usclovesukc

help: after AOS interview just got a paper that said "pending background checks"

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

My husband and I (I'm the USC) just had our I-485 interview last week, which wasn't exactly the best experience we've ever had, but we survived. At the end, we were given a sheet of paper that said they couldn't make a decision on our case pending completion of the background checks. Now, all over this site, I see entries such as "Interview: Approved pending background checks!" in people's timelines, but I'm having a hard time finding anyone who experienced what we did, our IO didn't tell us yes OR no, just that they couldn't make a decision...yet. Is this a bad sign? If we had "failed" somehow to prove our bonefide marriage, would they have denied us right after the interview? I know we are close to the end of the process, but we just crazy to have this over and done with so we can get on with our married lives (at least until we have to file for removal of conditions). thanks for any help received!

My husband and I (I'm the USC) just had our I-485 interview last week, which wasn't exactly the best experience we've ever had, but we survived. At the end, we were given a sheet of paper that said they couldn't make a decision on our case pending completion of the background checks. Now, all over this site, I see entries such as "Interview: Approved pending background checks!" in people's timelines, but I'm having a hard time finding anyone who experienced what we did, our IO didn't tell us yes OR no, just that they couldn't make a decision...yet. Is this a bad sign? If we had "failed" somehow to prove our bonefide marriage, would they have denied us right after the interview? I know we are close to the end of the process, but we just crazy to have this over and done with so we can get on with our married lives (at least until we have to file for removal of conditions). thanks for any help received!

I don't think it's anything to be concerned about (aside from the additional wait). My husband's case took quite some time to be approved because of the name check delay (see my timeline), and I think I was guilty of using wording similar to "approved pending background check." It really depends on what wording the IO decides to use. The guy who interviewed us specifically said that he approved the case but that a final decision could not be made until the background check cleared. I think he put it that way so that we wouldn't worry or think that something else had to be done. He was careful to tell us that there was nothing we could do and that there was no way of knowing how long it would take.

In your case, my guess is that if the IO wanted additional information or thought something was amiss, you would have been told this specifically. Perhaps IOs are being more careful about how they word things these days--people get excited when they hear "approved!" but then end up waiting for eons (as in our case).

Anyhoo, it sounds like you guys are fine. I hope that your wait isn't too long. And your timing is good re: the new FBI name check 180-day rule.

Edited by Big Agnes!

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I might not be of much help, but my husband is currently waiting for his name check to clear as well. At the end of our interview we did not recieve the same paper as you did. The lady gave hubby a paper about removing conditions in 2 years. She never outright said "yes or no". She said "At this time I can not approve your case b/c you your name check hasn't clear". I took it as a good sign that she gave him the paper out removal of conditions though.

Too much Bla Bla....

You are fine... If they want more they will request it. Might be a pain in the as$ but you are all good...

9/2006 Met in Sweden

2/2007 Began Dating in Holland

11/24/2007 Married (nairobi)

Clerk wedding 12/14/2007 (nairobi)

12/21/2007 Filed DCF

2/13/2008 Interview 221g

Waiting

3/26/2008 Approved

3 months 6 days from filing to approval including 221g AP.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

There is a thread for people with interview pending on name chek, right here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6694 Some people in it might have had an experience similar to yours.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Same thing happened to my wife. There was no 'yes' or 'no' answer - nothing but the file has to be approved or words to that effect. We received the approval notice in couple weeks and the green card in 4 or 5 weeks. Its normal - and some people do get stuck in name-check hell for a long time. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.