bgreed

I 864 question

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Sometimes I think there should be a separate area just for I 864 questions.

OK I've read the instructions several times , but still am not clear on a couple of things so anyone with better government form reading skills is welcome to reply,

Here goes;

First do I file a separate I-864 for each person I am sponsoring (1 for my wife and 1 for her son as they are two separate petitions)

Since I don't get to declare my kids from my previous marriage as deductions on my income tax (even though I pay child support) do I need to show them as dependents? To me the wording says if they aren't on my tax form then I don't have to show them.

So depending on how you read it my dependent count could be four (including me) (my wife and I also have a son together) or six if I include my two other kids.

Any thoughts?

By the way got our NOA1 on February 16th file was touched on 02/24/08 nothing since VSC.

OK I've read the instructions several times , but still am not clear on a couple of things so anyone with better government form reading skills is welcome to reply,

Here goes;

First do I file a separate I-864 for each person I am sponsoring (1 for my wife and 1 for her son as they are two separate petitions)

Since I don't get to declare my kids from my previous marriage as deductions on my income tax (even though I pay child support) do I need to show them as dependents? To me the wording says if they aren't on my tax form then I don't have to show them.

So depending on how you read it my dependent count could be four (including me) (my wife and I also have a son together) or six if I include my two other kids.

Any thoughts?

By the way got our NOA1 on February 16th file was touched on 02/24/08 nothing since VSC.

One form I-864 is enough since there are spaces to cover all the dependents in the household. You won't need to show the non-custodial children .

First trip 01-17-07

Married 02-05-07

What Service Center was filed at? Nebraska transferred to California

Provide dates for the following:

I-130 sent (Mailed)..........................3-12-07

1st NOA (Receipt Notice) .................3-29-07

2nd NOA (Approval Notice) e-mail.....6-15-07

Bill for I-864 processing fee rcd and sent..7-24-07

I-864 Packet Received......................8-18-07

I-864 Mailed to NV............................8-20-07

Bill for DS-230 received....................8-29-07

Payment for DS-230 sent..................8-30-07

DS-230 Packet received..................10-25-07

DS-230 Packet sent to NVC..............10-29-07

Case Completed..............................11-16-07

Case Forwarded to Embassy.............11-30-07

Packet recieved from NVC................12-07-07

Medical complete...............................1-04-08

Leave for Manila................................1-19-08

Interview and approval......................1-22-08

Visa in Hand .....................................1-24-08

Arrived in USA...................................3-19-08

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Here goes;

Any thoughts?

Your profile says K3 but this is the CR1 IR1 forum. K3 uses the I-134, not the I-864. In either event, you use one form for each visa applicant. Wouldn't your son be a US Citizen?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Oops need to change that. We filed the I-130 in January.

My wife has a son from a previous marriage who is eight and then in November we had a son who is now almost five months old.

OK so I need to file an I-864 for my wife and one for my stepson. Now what about my two kids from my previous marriage? Since I don't get to claim them on my income tax even though I pay child support do I necessarily have to show them as dependents?

Timeline
Oops need to change that. We filed the I-130 in January.

My wife has a son from a previous marriage who is eight and then in November we had a son who is now almost five months old.

OK so I need to file an I-864 for my wife and one for my stepson. Now what about my two kids from my previous marriage? Since I don't get to claim them on my income tax even though I pay child support do I necessarily have to show them as dependents?

No, you don't need to show your other two children as dependants.

You filed "the" I-130? You would need an I-130 for your wife and another for her son, if you're going the CR1/CR2 route. Sounds like you have a household of four. You, your wife, your son together and her son.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

PUSHBRK,

I think the 134 or 864 requirement is one of those that isn't at all clear. The official language of the USCIS states that only immigrant visa require I 864. But it appears some consulates require I 864 regardless. So it comes down to the consulate.

I believe some people ( particularly those from CHINA ) are being told to submit I 864 even on K1 and k3. That's confusing.

Edited by SPSguy

**** filed K3/CR1 concurrently. My wife and I both work/live overseas. The following timeline continues from the approval of the K3 VISA.

Our journey
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115855

NVC rec'd 130/ assigned case# 5-15-08
Called to request online payment ID# 5-18-08
Rec'd ds 3032/AOS bill by USPS 5-19-08
Rec'd email Online ID# for payment of AOS and DS3032 5-21-08
Returned ds 3032 by USPS during wife visit to U.S. on K3--5-29-09
Paid AOS online: 7-05-09 ( While in Cambodia )
Rec'd email to pay IV bill 7-7-09
Paid IV bill online 7-08-09
Mailed I-864 2-16-10
I- 864 delivered 2-18-10
Mailed DS 230 2-22-10
Ds 230 delivered 2-24-10
AVR says "NVC is awaiting biographic info from petitioner" 2-24-10
AVR says, "NVC has received the info checklist requested." NVC HAS ENTERED DS-230 INTO COMPUTER 3-01-10
SIF: 3-08-10
AVR Case Complete: 3-09-10
Rec'd interview email/date: 3-15-10
Medical: 4-09-10
INTERVIEW( less than 5 minutes ): 4-26-10 APPROVED
Pickup Visa: 4-30-10
POE: LAX 5/31/10
Overnight REENTRY Permit app: 6/01/10
Rec'd SS: 6-10-10
Rec'd Welcome to USA Letter + Green Card Tracking #: 6-14-10
Rec'd NOA1 letter + receipt # for reentry permit: 6-14-10
Rec'd 10 Yr. GC: 6-21-10
Rec'd Bio appt for reentry permit 7-18-10 but changed to 6-28-10 thru INFOpass: 6-25-10
REentry touches: 9-6-10, 9-29-10, 10-4-10
Rec'd email Reentry mailed 10-07-10
Rec'd reentry permit 10-09-10 ( 4 mths 1 wk )

Naturalized 04/2016

Received US Passport 05/2016

Timeline
PUSHBRK,

I think the 134 or 864 requirement is one of those that isn't at all clear. The official language of the USCIS states that only immigrant visa require I 864. But it appears some consulates require I 864 regardless. So it comes down to the consulate.

I believe some people ( particularly those from CHINA ) are being told to submit I 864 even on K1 and k3. That's confusing.

I believe there are a couple Consulates that ask for an I-864 for K visas even though it is specifically forbidden by law, but China is not one of those countries. The OP's is an immigrant visa case anyway. They need to correct their profile.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Here goes;

Any thoughts?

Okay. You are doing immigrant visas, not K-3 nonimmigrant ones. So the answers are:

Yes, file one I-864 for your wife and another one for her son.

You don't show your kids from your previous marriage, since you don't declare them on your tax return. In a separate note, I think the most divorced couple usually claim their children on tax return every other year.

So total dependent count including you is four.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.