Yomtl

Moving from Canada to the US

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi!

I have 2 questions for the Canadians on the forum who have already moved to the US:

1- Did some of you build some kind of checklist of things to do before leaving Canada (bank accounts, Canada Revenu Agency, etc....)

2- How did you proceeded with the actual move? Did you hire a moving company or did you rent a truck and did the move by yourself? (Did you have any problem crossing the border with all your belongings?)

3- Did some of you have experience with what documents are required to move with a dog? I guess I need to have vaccination papers up to date? Is there anything else?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Yohann.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent : 2008-01-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-01-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-03

NVC Received : 2008-03-05

NVC Left : 2008-03-07

Consulate Received : 2008-03-10

Packet 3 Received : 2008-03-25

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-03-31

Medical: 2008-04-01

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi!

I have 2 questions for the Canadians on the forum who have already moved to the US:

1- Did some of you build some kind of checklist of things to do before leaving Canada (bank accounts, Canada Revenu Agency, etc....)

2- How did you proceeded with the actual move? Did you hire a moving company or did you rent a truck and did the move by yourself? (Did you have any problem crossing the border with all your belongings?)

3- Did some of you have experience with what documents are required to move with a dog? I guess I need to have vaccination papers up to date? Is there anything else?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Yohann.

1. Yes, I had a long list, including:

--checking with my bank on how to continue paying on my student loan, got set up with online banking

--get a copy of my medical file and/or dental file

--checking with my CPA who did my tax returns if there was anything I had to worry about in that respect (ie. when I get ready to file my last Canadian Income Tax)

--rerouting my mail to my parents

---get in contact with the tax people if you still get the GST tax rebate cheque, once you move to the US you are no longer eligible to receive it. So if you have direct deposit you need to make arrangements to stop the payments -- if that doesn't go through in time, don't spend any cheques that do get deposited after you move because they will make ways to collect it.

2. I choose to have my stuff moved through a moving company that was well experienced in Canada/US moves. They had a checklist for me so that I could assemble all the paperwork for them -- they made it really easy. I left the documents with my parents, they came and picked up my stuff, and delivered to me without a scratch or anything broken within a couple of weeks (it takes a while to get stuff from Nova Scotia to Oklahoma!). Was definitely worth the money for us.

3. Do a search in the threads here in the Canadian forum, this topic has come up a couple of times. :) Vaccinations definitely need be up to date, and you need proof of that, and I think you need another piece of paper from the vet r/t health of your pet.

Good luck to you :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Timeline

Hi! Here's my .02:

1. Remember to cancel your provincial health coverage

2. Close bank accounts or transfer funds.

3. Give away your plants (you cannot bring them over :( )

4. We did not do anything RE: Canada Revenue - but you will have to file one more return as an emigrant next year (I'm assuming you have filed this year already)

We moved with UPack. It is cheap and quite reliable. Though you do have to pack and load/unload your stuff. Make sure you are allowed to have the trailer hanging around both in Canada and in the US. Some cities do not allow trailers parking in the street so see if you have an alley or some big space. If you don't have too much stuff, you can hire a "relocube" with them.

good luck, L.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I did Uhaul. That way the stuff arrived with me and I knew where it was and if anything was broken it was our fault.

They barely glanced at my list of items that I was bringing and I was not very specific

"books" - $50

"kitchen stuff" - $500

good luck whichever way you decide to do it :)

Feb 5 - lawyer sent in i 130 application.

march 28 -got the I-797 Notice of action for I 129F

May 8 - they sent 797 notice of action -a sking for information

June 20 - I 130 approved

July 31 - Fees paid and 168 affidavit of support sent

October 6 - They request more information - for CR1

October 18 - lawyer sent to them

November 2 case completed from NVC

November 16 - congressman calls - waiting for interview date

December 12 - congressman calls - interview has been set

Jan 29 INTERVIEW IN MONTREAL!!!

Missing some steps.. but getting there :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I did Uhaul. That way the stuff arrived with me and I knew where it was and if anything was broken it was our fault.

They barely glanced at my list of items that I was bringing and I was not very specific

"books" - $50

"kitchen stuff" - $500

good luck whichever way you decide to do it :)

I packed everything into two suitcases and boarded a plane. Left alot of stuff at my dads to bring back when I get my kids for the summer. Seemed expensive to ship everything down. If you have a place to store it at a friends or family you may want to bring it back as you fly...drive back for visits.....

03-30-07 I-129F Mailed

04-09-07 NOA 1

07-27-07 Touched

07-28-07 Received NOA2 approval email

08-06-07 Received letter from NVC

08-20-07 Fiance received Packet 3

08-22-07 Packet 3 sent to Montreal

09-17-07 Emailed Montreal to confirm forms were received

09-18-07 Received email form Montreal with interview date - November 7!!!!

09-19-07 Medical

09-24-07 Received Packet 4

11-07-07 Interview- Approved!!

11-13-07 Received Visa

11-15-07 Dale missed flight to TN due to Customs! :0

11-16-07 Dale flys to TN (take two)

11-30-07 Received SSN

12-08-07 Married

12-23-07 Mailed AOS Package

01-05-08 NOA 1 for AOS

01-17-08 Obtained Tennessee Drivers License

01-18-08 Biometrics for AOS

01-22-08 Notice of AOS transfer to California Service Center

02-20-08 EAD Approved

03-10-08 AOS approved..Welcome to the USA letter received

#######! I didn't tell the tax people... I think I got a gst cheque!

who do I tell!!!???

I obviously told EI...

Do I have to tell someone else??

Plus the canada revenue agency???

:o

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

who do I tell!!!???

I obviously told EI...

uh oh..I thought our gst rebate was from the PREVIOUS year spent on gst!! My accountant didn't tell me to do anything..and I'm due for a cheque :o hmmm I'll see if I can get him on the phone tomorrow..

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Timeline

who do I tell!!!???

I obviously told EI...

uh oh..I thought our gst rebate was from the PREVIOUS year spent on gst!! My accountant didn't tell me to do anything..and I'm due for a cheque :o hmmm I'll see if I can get him on the phone tomorrow..

as soon as you move and become a resident of another country, you are no longer eligible for the GST rebate. I also was disqualified for a student loan reduction program because I was a resident of the US, even though the timeframe they would have looked at far as my income was concerned was before I moved. Doesn't matter to them. Even when I contacted them to cancel my GST rebate cheques, one still was direct deposited. They soon sent me a letter telling me to pay it back -- ever so efficient when it comes to collecting their money! :P

should I just go on the CRA website with my epass and change my address there>?

I can't remember if I put this in the PM, but I would call them directly, IMHO. can't guarantee they'll get it right even then!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

I just took everything i could into 3 suitcases (amber brought 2, but only packed enough to fit into 1).. I just left everything there for my family to bring down when they come for the wedding

k-1

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-28

I-129F NOA1 :2007-06-05

I-129F NOA2 :2007-11-28

NVC Received : 2007-12-20

NVC Left :2007-12-27 (due to holidays tongue.png)

Consulate Received :2007/12/28

Packet 3 Received :2008-01-07

Packet 3 Sent :2008-01-07

Medical Exam: 2008-01-24

Packet 4 Received :2008-01-14

Interview Date :2008-02-11---APPROVEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Visa Received :2008-02-13

US Entry : 2008-02-20

Church Marriage : 2008-05-03

POE @ Edmonton International Airport: 2008-02-20

Courthouse marriage: 2008-02-26

ROC

ROC Filed with CSC: 2010-04-13

NOA1 recieved in mail dated: 2010-04-15

Biometrics Appointment: 2010-05-17

Approval Notice: 2010-08-03

Card Received: 2010-08-13

N-400:

N-400 sent 2013-12-02

NOA:|12/09/13|

BIOMETRICS:|12/27/13|

IN-LINE for INTERVIEW 12/31/13

Timeline

I opened up my wallet, threw out all the contents, made a list and canceled stuff I would no longer use (movie rental memberships, etc)

Changed my address with Epass on the Canada Govt web page

Kept open a bank account. Keep only a few $$$ in acct. Transfer $$ toit with Customhouse.com when traveling to Canada, its free!! Plus can send money from Canada to USA! Comes in handy for bday money,lol The bank is presidents Choice, which told me I had to close it when I moved! So I gave them my parents addy in SK! RBC and TD seem to be better choices, from what people have posted on here

I rented a Uhaul, My experience was fine, truck was fine, others have beefs with Uhaul (broken down trucks, truck not there when gone to pick up) At the POE they did not even look in my truck!! I had an inventory list (nothing fancy) they were not that interested in it!! The Customs dude was more interested with his card game he was playing on the computer!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I still haven't figure out who to contact for the GST/ baby bonus #######...so i'm sure I'll owe them $$$

I've notified several gov agencies, EI obviously has my american address, but I can't change the address online for anything else...the Epass stuff looked like i needed to register while I was still in Canada - because they wanted to send a password or something to a CAnadian address only.

perhaps i've just missed something

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

I still haven't figure out who to contact for the GST/ baby bonus #######...so i'm sure I'll owe them $$$

I've notified several gov agencies, EI obviously has my american address, but I can't change the address online for anything else...the Epass stuff looked like i needed to register while I was still in Canada - because they wanted to send a password or something to a CAnadian address only.

well i'm with you..I'm still recieving $$ :whistle: i did try to change the info though :huh:

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Timeline

well i'm with you..I'm still recieving $$ :whistle: i did try to change the info though :huh:

Yes, once they see your tax return they will ask you to pay it back. I know someone who moved to the U.S., one cheque came for her after they left and I promptly tore it up and threw it in the garbage.

They wanted that cheque back - they wrote to her for it - long story short they needed a letter saying it had never been cashed and over a period of months they cancelled the cheque and wrote to say it was all good.

We do have an epass that we signed up for a couple of years ago, they do send your password in the mail, it's really quite a handy service.

Anyway, just doing a google search I found this:

Other changes - Goods and Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax

Call 1-800-959-1953 to tell us:

if you or your spouse or common-law partner is no longer a resident of Canada; or

if any of the personal information, such as your name, marital status, or the spousal or child information shown on your Goods and Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST) Credit notice is not correct. You can also write to them at any service center, the addresses are here.

Other changes - Universal Child Care Benefit

Call 1-800-387-1193 to tell us:

if your or your spouse or common-law partner's immigration or residency status changes; or

if any of the personal information, such as your name, your marital status, or your spousal or child information, shown on your Canada Child Tax Benefit notice or your Universal Child Care Benefit notice is incorrect. link

Edited by trailmix

• 2 weeks later...

question obviously when you do your last set of taxes you put non-resident from such and such date...I'm just finishing up mine for 2007 to send in...no income I was a student in 2007 in the us till mid dec......we didn't get married till feb but would I put no longer a resident from 2007 on or would I just file as a resident and then refile next year to say I'm not?

02/29/2008 Filed AOS

07/25/2008 Interview!!! Approved!

07/29/2008 Approval letter/Welcome to the USA letter for I130 and I485 Arrive

08/18/2008 Permanent Resident Card Arrives!

04/27/2010 Mail Package for lifting conditions

08/11/2010 Approval letter!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.