Yomtl

Moving from Canada to the US

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

sold/gave everything and packed the car..

bought all new things..

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Hi!

I have 2 questions for the Canadians on the forum who have already moved to the US:

1- Did some of you build some kind of checklist of things to do before leaving Canada (bank accounts, Canada Revenu Agency, etc....)

2- How did you proceeded with the actual move? Did you hire a moving company or did you rent a truck and did the move by yourself? (Did you have any problem crossing the border with all your belongings?)

3- Did some of you have experience with what documents are required to move with a dog? I guess I need to have vaccination papers up to date? Is there anything else?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Yohann.

I had a checklist and a moving list i listed all items brought in each box and numbered the boxes. they never looked in my truck and just scanned over my list. I made sure i left all plants in Canada.

I contacted all govenment agencies baby bonus, GST,Income tax and IE as well as Health card let them know i was moving to the US and that i would no longer be a resident.

I rented a U-haul and packed myself it went very well.

As for my dog i brought her with me she had to be vaccinated and the vet gave me a sheet with all her vaccines including heart worm and i was also issued a Internationl Health certificate which had to be done within 10 days of moving to the US. I had no problem bringing her with me.

Good luck on your move

July 4, 2003 Met in Ontario

June 30, 2004 Adam asked me to marry him.

Sept 6, 2004 Sent in I-129F to Nebraska

Sept 20, 2004 NOA 1

Dec 29 2004 APPROVED

Jan 6, 2005 NOA 2

Mar 24, 2005 Interview 9am in Montreal APPROVED

June 29, 2005 Move date

Aug 20, 2005 We Are Married in a beautiful oudoor ceremony in our back yard with about 100 guests

Sept. 8, 2005 AOS, EAD and AP Applications sent to Chicago

Sept 18, 2005 Resent as we made one check out wrong.

Sept 29, 2005 Reciepts for AOS EAD and AP

Dec 12, 2005 AP approved today via email

Dec 18, 2005 received AP in the mail

Dec 21-27, Home for Christmas

Jan 18, 2006 Biometrics in Detroit

Jan 27, 2006 EAD card received

April 4, 2006 AOS Interview in Cleveland OH APPROVED

June 19, 2006 Started Full-time employment.

Really be critical when packing. I brought 3 suitcases and a few boxes. I know it's hard, but for many things, mailing them later, or going back for them later would be a complete waste of money for me. When packing, I had one suitcase of t-shirts, and shorts. Silly. I took only one or two of each, gave away everything else, and after I'd moved and it got warmer, I went out and bought a few more. Other than clothes, and sentimental things (pictures, children's art drawings, some momento's) I basically just gave things away and came with the clothes on my back! :lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
If I move to USA from CAN at 65 would I still receive pension and RRQ (Régime des rentes du Québec)

If RRQ is the Quebec equivalent of CPP (Canada Pension Plan) and you have been contributing all of your adult life, yes. It is based on contributions over a specific qualifying period, not ultimate residency. Canadian pension income falls under the Canada/US tax treaty btw to ensure fair taxation for pensionable Canadians living in the US and pensionable Americans -or Canadians with US based incomes - living in Canada.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.