HuffyTheSlayer

Tesco's Fresh and Easy Stores

20 posts in this topic

So I found out on Friday night when we were driving home from IKEA (Yay! We finally have a dining room table!), that there was a Fresh and Easy store about 5 miles from my house. So we decided to head off to check it out today. I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed that they didn't even bother to do anything for the ex-pats that they know will be checking out these stores. The only teas they had were Lipton (yuck!) and their own Fresh and Easy "English Breakfast Tea", which doesn't sound any better. I didn't see any Brit imports at all.

It stuck me as a cross between Sainsbury's and Trader Joe's. But I'm pretty disappointed. Yes, the meat, produce and ready meals looked pretty good. But it was way too over-priced. Anyhow, just thought I would chime in with my opinions of them. Pretty much a let-down, sadly.

Yeah - I had heard about Tesco making the move across the pond but haven't seen any there yet. Would have thought there would be some UK stuff there but then they prolly determine that by market and can't justify the import costs if the products aren't going to be popular... Sucks... Wonder why it is so expensive though..?

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

We found the same when we visited the store in Mesa, AZ at Christmas.

Quite a good selection of ready meals and good quality but nothing special price wise. Would be worth the occasional visit but as you say no ex-pat stuff.

My time line

CSC

Nov 7, 2004 - First met in Chagford, Devon, UK

Sep 1, 2007 - Married in Chagford

Oct 5, 2007 - Sent I-130 to CSC

Oct 9, 2007 - Received by CSC

Jan 14, 2008 - Rejected by Chicago, wrong date on check 😞

Jan 15, 2008 - Sent I-130 back to Chicago with correctly dated check 🙂

Jan 16, 2008 - Received by Chicago

Feb 14, 2008 - NOA1

Apr 28, 2008 - NOA2

May 6, 2008 - NVC assign case number

May 12, 2008 - DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

May 18, 2008 - DS-3032 request emailed by me

May 22, 2008 - AOS bill paid by check

May 27, 2008 - DS-3032 accepted by NVC

Jun 2, 2008 - IV bill generated

Jun 9, 2008 - IV bill received

Jun 16, 2008 - IV bill paid by check

Jun 21, 2008 - I-864 package received

Jun 26, 2008 - I-864 sent to NVC

Jun 30, 2008 - DS-230 generated by NVC

Jul 11, 2008 - DS-230 received

Jul 26, 2008 - DS-230 sent to NVC

Aug 4, 2008 - DS-230 received by NVC

Aug 12, 2008 - Case completed

Aug 14, 2008 - Papers sent to London Embassy

Oct 20, 2008 - Medical in London

Oct 27, 2008 - Interview in London (was originally scheduled for Sep 23)

Oct 28, 2008 - Visa received

Nov 22, 2008 - Arrived in USA at Phoenix.... Yeah!!!

I guess it depends on the popularity of the items...stores don't stock things they can't sell...

In West Orlando, we're lucky...not only do we have UK tourists all the time, we also have quite a large community of ex-pats here too...most of our grocery stores have a modest selection of stuff on the international aisle...

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

They'd be pretty dumb to stock UK stuff that their mostly US customers are not familiar with. Expats will not make them money and the success they need over here. As greeneyedgirlfl stated, if there is no demand, there will be no stock. There was a documentary about it the other week. After all the companies that have tried to move over here, and failed, I hope Tesco find the formula they need to succeed. But I won't be holding my breath. I think a Tesco would thrive in FL though!!

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Tesco said from the outset that they were not going to be the UK store in the US and the stores and goods would be tailor for the US market.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

I like the stores and certainly wasn't expecting to see any imported goods' as has been said, that will not win them a big enough slice of the market. I didn't think they were over priced for what they sell, and there are some great deals too in tinned and dried goods as well as bargain hot dog rolls and burger buns that are not as sweet as most of the US ones.

I can't shop for everthing in one store, I have to go to about 3 to get the right foods I want at the right prices. I probably spend most in TJ's but I now spend about 30% of my food budget in Fresh and Easy.

I also go to the local farme's markets for fresh fruits and veg as the quality is much better.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Our...hot dog and hamburger buns are too SWEET? xD WHAT? xD My god.

You can keep the Tesco's, meh, I don't care. I would be very happy if our stores just had those magical marked down clearance prices you can go in and raid every day...end up with like...a chicken wrap, a 4 pack of muffins, yogurt, baguette, and like...tikka salad or something for 12 p :P SO cool xD

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

Hahah - yeah they are! As is most of the bread in the US (or so I have found)... I think it is the uncontrollable need to put corn syrup in everything that does it :lol:

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Filed: Timeline
Tesco said from the outset that they were not going to be the UK store in the US and the stores and goods would be tailor for the US market.

That reminds me of when I pulled into a BP gas station in Kansas City and popped into the shop hoping to get a Ginster's Steak Slice and a Egg Custard.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hahah - yeah they are! As is most of the bread in the US (or so I have found)... I think it is the uncontrollable need to put corn syrup in everything that does it :lol:

oh, let's be technical here - 'high fructose corn syrup' :blink:

I truly do not see the need... everyone's taste buds are getting used to things being sweeter and sweeter; no wonder some kids almost keel over when they taste broccoli or some such :wacko:

my Australian cousin was so against the bread after spending six months in Portland, Oregon, that she's got me running scared... I'm going to be making my own :lol:

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

I am sure there are some that aren't so bad... I just laugh when I see the "authentic" Lea and Perrins :lol:

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline
That reminds me of when I pulled into a BP gas station in Kansas City and popped into the shop hoping to get a Ginster's Steak Slice and a Egg Custard.

:lol:

Hmm, egg custard. Nom nom nom.

Stu

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.