irish44

What's your favorite Russian Food?

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Mox, you should have a cooking show.... "cooking with mox" or "mox-imize your diet!" You know, something to that effect.

Hehe...yeah well pelmeni's really the only thing I've got. Unless I could do a cooking show on peanut butter sandwiches, Campbell's soup, lunchables, etc. You think someone'd pay me for that? Because that would be a pretty cool gig.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this about as much as a nice slab of cold, hairy pork fat. Mmmm.

Mmmm cold, hairy pork fat, with some cold leftover collard greens and three day old bread. Im getting so hungry.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

(Actually, I can believe it since there are many kinds of pilmeni readily available in Russian supermarkets. So, maybe they just never made it themselves, only using the store-bought stuff.)

That seems strange to me but it is probably the equivalent to people buying Oscar Meyer Kielbasa (Hey guys this isnt really kielbasa since its not made in Poland) I really like the packages that say Polish Kielbasa like there is some other kind. Thats like calling it German Wienshnitzel

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

As long as you put Tabasco on it, it's edible.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
I thought that the Seafood I had there was fantastic.

However, one might want to be careful about the "Atlantic Net-Caught Herring" that comes in cans.

I know in the US there is an occasional thumb or molar found inside frozen Burrito's, but seeing this picture made me swallow hard a couple of times.

I will offer a free trip for two to Las Vegas to anyone who can identify the type of Herring seen in this can. And yes, to qualify for the trip you must also participate in a 5 hour timeshare presentation.

15b.jpg

The fish is a Karpa of course, favored by many Russians, and obvious a surprise bonus to this buyer of canned net caught herring. Actually can't stand Karpa too many small bones and I was always brught up with the thought that carp were a trash fish, but the next time you go bonkers over channel catfish remember what they eat. Myself, Pelmeni with a sweet mustard does the trick, the rest I have no love for although my wife cooks it all the time, although the Russian salad with boiled meat, pickles and onions is tasty.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Agree wholehearedly, but to really appreciate the culinary possiilities of Tabasco you must visit Avery Island, La. and purchase General McIllheney's recipe book for Tabasco. The first thing that hits you on Avery Island is the pungent aroma of Tabasco, your eyes water, you sneeze, and think you have died and gone to heaven.

Agree wholehearedly, but to really appreciate the culinary possiilities of Tabasco you must visit Avery Island, La. and purchase General McIllheney's recipe book for Tabasco. The first thing that hits you on Avery Island is the pungent aroma of Tabasco, your eyes water, you sneeze, and think you have died and gone to heaven.

Whatta you do, work there? Sounds like the promotional video or something.

(Can't wait to go someday! My pastor gave a sermon on Tabasco some 15 years ago, and since then, Avery Island, La. has been on my "to do" list.)

And as far as really appreciating the culinary possibilities of Tabasco, I've eaten many a meal in a foxhole and the only thing making all of them "culinary" was the sweet smell of Avery Island.

There's kind of a running joke around the military when civilians ask what MREs (military food in pouches) taste like, there's only one answer even though there are several different kinds of meals.

"They all taste like Tabasco."

The urban legend is that some Tabasco company exec. a long time ago petitioned the DoD to put the little bottles of Tabasco in the MREs, for FREE! Seems they have a whole dept. that strictly bottles Tabasco in little tiny single-serving bottles strictly for military use. I don't know if the backstory is true, but I can confirm they're in there. And I'm glad they are! Thank you Mr. Tabasco company exec.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

Two of the other famous things to put on Pelmeni is:

Butter and black pepper

AND

Vinegar and black pepper

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

12/28/09 - NOA1 (dated 12/21/09)

01/03/10 - I-797 NOA received for biometrics appt

01/26/10 - Biometrics appt.

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

reminder for myself: apply for citizenship in november 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

As a fine cuisine option, consider "A-1 Sauce." For discriminating tastes seeking a truly American food accompaniment.

Two of the other famous things to put on Pelmeni is:

Butter and black pepper

AND

Vinegar and black pepper

Butter and pepper is good, haven't tried vinegar. Sounds good though. I have no doubt mayo and ketchup are also popular toppings. :D

I also haven't tried fried pelmeni, but I'm told they're really good fried in butter. (natch!) And of course if you're from south of the Mason-Dixon line you'll probably eventually deep fry them. :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I like my pelmini with either soy sauce, mayo, or sour cream depending on mood.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

As a fine cuisine option, consider "A-1 Sauce." For discriminating tastes seeking a truly American food accompaniment.

I've A-1'd several bowls of pilmeny in my lifetime. I like to throw it right on top of the sour cream.

Русский форум член.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I hate russian food and no amount of tabasco could fix it. I've hated it since i was a small child and insisted that my grandparents kept a wide variety of sugary cereals around for my visits. I only eat it when the other choice is no food at all. i am glad that i came to russia at a time when there is more choice in terms of cuisine. I like russian japanese restaurants a lot, and pizza hut is much higher in quality there than in the US. There are a few things i like--borsch, for example--but i wouldn't go out of my way to eat them.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

I love all the Russian food that I have tried so far. I must agree Russian food is not a good chioce when you want to watch your weight.

I love Kharcho although it is originally Armenian. When I make it at home, I cook extra spicey with Korean touch. (I'm Korean and my husband is Russian) Also, I love Cabbage with spicy salami which I cannot remember the name in Russian. Anything with Beet, I love it!! :luv:

I mostly cook, or try to cook, Russian food from the Russian cook book, or recipe of Russian websites.

Whenever we go to Brooklyn to my in-laws, any food there is great to me! :thumbs: I love Brooklyn Russin food!!

I love all the Russian food that I have tried so far. I must agree Russian food is not a good chioce when you want to watch your weight.

I love Kharcho although it is originally Armenian. When I make it at home, I cook extra spicey with Korean touch. (I'm Korean and my husband is Russian) Also, I love Cabbage with spicy salami which I cannot remember the name in Russian. Anything with Beet, I love it!! :luv:

I mostly cook, or try to cook, Russian food from the Russian cook book, or recipe of Russian websites.

Whenever we go to Brooklyn to my in-laws, any food there is great to me! :thumbs: I love Brooklyn Russin food!!

Sounds like you've been hanging out in the wrong forum! :D Welcome!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.