doodlebugg

k-3 filing ead before aos?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I read the guides and a ton of threads but I just want to make double sure that I have this right for the situation of a K-3 wanting to file for EAD but not concurrently with AOS.

step 1 - husband arrives and gets I-94 at port of entry

step 2 - send in I-94, copy of passport, copy of K-3 visa, 2 passport sized photos, form I-765 and a check for $340 to the Chicago Office.

step 3 - Chicago looks all this over and sends to Boston Office

step 4 - Receive EAD, God willing, in about 90 days

step 5 - EAD is good for 1 year and within that time file AOS

Does that about sum it up? I can't really shell out the full fee for AOS right now so we figure just file for EAD and then he can earn the AOS money himself and file once he's saved it up.

Thanks! :thumbs:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Timeline
I read the guides and a ton of threads but I just want to make double sure that I have this right for the situation of a K-3 wanting to file for EAD but not concurrently with AOS.

step 2 - send in I-94, copy of passport, copy of K-3 visa, 2 passport sized photos, form I-765 and a check for $340 to the Chicago Office.

Does that about sum it up? I can't really shell out the full fee for AOS right now so we figure just file for EAD and then he can earn the AOS money himself and file once he's saved it up.

You are almost right......

Do not send in the I-94 only send a photocopy not the original.....

EAD is valid for the same time as the K3(2 years)

this means that you can wait until after your 2nd wedding anniversary before filling for AOS and then you will not have to deal with removing the conditions....

EAD should be approved between 60 - 90 days

Kez

Timeline

You are almost right......

Do not send in the I-94 only send a photocopy not the original.....

EAD is valid for the same time as the K3(2 years)

this means that you can wait until after your 2nd wedding anniversary before filling for AOS and then you will not have to deal with removing the conditions....

EAD should be approved between 60 - 90 days

Kez

Thanks!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

FWIW Department: It's a little late, but others may benefit.

At the JFK POE, USCIS grants EAD via a stamp on the I-94 card if asked. It's valid for the duration of the entry visa, 90 days for my wife's K-1. We routed through JFK for this reason, even though we are only a couple hours west of Detroit. We filed the I-765 shortly after arrival at my home. She received the card in the mail about 7-1/2 weeks later.

R & T

Join a free international relationship forum http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RussianBrideList (http://tinyurl.com/yagk6wu)

The RBL is a forum of 1,400+ members(married, searching and single) in active discussions about emigration/immigration concerns

and visas, East-West Relations, EE history. Current topics include immigration issues, learning the language, children in American

schools, deals on apartments and airfare when visiting the former Soviet Union(especially Ukraine and Russia), and more!

100% free from support by commercial interests.

2007-01-19 I-129F Sent to Nebraska to sponsor fiancee in Kiev

2007-01-26 NOA1

2007-05-10 NOA2 Approved

2007-05-18 NVC receives application

2007-07-03 Interview went off without a snag! K-1 visa APPROVED

2007-07-10 International passport with K-1 visa received from courier

2007-07-17 Entered U.S. at JFK

2007-09-07 MARRIED!

2007-10-06 NOA1 for AOS and EAD, 12-10 EAD Card ordered per USCIS site, and THREE CRIS emails

2008-03-26 Effortless and pleasant AOS I-485 interview in Detroit APPROVED!

2009-09-18 Tania's first visit home, eager to get back to the U.S. due to poor living conditions in Ukraine

2010-01-25 Mailed I-751 for "Lifting of Conditions" AKA 10 year green card

2010-02-08 Biometrics appointment NOA, 02-15 Biometrics appointment, simple and quick

At the JFK POE, USCIS grants EAD via a stamp on the I-94 card if asked. It's valid for the duration of the entry visa, 90 days for my wife's K-1. We routed through JFK for this reason, even though we are only a couple hours west of Detroit. We filed the I-765 shortly after arrival at my home. She received the card in the mail about 7-1/2 weeks later.

R & T

The OP is coming on a K3 visa and K3 visa holders are not eligible for the EAD stamp from JKF as a K3 is not work authorized.... that only applies to K1 visa holders for the first 90 days after entry.....

Kez

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

R & T

The OP is coming on a K3 visa and K3 visa holders are not eligible for the EAD stamp from JKF as a K3 is not work authorized.... that only applies to K1 visa holders for the first 90 days after entry.....

Kez

Kez,

Thank you for the clarification! Can you point me to the official description of this difference? Of course, the best is a current post at uscis.gov.

R & T

Join a free international relationship forum http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RussianBrideList (http://tinyurl.com/yagk6wu)

The RBL is a forum of 1,400+ members(married, searching and single) in active discussions about emigration/immigration concerns

and visas, East-West Relations, EE history. Current topics include immigration issues, learning the language, children in American

schools, deals on apartments and airfare when visiting the former Soviet Union(especially Ukraine and Russia), and more!

100% free from support by commercial interests.

2007-01-19 I-129F Sent to Nebraska to sponsor fiancee in Kiev

2007-01-26 NOA1

2007-05-10 NOA2 Approved

2007-05-18 NVC receives application

2007-07-03 Interview went off without a snag! K-1 visa APPROVED

2007-07-10 International passport with K-1 visa received from courier

2007-07-17 Entered U.S. at JFK

2007-09-07 MARRIED!

2007-10-06 NOA1 for AOS and EAD, 12-10 EAD Card ordered per USCIS site, and THREE CRIS emails

2008-03-26 Effortless and pleasant AOS I-485 interview in Detroit APPROVED!

2009-09-18 Tania's first visit home, eager to get back to the U.S. due to poor living conditions in Ukraine

2010-01-25 Mailed I-751 for "Lifting of Conditions" AKA 10 year green card

2010-02-08 Biometrics appointment NOA, 02-15 Biometrics appointment, simple and quick

R & T

Kez

Kez,

Thank you for the clarification! Can you point me to the official description of this difference? Of course, the best is a current post at uscis.gov.

R & T

They are 2 diffrent visas..... K1 if not married K3 if married... I do not have a link that show an official diffrence between K1 & K3, but you could start by reading the information on the USCIS website about the 2 diffrent visas...

Kez

Timeline

Yeah you K-1 people got it made in that respect! I'll never understand why a spouse cannot get that stamp but a fiance can. Boggles my mind! Would save us $340 if we got that since then he could right off the bat work and make the money for the AOS!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: England
Timeline

We just sent our EAD to Vermont and received the card in 24 days. We applied for the SS card the day after and received it in less than a week! So it seems to be going pretty fast now.

Kristi

I-130:

05/18/07: Mailed USPS

05/23/07: Received at CSC

06/13/07: Case pending at CSC

06/15/07: Received NOA1 by mail w/ notice date of 06/11/07

09/27/07: Touched

11/20/07: NOA2 Notice Sent YAY!!!!!!!

11/26/07: Recieved NOA2 in the mail!

I-129F:

06/20/07: Mailed USPS

06/25/07: Delivered @ MSC

06/30/07: Received NOA1 by mail w/ notice date of 06/28/07

07/12/07: Case transferred to CSC

07/19/07 Case now pending at CSC

10/12/07: Touched

10/15/07: Touched

11/26/07: Received NOA2 by mail with approval date of 11/20

12/17/07: NVC receives case

12/20/07: NVC sends case to London Embassy

01/05/08: Packet 3 Received

01/08/08: Packet 3 sent to Embassy

01/10/08: Medical

01/30/08: Packet 4 Received

02/08/08: Interview!!! APPROVED!!!

02/21/08: Owen Enters US with K-3 visa

EAD:

02/25/08: Sent to Vermont

03/04/08: NOA

03/12/08: Card Production Ordered

03/19/08: Approval Notice Sent

03/20/08: EAD Card Received!

03/21/08: SSN applied for

03/27/08: SS card Received!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Sorry about this bout of sour grapes but, it is TOTALLY ABSURD that a K-1 should get it and a K-3 should not!!

A K-3 is more than likely going to AOS, and in any case is ALREADY married to a USC.

A K-1, without any offence, is just a person who might marry a US citizen...

I think this is a clear case of double standards and I do not see the rationale behind it..

Kez

GREAT news, thanks! and congratulations! Hope this is not a one-off... 3 weeks for a EAD is bearable...

We just sent our EAD to Vermont and received the card in 24 days. We applied for the SS card the day after and received it in less than a week! So it seems to be going pretty fast now.

Kristi

Timeline
got my EAD in 42 days vermont center now applying for SSN

Kristi

That's good news but now I'm confused. I thought we sent the application to Chicago and they then in turn send it to Boston or whatever Local center there is. How does Vermont come into the picture? :unsure:

Timeline

hmmm....ok per the guides on vj it states that k-3's filing separately from aos should file at the chicago office. This is wrong. When you read the directions from the uscis site it states that you file at a different place depending on where you live, so in my case it would be the vermont service center. The guide here is misleading in that respect I think unless this is a new development and someone just hasn't updated the guide in a while. Just thought I'd point that out. :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Yes on the USCIS site, it says that if you have a K-3 and are filing separate from AOS to file the EAD at the corosponding office. It's not a local office, they have categories depending on where you live for where to send it. I live in Florida and it said to send it to Vermont. We did and there where no problems. Hope this helps....

Kristi

I-130:

05/18/07: Mailed USPS

05/23/07: Received at CSC

06/13/07: Case pending at CSC

06/15/07: Received NOA1 by mail w/ notice date of 06/11/07

09/27/07: Touched

11/20/07: NOA2 Notice Sent YAY!!!!!!!

11/26/07: Recieved NOA2 in the mail!

I-129F:

06/20/07: Mailed USPS

06/25/07: Delivered @ MSC

06/30/07: Received NOA1 by mail w/ notice date of 06/28/07

07/12/07: Case transferred to CSC

07/19/07 Case now pending at CSC

10/12/07: Touched

10/15/07: Touched

11/26/07: Received NOA2 by mail with approval date of 11/20

12/17/07: NVC receives case

12/20/07: NVC sends case to London Embassy

01/05/08: Packet 3 Received

01/08/08: Packet 3 sent to Embassy

01/10/08: Medical

01/30/08: Packet 4 Received

02/08/08: Interview!!! APPROVED!!!

02/21/08: Owen Enters US with K-3 visa

EAD:

02/25/08: Sent to Vermont

03/04/08: NOA

03/12/08: Card Production Ordered

03/19/08: Approval Notice Sent

03/20/08: EAD Card Received!

03/21/08: SSN applied for

03/27/08: SS card Received!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.