redbeans

Should I requet assistance from a law firm in Bangkok

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I am going to visit my girlfriend again this Thursday. We are meeting in Bangkok. The only time I get to see her is when I fly over from the states. We love each other very much and want to get married so she can come see me in the states. I work full time and attend school full time so my schedule makes it hard for me to make time to see her. She has more time on her hands so it would be nice if she could come visit me in the states as freely as I can travel to see her. I plan on moving to Thailand to teach as soon as I finish up with school (about 1.5 to 2 years away). I am 31 and she is 38. She has been divorced for 5 years and has documentation to prove it. She has 2 daughters, one 14 and one 6. We do not want to bring the kids over at this point, we just want to make it more convenient for us to spend time together. She lives about 240km north of Bangkok and works for her sister and brother in law. Her english is a work in progress, and I just think that the paperwork and tasks required on her end could overwhelm her. I am considering requesting a consultation next week with a law firm in Bangkok to assist us. Can anyone give me some advice as to if it would be beneficial and if so maybe a reccomendation of a good firm or lawyer?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Hi! It seems like you just want her to come visit you as freely as you can visit her. Do you want her to visit you or live with you in the US? If you just want her to visit I don't think you should file for a K1. IF you file a K1 she can only enter the us once time, thats it. You have to marry within 90 days of her entering the US. And she can not leave the US until she has an approved travel document or her green card. At best it will take about 3 months to get her travel documents or green card after you've filed for them. At worst it could take up to a year or more.

I think a tourist visa might be a better fit.

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

She might have a hard time getting a tourist visa as she does not have much money or anything to help prove that she does not intend on emigrating. I have heard a tourist visa in Thailand is hard to come by. We do love each other and we planned on getting married anyway. We just might marry sooner so we can see each other more frequently. As far as the children are concerned, I believe it would be better if they continued their education in Thailand because they may experience culture shock and be overwhelmed by trying to fit in at an all english speaking school.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
Hi! It seems like you just want her to come visit you as freely as you can visit her. Do you want her to visit you or live with you in the US? If you just want her to visit I don't think you should file for a K1. IF you file a K1 she can only enter the us once time, thats it. You have to marry within 90 days of her entering the US. And she can not leave the US until she has an approved travel document or her green card. At best it will take about 3 months to get her travel documents or green card after you've filed for them. At worst it could take up to a year or more.

I think a tourist visa might be a better fit.

I agree. She can apply for a tourist visa, and if you want to get married file for K1. During the time that it takes for the USCIS to approve the petition and for her to get the K1 visa she will be able to visit you in the US.

You dont at all need help from a law firm to get her a tourist visa. She just needs to be able to prove ties to her home country (business, children, maybe she owns a house there). My parents have gotten their tourist (10 year) visas to come and visit me while I was living in the US, and they have done it without the help of an attorney. Many people do that.

I would't hire a law firm because you can do all that paperwork alone with the help of visajourney. They are just going to rob you of your money, and on top of that you will not see them do anythig. Good luck!

AOS Timeline begun!

AOS sent- June 26th 2008

NOA1- July 3rd

Touch- July 7th (check cashed)

Touch- July 8th

Biometrics notice received- July 14th (notice date- July 9th)

Biometrics Appointment- July 25th

Touch- July 25th

RFE e-mail notice- July 28th

RFE response sent- September 9th

RFE response received by USCIS and case processing resumed- September 12th

AOS Touch- September 18th

Transfer to CSC- September 26th

AOS Touch-September 29th

Received Transfer Letter in mail- October 2nd

AOS Touch- case pending at the office to which it was transferred- October 3rd

AOS Touch- October 6th

EAD Touch- October 29- CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED-yippeeeeeeeeee! I can get a drivers license

EAD Touch- November 3rd- Approval notice sent (JEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ RIGHT AFTER I WROTE THIS MY EAD CARD CAME IN MAIL!!!!!! I mean the Mailman brought it HOW WEIRD IS THAT???????????)

AOS Touch Dec 19th

AOS Touch Dec 21st

AOS APPROVED JAN 29th

Removing Conditions 12/16/2010- Application sent by certified mail

Approved 3/07/2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Getting married in Thailand is not going to make it any easier for her to come to the States as easily as you can fly to Thailand. You wouldn't apply for a K1 visa if it is your intent to move to Thailand as the K1 visa is for those individuals wanting to come to the US to marry their S.O.

A tourist visa is also very difficult for most Thai's to obtain. So...I think you need to decide what you want. If it's moving to Thailand then hold off on anything until you are ready to move, or if you want her to come there to live with you, apply for the K1 and marry her and then move back to Thailand at a later date.

Are you planning on teaching in a university? I'm sure you are aware that teaching positions for farangs in the LOS are not always the most lucrative positions unless you can get in with a university or international school. There have been a lot of changes just recently in how work visas are obtained by westerners there. I'm bringing this up because if you haven't already looked into salaries, the difficulties in obtaining solid work, and sometimes the difficulties in obtaining a work visa, it could help you determine if you want to move there, or have her move to the States.

If you haven't visited this site, I suggest you do: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=46 You can learn a lot about teaching in Thailand.

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

I believe that a tourist visa is what we should shoot for. I am just not sure she has enough evidence to show that she does not plan on emigrating. Will leaving her two kids behind be enough?

probably not.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.