sereia

religious?

religious?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is your husband religious?

• Yes! He prays everyday, keeps ramadan, attends mosque, eats halal, and does not drink/smoke/etc.
    • He's a believer yet he drinks/smokes or something else he's not supposed to do. And does not pray or attend mosque very often (or ever).
    • Not at all. From a religious background but rejects it as an adult.
    • Not muslim.

34 posts in this topic

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Lebanon
Timeline

George is Christian...he is a good believer in God, he smokes, he drinks occasionally(when we dont live in Saudi that is), eats pork, goes to church sometimes, we will have the baby baptized, carries his Rosary with him most of the time for protection.

I wasnt raised in a very religious household, but was baptized methodist, i will someday become Catholic on my own will not because George is asking me to. I believe in God.

June 11 05-Married George, civil ceremony in New York

May 30 08-Baby Joshua was born

Jan 15-Back to NY we go...

May 10-made decision not to go back overseas.

July 10-filed for divorce

Jan 11-Divorce final

July 11-1st trip to take Josh to see George

Mar 12-2nd trip to take Josh to see George

MfXV.jpg.png

1LR1.jpg.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

My husband is very religious. He smokes but never drinks. He prays 5 times a day 365 days a year. He only eats halal foods. He loves God and prays and talks to Him all the time. I am Christian and I pray and talk to God all the time too. We both go to Jumah prayer at the masjid on Fridays. He has visited my church with me a few times.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I voted yes. My husband....

-prays everyday

-goes to Mosque if/when he is off on a Friday

-only eats halal

-does not smoke or drink

-listens to or reads quran everyday

-fasts at Ramadan and other times throughout the year

I am surprised though as he's been here almost a year and a half and still keeps it up.

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

I voted yes. My husband....

-prays everyday

-goes to Mosque if/when he is off on a Friday

-only eats halal

-does not smoke or drink

-listens to or reads quran everyday

-fasts at Ramadan and other times throughout the year

I am surprised though as he's been here almost a year and a half and still keeps it up.

It is not hard to keep it up. It becomes a daily routine.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Not always easy here. Can't go to the mosque because he doesn't drive, I work too far away to drive him, and no buses or taxi's in the area. The only halal meat I can find has a very bad smell, and I worry that it is dangerous. He doesn't drink or smoke, he prays, he fasts. He follows the best he can with what he can. Being Muslim here isn't easy. I give credit to those that do the best they can.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'm mostly religious ... I miss the prayer sometimes ... ... ... I'm forgetful.

T_T

Other than that I follow as closely as I can. I've got a library of food ingredients remembered ... ;) and read *ALL* the labels when shopping. ( so much - that while I'm running thru the supermarket - I save people from food poisoning by circling the expired dates on stuff that I find - with black permanent marker. Store don't like it? How bout' I tell the health inspector rather than your stockers? ;) You'd be surprised. I've found stuff 6mos - 1 year expired sitting in the market. GROSS. )

Not always easy here. Can't go to the mosque because he doesn't drive, I work too far away to drive him, and no buses or taxi's in the area. The only halal meat I can find has a very bad smell, and I worry that it is dangerous. He doesn't drink or smoke, he prays, he fasts. He follows the best he can with what he can. Being Muslim here isn't easy. I give credit to those that do the best they can.

Get KOSHER meat if you can get your hands on it. It's acceptable.

Watch out for cheese. Use KOSHER if you can find it, or get HALAL cheese. Why doesn't cheese always have a Kosher marking? Because you can't mix MEAT and CHEESE - what's this mean? There is ANIMAL-BELLY in cheese. The cheaper the cheese, the more likely there's PORK BELLY in the cheese. Vegetarian cheeses - like the kind you'd find at Whole Foods - are *ALL* good to eat.

That applies to ALL CHEESE. Halal may have sheep or calf in it (unlike kosher.)

[ plus a small note to Christians : read Leviticus. Consider what it says. ]

Edited by KyanWan

The moral of my story: Stick with someone who matches your own culture.

( This coming from an Arab who married an Arab from overseas... go figure. )

Alhamdulillah, your husband is trying hard, as much as he can. Once he will be able to drive, it will be easier for him to go to places. So you do not have any halal meat store nearby? Have you done any search online to find it?

Edited by simple_male

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I'm mostly religious ... I miss the prayer sometimes ... ... ... I'm forgetful.

T_T

Other than that I follow as closely as I can. I've got a library of food ingredients remembered ... ;) and read *ALL* the labels when shopping. ( so much - that while I'm running thru the supermarket - I save people from food poisoning by circling the expired dates on stuff that I find - with black permanent marker. Store don't like it? How bout' I tell the health inspector rather than your stockers? ;) You'd be surprised. I've found stuff 6mos - 1 year expired sitting in the market. GROSS. )

Get KOSHER meat if you can get your hands on it. It's acceptable.

Watch out for cheese. Use KOSHER if you can find it, or get HALAL cheese. Why doesn't cheese always have a Kosher marking? Because you can't mix MEAT and CHEESE - what's this mean? There is ANIMAL-BELLY in cheese. The cheaper the cheese, the more likely there's PORK BELLY in the cheese. Vegetarian cheeses - like the kind you'd find at Whole Foods - are *ALL* good to eat.

That applies to ALL CHEESE. Halal may have sheep or calf in it (unlike kosher.)

Thanks for the suggestion, I had heard that Kosher would work too, but we don't even have that! I did a search and read somewhere that Walmart has kosher, but when I checked with the local walmart they didn't know what I was talking about.

We know a sprinkling of Muslims here, but everyone has the same issues. At least I can say I have tried, and will continue to try.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

You know what I hate??? The stores have these wonderful mixes of chicken sausages blended with various herbs yet they are encased in pork casings!!!!! This is so frustrating. I have only been able to find one store so far other than the halal stores that sell a brand in non-pork casings but it's wicked gross with no nice blend of herbs and the casing is pathetically weak.

I wonder how bad it is to take the nice convenient chicken sausage and just rip the pork casing away and cook the insides? :unsure:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

thats an idea. lol my husband ripped a piece of pepperoni off a piece of pizza and ate it anyway! it was a tiny piece stuck only to the side of his slice (i guess it came from a 1/2 & 1/2 pizza)

Edited by sereia

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Actually there are 2 schools of thought-- Rabbinical kosher doesn't mix any dairy and meat. Biblical kosher allows for it but has a simple prohibition. To cook a calf in its mother's milk is 1) very specific and 2) points to killing the last of a "kind." Abraham uses a milk-meat dish to feed the angel visitors is an example of this. One could claim that that was because the "kosher" laws were not in effect, but then one would have to explain why Noah knows of clean and unclean animals.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Actually there are 2 schools of thought-- Rabbinical kosher doesn't mix any dairy and meat. Biblical kosher allows for it but has a simple prohibition. To cook a calf in its mother's milk is 1) very specific and 2) points to killing the last of a "kind." Abraham uses a milk-meat dish to feed the angel visitors is an example of this. One could claim that that was because the "kosher" laws were not in effect, but then one would have to explain why Noah knows of clean and unclean animals.

:thumbs:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.