chocolaterie

If you were the manager what would you do?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband works for DHL. Today, mysteriously 3 employees from his department called in sick. All 3 happened to be Mexican. Arizona is a right to work state. My husband's manager is no dummy, she knows they won't be able to bring in a doctor's note validating their absence. If you were in her shoes, what would you do?

I am curious to everyone's answer. Obviously, this ties in with the whole immigration issue. Would you give them special treatment?

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
My husband works for DHL. Today, mysteriously 3 employees from his department called in sick. All 3 happened to be Mexican. Arizona is a right to work state. My husband's manager is no dummy, she knows they won't be able to bring in a doctor's note validating their absence. If you were in her shoes, what would you do?

I am curious to everyone's answer. Obviously, this ties in with the whole immigration issue. Would you give them special treatment?

2 questions

Are doctor notes required from all employees for a one day absense?

and did anyone witness them out in the rallies or involved in some action that would indicate they were not sick?

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

May 18, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

May 20, 2005 - Received Date

June 2, 2005 - Notice Date

June 6, 2005 - Received NOA1

September 10, 2005No action to date

December 1, 2005 -Approved

I129

August 25, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

September 7, 2005 - "touched" I think

September 12, 2005 - Received NOA1 showing receipt date of August 30, 2005

October 17, 2005 - APPROVED!!!

November 27, 2005 - Received by NVC

November 3, 2005 - RFE received from Consulate

November 18, 2005 - RFE delivered to Consulate

November 28, 2005 - Instructions received

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

March 23 - Checklist received

May 12 - Packet 4 received

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

June 7 - Steve Arrived home

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

depends on the company.. radioshack stood in the middle.. if the associates wanted to go protest they had to ask permission for the day, no retaliations..

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The reason I ask is this, if it's not required of all employees to supply a doctors note after calling in on a one day absence, and no one witnessed them involved in the rallies or doing any other thing that might indicate they were faking illness in support of this, I would have to say let it go.

I couldn't endorse reprimanding them based on an assumption that might or might not be valid.

I know I wouldn't feel it fair or appropriate if I was reprimanded based on only an assumption of wrong doing.

My manger and co-workers are well aware that I am struggling through the immigration process. And I myself called in sick today. They could easily assume that I did so to participate in the boycot or rallies but they would be wrong.

I stayed home because my daughter is still recovering after having a severe reaction to contrast for an MRI last week, and another reaction from the medication given to her to treat the first reaction, she was still quite ill today.

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

May 18, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

May 20, 2005 - Received Date

June 2, 2005 - Notice Date

June 6, 2005 - Received NOA1

September 10, 2005No action to date

December 1, 2005 -Approved

I129

August 25, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

September 7, 2005 - "touched" I think

September 12, 2005 - Received NOA1 showing receipt date of August 30, 2005

October 17, 2005 - APPROVED!!!

November 27, 2005 - Received by NVC

November 3, 2005 - RFE received from Consulate

November 18, 2005 - RFE delivered to Consulate

November 28, 2005 - Instructions received

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

March 23 - Checklist received

May 12 - Packet 4 received

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

June 7 - Steve Arrived home

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline

Terminated! Most they can do would be to file for unemployment and good luck with that. Arizona favors employers not employees. However, none of this amounts to a hill of beans unless future hiring practices are changed!!

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_uzbek_2fagm.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I would of covered the "unfair treatment" compliant ahead of time... I would of had everyone read and sign an office memo (that's in ENGLISH) that on May 1st 2006, that if anyone called in sick that they would be required to bring in a Dr's note. If anyone was seen out participating in the protests, and they had a Dr's excuse because they were sick, they would be fired. They didn't get a dr's excuse... fired. When I call and show up at their house and no one answers... fired.

But... I'm mean, I know.

How it Started

2001 to Feb 2002 - Met online, were acquintances

Mar to Apr 2005 - Talked about finally giving in to our feelings and getting married

Aug 1 to Aug 7, 2005 - Fifth US Visit - Engaged

Time for the Visa

Dec 8, 2005 - Finally mailed Packet

Dec 20, 2005 - NOA1 Notice Date

Dec 27, 2005 - NOA1 Rcv'd in Mail

Mar 10, 2006 - NOA2 Approved

Mar 23, 2006 - NVC Received Packet

Mar 24, 2006 - Case Forwarded to London Embassy

Apr 7, 2006 - Recieved Packet 3

May 11, 2006 - Packet 3 Sent Back

May 24, 2006 - Medical Appointment

May 24, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

Jun 14, 2006 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!

Jun 16, 2006 - Visa Recieved

Timeline

Who hasn't pulled a sick day for personal reasons occasionally, regardless of what those reasons are? I'd hardly call overlooking this in the absence of definite proof that they were breaking rules 'special treatment'. If the company didn't have a policy in place for employees covering this specific situation, then that's the company's mistake.

Edited by elizaxyz

Timeline

2 questions

Are doctor notes required from all employees for a one day absense?

and did anyone witness them out in the rallies or involved in some action that would indicate they were not sick?

I just asked my husband, and he said it's not 100% required, but employees bring them in to show their "good standing". Also, it's a good practice because it shows you're not abusing the reason. Arizona is a very different state, indeed employers are favored over employees. The manager had called the employees to return to work, and none of them showed or returned her call. If I were her I would be very displeased, since 2/3 of the employees had very recent promotions.

Who hasn't pulled a sick day for personal reasons occasionally, regardless of what those reasons are? I'd hardly call overlooking this in the absence of definite proof that they were breaking rules 'special treatment'. If the company didn't have a policy in place for employees covering this specific situation, then that's the company's mistake.

The managers made the statement that if it were discovered such employees were abusing sick days instead of asking for it off they would be reprimanded for it. Personal reasons are not to interfere with a professional atmosphere. In AZ people are fired for less.

AOS

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

Aug 21 2006 touched

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
:no: You can be sick and often times not be able to get in to see your Dr. on that same day...Then what, your automatically terminated? It's ridiculous to expect an employee to go to the Dr. every time they take a day off. If I get the squirts, I'm not going to see a Dr., and I'm damn sure not going to work and risk crapping my pants....

Timeline
The managers made the statement that if it were discovered such employees were abusing sick days instead of asking for it off they would be reprimanded for it. Personal reasons are not to interfere with a professional atmosphere. In AZ people are fired for less.

Then there's your answer. If she can prove that they were abusing sick days, she should reprimand them, if she can't, she'll have to let it go. You have to expect consequences when you take political action, occasionally-- I was told in no uncertain terms what would happen to me if I called in sick during the New York Republican Convention, since everyone in the office knew I would be protesting in the evenings. (Fortunately I didn't get arrested!) : )

It really comes down to what will best serve the workplace. Putting more effort that usual into proving these guys were abusing sick days sounds more divisive than anything else.

I've never lived or worked in Arizona, and I'm not sure I'd want to, from what I'm reading here. Sounds like a place in need of a strong labor movement.

Edited by elizaxyz

Timeline
:no: You can be sick and often times not be able to get in to see your Dr. on that same day...Then what, your automatically terminated? It's ridiculous to expect an employee to go to the Dr. every time they take a day off. If I get the squirts, I'm not going to see a Dr., and I'm damn sure not going to work and risk crapping my pants....

In most states this would be the case. Being from Canada, we do not have such stringent laws, but Arizona is Arizona.

Then there's your answer. If she can prove that they were abusing sick days, she should reprimand them, if she can't, she'll have to let it go. You have to expect consequences when you take political action, occasionally-- I was told in no uncertain terms what would happen to me if I called in sick during the New York Republican Convention, since everyone in the office knew I would be protesting in the evenings. (Fortunately I didn't get arrested!) : )

It really comes down to what will best serve the workplace. Putting more effort that usual into proving these guys were abusing sick days sounds more divisive than anything else.

I've never lived or worked in Arizona, and I'm not sure I'd want to, from what I'm reading here. Sounds like a place in need of a strong labor movement.

I wasn't looking for an answer as stated in my initial post I was interested in what OTHERS would do in her place. I already know what I would do. She's in a difficult spot because she can understand why they are protesting but at the same time she is a manager. And I don't know how much effort it would take to prove they were abusing the system, like I said earlier people are fired for less. You probably wouldn't fare well in AZ many people don't.

The whole crux of my post is to find out the general opinion of others. If it isn't already obvious this ties into the greater picture of immigration.

Edited by chocolaterie

AOS

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Aug 21 2006 touched

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In most states this would be the case. Being from Canada, we do not have such stringent laws, but Arizona is Arizona.

It is everything to do with your employer and nothing to do with the state of Arizona..I lived and worked in Prescott, Az for 11 years and my employer never ever gave me any problem with taking a day off when I was ill...Often times I went to work sick and they sent me back home as well...No Dr.'s note required...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I think if anyone could fire a man or woman for exercising their right to protest peacefully or discriminate against people simply because of there race, religion or simply where they are from.. or even worse, declare that everyone should speak/read & write in English, since when was English the only official language in the US? or use other dirty tricks on employees.. Then what has the world come to? Are people beginning to devolve back into the creatures that had the sickening mentality that brought about mass discrimination based on.. anything certain people (idiots) deemed right!

You can’t and shouldn’t try to take away someone’s right to protest, march or penalize them for exercising that right, or maybe illegals don’t have any rights? Not even basic human rights? Its an insane idea to suggest that people should be fired for taking the day off march or no march.. if I had a boss that called and showed up at my house, I’d happily tell them where to put there job before smacking them in the face. I really detest the type of people that assume because you’re their employee then you’re their or the company’s property. :angry:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Timeline
I wasn't looking for an answer as stated in my initial post I was interested in what OTHERS would do in her place. I already know what I would do. She's in a difficult spot because she can understand why they are protesting but at the same time she is a manager. And I don't know how much effort it would take to prove they were abusing the system, like I said earlier people are fired for less. You probably wouldn't fare will in AZ many people don't.

Fair enough; there's my answer, I should have said. It is a tough spot, definitely. It hardly seems like it should be a firing offense, though. I'm sure I wouldn't do well in Arizona; I love to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Timeline

Well my husband has been working in the IT industry since he was 14. That makes it 11 years for him as well. Perhaps Prescott being such a small town would make it more liberal in the way they govern their employees, or maybe it had to do with your field of employment. I did not grow up in AZ but he has and so has all his friends/family who can attest to my previous statement. I, personally do not have first hand experience with such managers. I know when I worked up at Esker Lakes (being that your fiance(e) is from Canada, s/he may know where this is, it is probably a town about the same size. I found they were much more employee friendly than all the businesses I worked for in Toronto.

It is everything to do with your employer and nothing to do with the state of Arizona..I lived and worked in Prescott, Az for 11 years and my employer never ever gave me any problem with taking a day off when I was ill...Often times I went to work sick and they sent me back home as well...No Dr.'s note required...

AOS

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Aug 21 2006 touched