Roy&katy

k-1 interview denied temorarily?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
yes and the letter they gave her keeps saying bring your husband to ecuador to interview with you, and have a marriage interview, but we are not even married...Im not sure what they want. I sent the information to my senator and they are going to ask the consul what is it that they are looking for.. because the letter they gave her said bring items with rent and bills in each other names, and that.

It seems like they are unaware this is a K-1 interview not a K-3 nor CR! Or maybe they used the same format for every second interview letter, this is all so confusing! What they are asking you to bring is what they ask for married couples.

Have you tried sending an email to the Embassy? Their email should be on the website, include your case number and explain your situation and ask them what they want.

I hope you are able to solve this soon!

Yes, my senator emailed the consulate this morning inquiring as what else they require for this case and why are they asking for a "wedding interview" I would fly down there next week if they would interview us. So the senators office is going to try to help with that. I dont mind going to an interview, if i would have known i could go to it, i would have went.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Honestly, I doubt your place of meeting has anything to do with your situation. The I-129f was adudicated and the ConOff is not suppose to re-adjudicate a petition. There has to have been some lack of evidence proving a bonafide relationship or other circumstance that prompted the ConOff to seek additional validation.

Right, they wouldn't be questioning the evidence of meeting requirement. It would be about the relationship bona fides. Maybe the fact you didn't visit during the process along with skimpy evidence would be the cause. You may never know but you know what to do now.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Honestly, I doubt your place of meeting has anything to do with your situation. The I-129f was adudicated and the ConOff is not suppose to re-adjudicate a petition. There has to have been some lack of evidence proving a bonafide relationship or other circumstance that prompted the ConOff to seek additional validation.

Right, they wouldn't be questioning the evidence of meeting requirement. It would be about the relationship bona fides. Maybe the fact you didn't visit during the process along with skimpy evidence would be the cause. You may never know but you know what to do now.

yes we hope its approved soon :)

Timeline

yes we hope its approved soon :)

Wow... ditto... i hope everything goes well. I do not understnad how they could have messed this up but it's something to pray for. This kind of shook me a bit since my fiance and I are just getting to the point of receiving an interview. Please keep us updated as to how this plays out. Wish you the best!

masterpiece91

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Well, guess what? My fiancee went to the interview today and was denied. The consul apparently wanted to see telephone bills (some were included in the I-129f package, if I recall), evidence of a joint bank account, and for ME to be there in SEPTEMBER to attend a "marriage interview." [censored] I had e-mailed these people in January to ASK if it were required or desirable for me to also be there, and they did not comment. [censored]

I have already contacted my Congressman's office. From Roy&Katy's story to mine, there seems a pattern here of treating two different visa applications -- K1 & K3 -- just the same.

Roy, where exactly on the Guayaquil Consulate website does it say that only the beneficiary is entitled to be interviewed? I have not found that yet.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
Well, guess what? My fiancee went to the interview today and was denied. The consul apparently wanted to see telephone bills (some were included in the I-129f package, if I recall), evidence of a joint bank account, and for ME to be there in SEPTEMBER to attend a "marriage interview." [censored] I had e-mailed these people in January to ASK if it were required or desirable for me to also be there, and they did not comment. [censored]

I have already contacted my Congressman's office. From Roy&Katy's story to mine, there seems a pattern here of treating two different visa applications -- K1 & K3 -- just the same.

Roy, where exactly on the Guayaquil Consulate website does it say that only the beneficiary is entitled to be interviewed? I have not found that yet.

actually on the guayaquil website, it says, not even the u.s. petitioner can attend the interview. It says ONLY the beneficiary and an approved translator if required. I dont get it either. they never told us exactly what evidence they required. we showed them some of everything. All we can do is show them more of what we already have.

Timeline
actually on the guayaquil website, it says, not even the u.s. petitioner can attend the interview. It says ONLY the beneficiary and an approved translator if required. I dont get it either. they never told us exactly what evidence they required. we showed them some of everything. All we can do is show them more of what we already have.

I found that part about solo interviews -- #8 under "Frequently Asked Questions."

Where do things stand for you NOW -- have you called your Congressman, or an attorney? What's your status? Did you get the name of the officer who interviewed Katy?

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

TBoneTX, I'm so sorry you guys are going through this as well. You are right, this Consulate seems to have the tendency to treat K-1 and K-3 equally!

I googled the Guayaquil Consulate website, and I was not able to find where it says that the US Citizens is not allowe during the interview, but I did found something that might explain all this mess, on Packet 4 instructions, if you read where it says "Proof of relationship to the petitioner" it lists: receipts under BOTH names! and then if you read the instructions for K-3 they have the exact same requirements, which does not make sense! We don't have any bills nor receipts under both of our names, my fiance and I had never bought anything together.

I understand that all Consulates are differnt and may have their own policies, but their policies and requirements should not contradict the nature of the K-1 visa itself, in this a K-1 beneficiary, would have a hard time submitting the documents they are listing, as those are documents required for married couples.

About the phone bills, it would be a good idea submit recent phone bills, besides the ones you submitted with the I-129F.

I hope you and Roy&katy are able to solve this out!

Good luck to you guys!

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Timeline
TBoneTX, I'm so sorry you guys are going through this as well. You are right, this Consulate seems to have the tendency to treat K-1 and K-3 equally! [...]

I hope you and Roy&katy are able to solve this out! Good luck to you guys!

Thanks very much, si man.

I talked with Cristina just now, and the news may be "not as bad" as originally feared. She said that the consul kept ALL of our stuff (except for the extra set of my financial poop that I'd given her) -- a good sign; all that they apparently want is "more proof," and to meet me. Unless there's some specific "proof" that they define, I believe that all we should (can) do is to provide EVERY e-mail and EVERY photo from Day One, plus phone bills, receipts that we didn't give them, etc., si man. I have just printed off a log of approximately 300 e-mails to, from, and about us.

I also poked around VJ and saw the idea of providing testimonial letters from every family member, colleague, friend, Roman, and countryman who is aware of our relationship and can attest that it's "genuine." I will talk with another lawyer or two to refine this idea.

Finally, I plan to cover the entire pile with a colored sheet that says: "It is said that the most dangerous food is Wedding Cake. To test this theory, we need our K-1 visa." Or something. Si, man.

Timeline

Update as of this morn: Fiancee revisited Consulate & was told that the re-interview can be set for anytime, via the phone line for appointments. Consulate replied to my inquiry with this, in part:

"As for the letter your fiancée was given a letter, it suggested she schedule an appointment for a joint interview to be conducted here at the consulate. If you want to bring additional documents to that interview to prove your relationship, you are more than welcome to do so. This proof can be in a variety of forms such as pictures, letters, or shared bank accounts."

This almost makes the "additional evidence" sound optional.

In addition, I directly phoned the premier immigration attorney in town, who concurred with my plan to slather the Consul with evidence. He considered the collecting of testimonial letters from friends, relatives, et al. to be quite a good idea. He views the situation as an issue of fact, not of legalities. He said that the Consulate cannot REQUIRE that I appear there in person, but they can also refuse to issue the visa if I don't appear. (The consuls can determine things from seeing a couple together in person.) Also, since photos of us with her family were part of the original I-129f package, he suggested pointing or pulling these out during the re-interview.

I am not a lawyer, and none of this is to be construed as legal advice that applies to your situation, but it may suggest avenues to explore.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.