told them of our long term relationship, that we've been apart for a year after living together for some time and that he wanted to do everything he could to expedite the rest of the process. We had already learned that NZ was quite accomodating and have been in touch with the Embassy since before we even filed.

I know we will feel much better when we have an interview date as well! As of right now NVC still hasn't even sent out our petition to the Consulate. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Not sure they schedule the interview without the hardcopy of the I797 (approval). I guess we'll see.

MnM... this is the same information we all gave you. You must be legally married in the US. Each Country has it's own laws as to what is a legal/not legal ceremony. As stated, many people have non-binding ceremonies in the beneficiary's home Country but, if you do a search here, you will find many people who have had serious issues for doing so....especially at higher fraud posts. It's the interpretation of the ceremony by the CO and unfortunately, not everyone sees it the same. There is a couple here more recently who merely filed for a license before they were to be married and were initially denied at the Consulate simply because of the CO's interpretation. He had to go through hell to get her approved and there was no ceremony of any kind. Just the CO's ignorance held them up for months. Have your non-binding ceremony but I wouldn't tell anyone at the Consulate or POE.

timeline.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
stephanie, i'm not sure why dos cant take that info. Hmmmm perhaps they dont do that and it's just been mis-stated on this site as doing so (highly possible ;) ). Just contact the Embassy.

Hi Lizzie, apparently there is an 'electronic' version sent over to the Embassy so perhaps that's the discrepency in the dates. Just be honest with the Embassy and tell them you are trying to expedite things. At some Consulates it works if you already have a date in mind. I would imagine with Ramadan starting that lots of people are trying to expedite things. Russell told them of our long term relationship, that we've been apart for a year after living together for some time and that he wanted to do everything he could to expedite the rest of the process. We had already learned that NZ was quite accomodating and have been in touch with the Embassy since before we even filed.

I know we will feel much better when we have an interview date as well! As of right now NVC still hasn't even sent out our petition to the Consulate. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Not sure they schedule the interview without the hardcopy of the I797 (approval). I guess we'll see.

MnM... this is the same information we all gave you. You must be legally married in the US. Each Country has it's own laws as to what is a legal/not legal ceremony. As stated, many people have non-binding ceremonies in the beneficiary's home Country but, if you do a search here, you will find many people who have had serious issues for doing so....especially at higher fraud posts. It's the interpretation of the ceremony by the CO and unfortunately, not everyone sees it the same. There is a couple here more recently who merely filed for a license before they were to be married and were initially denied at the Consulate simply because of the CO's interpretation. He had to go through hell to get her approved and there was no ceremony of any kind. Just the CO's ignorance held them up for months. Have your non-binding ceremony but I wouldn't tell anyone at the Consulate or POE.

Yea get that, but have decided not to do anything in Pakistan becoz of the risk.

i can always count on you guys her on Vj to help

I appreciated so much

thank God for VJ and helpfull ppl

7238.gif

6995.gif

8468.gif

10206.gif

Timeline

If it's that imporant to your fiance and her family (understandable in many cultures) it's often advised to have a ceremony of sorts after the K1 is issued from the Consulate. As long as it's non-binding and you dont mention it to poe. :)

timeline.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thanks Kim! I'll email them and see how that goes...and lets just say if I haven't heard anything by the middle of next week I'll call. Gareth still has to do the police records thing so we have some time. We want this to go as fast as possible, but even if we don't get the packet sent out until some time next week then I still think Gareth will be here by Thanksgiving. :)

Also, should we go ahead and send in the checklist with the things checked even if the police records haven't arrived, but are on the way? I would say so. :)

Thanks again Kim!!

Our K1-Visa Timeline

04-21-2008 I29-F Sent

04-25-2008 I129-F Received at VSC

05-01-2008 NOA1 issued

05-05-2008 Check cashed

05-06-2008 Touched

05-07-2008 NOA1 Received

06-04-2008 Touched!!

07-31-2008 NOA2 Approved!

08-01-2008 Touched.

08-07-2008 NOA2 Hard Copy

08-07-2008 NVC Received

08-08-2008 Sent to London Embassy

08-11-2008 Embassy Received

08-20-2008 Packet 3 Received (not exactly sure because of address problems)

american-british-flag-realtor.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thanks Kim!

Simo and I are kind of in the same situation...we've been dating for 4 years, and lived together in Morocco for almost two years, but I had to come back to start my PhD program, but had I know that this process would really take this long, I would have started so much sooner! :(

I have not heard nearly as good reviews of the Casablanca consulate (in fact, it consistently gets bad reviews) so I don't know if they will be accommodating at all, but I asked...which is really all I can do! With Ramadan actually, no one wants to leave during the whole month, so I feel like we might be a little lucky, if they have only a few visa requests...but I can't be sure.

Thanks for your help though! I will keep you informed!

04/14/2008 Overnighted to VSC

04/15/2008 Received in Vermont

04/21/2008 NOA1 Issued

04/24/2008 Check cleared

05/20/2008 Touched

05/21/2008 Touched again

07/21/2008 NOA2 Approved!

08/12/2008 Forwarded from NVC to Casablanca

08/18/2008 Arrived in Casablanca

08/26/2008 Packet 3 Sent from Consulate

09/01/2008 Packet 3 Arrived

10/15/2008 Interview Scheduled!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just checking in. I received my letter last week saying that the NVC should be forwarding everything soon to the embassy.

Kind of proud of myself for not obssessing over it. The letter was dated the 18th, so I figure I will follow-up late next week, to make sure I have not hit another snag.

Amazing how the reality of everything starts setting in after the NOA2, especially your second one. :star:

Last week it was my SO's purchase of her wedding dress and this week she starts training a new employee to take over her job.

Wishing everybody the best.

I wonder what ever happened to Jerry?

Brian

03/18/08 Engagement Date

04/03/08 NOA1 Date

07/03/08 NOA2 Received Via Email

07/22/08 Received email Stating Approval Under Review

07/28/08 NOA2 Status Changed to Denial

08/13/08 2nd NOA2 received via Email

10/07/08 Interview Date/VISA RECEIVED

11/22/08 Atlanta, U.S. Point of Entry.

Timeline

:rofl: Brian!

Glad things are moving along for you. Our petion has been at the NVC for a week and a half. Not sure whats up with that. We've recieved two letters from them stating our case was there..one dated the 20th and one dated the 25th and both saying the same thing. The Embassy has all they need from us.

It is quite surreal at this point. Feels so good to know we will be together again very soon...gives me warm fuzzies! :wub:

Elizabeth, I hope the Consulate is not as difficult as you've heard. There's been much discussion about Ramadan. Seems you may have a point there if it doesn't effect your situation. Hope so!

Stephanie, I'm not really sure how Consulates handle missing components from a P3. Do they ask it to be returned with the packet or just to have it for your interview? In NZ, the Consulate does the police check for you. Perhaps you could include a letter stating that you are expecting the police report but wanted to try to expedite the process?

So as I stated above, we've received a second letter today from NVC letting us know that our petition was there and that they'd be sending it out in the next week. scratchhead.gif...hmm Didn't you say that a week ago??? Still keeping our fingers crossed that they'll issue an interview date even without the entire petition from the NVC. Ummm I sent along a duplicate they're free to look at. :whistle:

timeline.jpg

Timeline

:rofl: Brian!

Glad things are moving along for you. Our petion has been at the NVC for a week and a half. Not sure whats up with that. We've recieved two letters from them stating our case was there..one dated the 20th and one dated the 25th and both saying the same thing. The Embassy has all they need from us.

It is quite surreal at this point. Feels so good to know we will be together again very soon...gives me warm fuzzies! :wub:

Elizabeth, I hope the Consulate is not as difficult as you've heard. There's been much discussion about Ramadan. Seems you may have a point there if it doesn't effect your situation. Hope so!

Stephanie, I'm not really sure how Consulates handle missing components from a P3. Do they ask it to be returned with the packet or just to have it for your interview? In NZ, the Consulate does the police check for you. Perhaps you could include a letter stating that you are expecting the police report but wanted to try to expedite the process?

So as I stated above, we've received a second letter today from NVC letting us know that our petition was there and that they'd be sending it out in the next week. scratchhead.gif...hmm Didn't you say that a week ago??? Still keeping our fingers crossed that they'll issue an interview date even without the entire petition from the NVC. Ummm I sent along a duplicate they're free to look at. :whistle:

No you just have to have it at the interview, but you have to send in a checklist saying you have everything for the interview. He's going to go a head and check that he has it because we're sure it will be there before the interview.

And Kim I got like four letters saying that! LoL!

The Medical

There is only one place in the UK you can have your medical done. That is Knightsbridge Doctors.

See reviews of recent medicals here.

It's cheaper to have all the necessary vaccinations before your medical examination. Most are available on the NHS.

What is NHS?

Edited by smchadwick

Our K1-Visa Timeline

04-21-2008 I29-F Sent

05-01-2008 NOA1 issued

05-05-2008 Check cashed

05-06-2008 Touched

05-07-2008 NOA1 Received

06-04-2008 Touched!!

08-01-2008 Touched.

08-07-2008 NVC Received

Stephanie,

NHS is National Health Service in the UK...the "free" doctors. In other words, the family doctor's office.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline
Stephanie,

NHS is National Health Service in the UK...the "free" doctors. In other words, the family doctor's office.

Thanks!

Our K1-Visa Timeline

04-21-2008 I29-F Sent

05-01-2008 NOA1 issued

05-05-2008 Check cashed

05-06-2008 Touched

05-07-2008 NOA1 Received

06-04-2008 Touched!!

08-01-2008 Touched.

08-07-2008 NVC Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just could not stand the thought of our thread being on the second page. :star:

April RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

03/18/08 Engagement Date

04/03/08 NOA1 Date

07/03/08 NOA2 Received Via Email

07/22/08 Received email Stating Approval Under Review

07/28/08 NOA2 Status Changed to Denial

08/13/08 2nd NOA2 received via Email

10/07/08 Interview Date/VISA RECEIVED

11/22/08 Atlanta, U.S. Point of Entry.

Filed: Timeline
Time for a quick update from Igor's list guys, March approval today!!!!

November = 26 Filers; 24 with NOA2 (92%), 1 with no accessible profile and 1 who hasn't been online since 7th November.

December = 62 Filers; 59 with NOA2 (95%), 1 with RFE pending, 1 waiting on NOA2 and 1 who hasn't been online since 3rd February.

January = 81 filers; 80 with NOA2 (99%) and 1 who hasn't been online since 23rd January.

February = 99 filers; 87 with NOA2 (88%), 5 with RFE pending, 2 waiting on NOA2 and 5 who haven't been online since May.

March = 79 filers; 46 with NOA2 (58%), 1 RFE pending and 32 waiting on NOA2.

April = 55 filers; 1 with NOA2 (2%) and 54 waiting. The 1 approval was an expedite though ;)

Happy to be of service and the post count is flying up!!!

GRAHAM...you're the BOMB! What a service. Hang in their folks the NOA2s are comming.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.