Saigon Bill

Costs of K-1, K-3, DCF or IR1/CR1

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
This is after all the K1 forum...possibly posting the question in each of the other forums..asking how much the process has cost people going through the K3, DCF, etc etc. will give you a better insight.

Unless you are lucky and get someone who knows off hand the costs of all the different visas.

Good point and good idea. I'll do that. Thanks again.

So the AOS... that one must be gotten once inside the US, correct? The fee is due when applying for it? (meaning, the money must be included with the application?) And the flow-chart is a little vague about this -- how long after being in the US would you apply for it? (it says 'as soon as possible' but what does that mean in terms of months/years)

If you enter on a K-1 you are eligible for adjustment of status once the marriage has taken place.

YMMV

DCF and IR-1/CR-1 are the cheapest options. While they may cost slightly more up front, you wont have to pay for AOS later which is $1010. K-1 and K-3 both require AOS to be filed before getting a green card.

DCF if you can qualify for it also likely the fastest option.

All Visas require a medical, which varies by country. In Indonesia it was about $60, plus another $60 for all the vaccines.

At the interview or slightly before it, K-1 and K-3 pay a non-immigrant visa fee of $131. DCF and IR-1/CR-1 pay an immigrant visa fee of $355.

Other than K-1, i dont know what it will cost to file the forms for the particular visa. K-1 costs $455 to file the petition.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline
At the interview or slightly before it, K-1 and K-3 pay a non-immigrant visa fee of $131. DCF and IR-1/CR-1 pay an immigrant visa fee of $355.

Now I believe the visa fee has risen to $400

YMMV

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
This is after all the K1 forum...possibly posting the question in each of the other forums..asking how much the process has cost people going through the K3, DCF, etc etc. will give you a better insight.

Unless you are lucky and get someone who knows off hand the costs of all the different visas.

Good point and good idea. I'll do that. Thanks again.

So the AOS... that one must be gotten once inside the US, correct? The fee is due when applying for it? (meaning, the money must be included with the application?) And the flow-chart is a little vague about this -- how long after being in the US would you apply for it? (it says 'as soon as possible' but what does that mean in terms of months/years)

The VJ guides are a great place to start, as well as FAQs. Also, if you are trying to figure out which route to take, may I recommend NOLO's Fiance and Marriage Visa book, which has been a lifesaver for me as well.

Are you married yet? Because that will determine which route you take as well.

As far as AOS, you will apply for that once you or your fiancee is in the US after marriage. The time frame depends on which visa you or she enters on. If you come on a K1, that visa is good for 90 days, meaning you should get married before 90 days is up. Once you are married and have your marriage cert, then you apply for AOS, which is over $1000. According to the uscis site, AOS takes anywhere from 3 months to 1 year depending on where you are, and I have heard stories here on VJ where it takes longer.

You don't give too much information so it's hard to give you better answers than this, but hopefully this helps some.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

According to this: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html its still $355, though it did recently rise from $335.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline

According to this: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html its still $355, though it did recently rise from $335.

Your forgetting..

Immigrant visa security surcharge, for all IV and DV applicants: $45.00

YMMV

• 1 year later...

Why is the K-3 process the most expensive? What are the perks of going through this route?

I'm asking because I'm doing K-3, and have been made aware just how much of a difference this visa and the CR-1 exists in terms of price. Surely, there has to be a reason why K-3 visas come so $$$.

Aug 21/04 - Met at ethnic community bbq/field day (Seattle)

Aug 26/04 - First date (Vancouver)

Nov 24-29/04 - Met his mother & her side of family (Philadelphia)

June 15/05 - He moves to Seattle

Aug 19/07 - Our engagement & engagement party (Vancouver)

Aug 23/08 - WEDDING

Nov 23/08 - Petition for I-130 & I-129f

Feb 12/09 - both petitions approved

Feb 20/09 - K3 package received

April 27/09 - Medical exam (Vancouver)

May 28/09 - K3 Interview (Vancouver)

May 29/09 - pick up approved visa!

June 21/09 - POE @ Pac Hwy, arrived to our apt in Seattle

June 22/09 - apply for AOS & EAD

July 6/09 - AOS & EAD received by USCIS, being processed

July 13/09 - Biometrics letter received

Aug 3/09 - Biometrics appointment

Aug 19/09 - AOS interview appointment letter received

Aug 24/09 - EAD received

Aug 8/09 - SSN received

Sept 17/09 - AOS interview - PASSED!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.