irish44

What's your favorite Russian Food?

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I thought that the Seafood I had there was fantastic.

However, one might want to be careful about the "Atlantic Net-Caught Herring" that comes in cans.

I know in the US there is an occasional thumb or molar found inside frozen Burrito's, but seeing this picture made me swallow hard a couple of times.

I will offer a free trip for two to Las Vegas to anyone who can identify the type of Herring seen in this can. And yes, to qualify for the trip you must also participate in a 5 hour timeshare presentation.

15b.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I absolutely love the borscht!

I prefer it without the Sour Creme though...

Ирина и Скотт (Iryna and Scott)

Feb 25, 2008 - Sent K-1 petition to VSC

Feb 25, 2008 - Received NOA1

May 30, 2008 - Received NOA2! Woo-hoo!

Jul 18, 2008 - Interviewed in Kiev. Everything went well!

Jul 24, 2008 - Visa received. Yippee!

Jul 31, 2008 - Visited my girl, and we spent my birthday in Odessa!

Aug 05, 2008 - We both arrive in America. Hooray!

Oct 31, 2008 - Married!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Ira's Mom makes a fantastic potato and chicken meal. Basically it's just sliced potatoes and chicken pieces with onions and spices, drenched in mayonnaise. 30 minutes in the oven.

Palmeni is great too, depending on the brand you get, and the sauce you make :)

Z

Ira's Mom makes a fantastic potato and chicken meal. Basically it's just sliced potatoes and chicken pieces with onions and spices, drenched in mayonnaise. 30 minutes in the oven.

That sounds pretty good actually.

Palmeni is great too, depending on the brand you get, and the sauce you make :)

I don't live near any Russian stores, so I don't know about any brands. I make my own. I use about 2/3 beef, 1/3 pork and some garlic salt. For sauce, I just use sour cream. Takes about 4 hours but the resulting batch makes a bunch of future meals.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Three things: for quick and easy, the standard pelmeni, my future mother-in-laws fried fish (cannot remember the variety right now), and Alla's fried potatoes.

Oh, yes, and anytime: Alla's blinis! :yes:

Edited by Kazan' Tiger

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline
Man that's some tasty lookin' fish.

I gotta go with pelmeni though. Takes forever to make but it's a quick and tasty meal once it's done and you just have to pop some out of the freezer.

I actually cant stand this stuff. Well, that's a bit too harsh maybe. I just dont fancy poor grade meats in watery pasta balls. They have to be the blandest food I've had in Russia. They do not make this stuff because its sooo tasty. No. they make it because its very cheap and will sustain life. Nothing more. Its like frozen raviolis without any nice sauces.

I love most Russian soups. Even the quick stuff. Sasha lives and works in Moscow (well, for one more week, anyway :) ) and she doesnt have much time for cooking. She's quite metropolitan and eats out when she can. Fortunately her taste for food ventures outside the borders of Russia. We both love all types of Asian food and fresh seafood.

I really enjoy almost all other Russian food, but this pelmeni, they can keep. I like this about as much as a nice slab of cold, hairy pork fat. Mmmm. I'm sure some of you have had this too. I'm not really impressed with Russian seafood. I live on the Chesapeake Bay and am a bit spoiled perhaps. ;)

I like to cook with plenty of fresh herbs and spices and this seems to be nonexistant in Russia. As is good sauces. Though they never have a shortage of ketchups and mayos in jars. Yum. :lol:

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Timeline
I don't live near any Russian stores, so I don't know about any brands. I make my own. I use about 2/3 beef, 1/3 pork and some garlic salt. For sauce, I just use sour cream. Takes about 4 hours but the resulting batch makes a bunch of future meals.

Stateside I don't know any brands either. But in Ivanovo there were, literally, dozens to choose from. Boil for 10 minutes, and done. Then lightly fry with some garlic, onions, and peas for 5 minutes and you're set. Ira likes to eat them with a spiced tomato and mayonnaise sauce -- or when that's not available, a ketchup and mayonnaise mixture.

Sour cream is an interesting sauce choice. I'll have to try it sometime.

Do you think you can PM me with your specific recipe? I do adore palmeni, but can't find any here in the states. And neither Ira, nor her mom, know how to make it from scratch.

Thanks!

Z

Do you think you can PM me with your specific recipe? I do adore palmeni, but can't find any here in the states. And neither Ira, nor her mom, know how to make it from scratch.

I find it amazing that you've been living in Russia for a while and never used sour cream as a sauce on pilmeni.

I find it SUPER amazing that neither Ira, nor her mom, know how to make pilmeni from scratch.

Are you sure you're not a VJ troll? You're not just posting this to get us worked up, are you?

(Actually, I can believe it since there are many kinds of pilmeni readily available in Russian supermarkets. So, maybe they just never made it themselves, only using the store-bought stuff.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
I find it amazing that you've been living in Russia for a while and never used sour cream as a sauce on pilmeni.

I find it SUPER amazing that neither Ira, nor her mom, know how to make pilmeni from scratch.

Are you sure you're not a VJ troll? You're not just posting this to get us worked up, are you?

(Actually, I can believe it since there are many kinds of pilmeni readily available in Russian supermarkets. So, maybe they just never made it themselves, only using the store-bought stuff.)

Honest to goodness! Palmeni, to me, comes in a frozen box, or bag, and goes straight into boiling water, or into hot oil. I haven't seen sour cream once (and I wanted to introduce French Onion Dip to Ira one day and I combed two of the largest grocery stores there) during my time in Ivanovo.

Hehe. And if I got you all worked up, I apologize. Now go find your wife to help work off the extra energy :)

Z

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I like many Russian foods but I have to watch the high fat foods. I had a heart scare last year that turned out OK but now I must diet. Russia is no place to be to watch the fat count.

One issue my wife and i will have to address when she comes to the USA is eating low fat foods. I'm not sure it's actually possible for Russians to understand the concept of low fat low calorie cooking. I'd say most of their food is high fat high calorie...and very tasty as a result.

We'll have to ease in to a new eating lifestyle but I think it will be difficult for both of us.

PS: I love the soups and they do a lot with potatoes in soups. Russian yogurt is very good. And there's always champagne and caviar (red)

I like pretty much every type of Russian Salad that I have tried. I eat things in Russian salads that I would never eat at home. I had a beet salad when I was in St. Pete and I loved it. I would not touch a beet with a 10 meter cattle prod at home.

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Wow, I thought knowing how to make pelmeni was a right of passage or something. Bizarre! :D Here's my pelmeni recipe:

For the dough:

1.5 cups flour

2 eggs

1/2 cup water

1/2 tsp salt

Mix all the ingredients and then let it sit. If you're not used to making dough (and I'm not) then you'll notice it's a sticky, gooey mess. Use plenty of extra flour to coat your rolling surface and pin.

While you're waiting for the dough to set, make the filling:

1 pound of meat. I prefer a mixture of 2/3 beef, 1/3 pork. The pork gives it a really nice flavor.

Salt and pepper to taste

Minced garlic to taste (at least a tbsp, more if you really like garlic)

1 or 2 small onions, diced super fine

Mix the filling ingredients together. Now roll out your dough as thin as you can make it without it tearing. Using 2-inch diameter cookie cutter or a metal shot glass (mine is 2" exactly in diameter), cut out a bunch of circles from your dough. Drop some filling into the middle (not too much or the dough will tear, but not too little or it'll taste too doughy) and then fold the dough in half and pinch the edges closed. Then join the two corners and pinch them together. You'll end up with a little flying saucer shaped pel. Now make about a thousand more of those.
:)
I find it easiest to sit them on wax paper, and put them in the freezer. Once they've hardened you can move them to a bag or tupperware or whatever.

When you're ready to eat them, drop them into lightly salted boiling water for about 7-10 minutes. Drain, put in a bowl, and top with salt, pepper, and sour cream. You can also boil them in a chicken broth and eat like a dumpling soup.

I thought that the Seafood I had there was fantastic.

However, one might want to be careful about the "Atlantic Net-Caught Herring" that comes in cans.

I know in the US there is an occasional thumb or molar found inside frozen Burrito's, but seeing this picture made me swallow hard a couple of times.

I will offer a free trip for two to Las Vegas to anyone who can identify the type of Herring seen in this can. And yes, to qualify for the trip you must also participate in a 5 hour timeshare presentation.

15b.jpg

:o :o

07-25-07 petition sent

08-07-07 NOA1

01-23-08 NOA2, 182 days after filing

02-11-08 medical

03-04-08 interview in Frankfurt---approved!

03-11-8 Visa in hand --- what a heck of a procedure for this little sticker ;-)

06-16-08 flight to IAD

07-11-08 Wedding in Santa Barbara, CA

08-07-8 AOS package sent

08-10-08 AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox

08-14-08 check cashed

08-13-08 NOA1 for EAD,AP,AOS

09-03-08 Biometrics appointment

10-02-08 Case transferred to CSC

10-16-08 EAD and AP approved

01-26-09 AOS approved w/o interview

01-31-09 PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED

02-11-11 Biometric Appointment for Removing of Conditions

Our Wedding Pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rahela07/OurWedding07112008

Mox, you should have a cooking show.... "cooking with mox" or "mox-imize your diet!" You know, something to that effect.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.