Jenni and Bo

Best option?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Guys!

I am loving this forum :) I'm still confused beyond reason, but at least I know I'm not the only one!

My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out the wisest way to get me down there. He's in North Carolina and I'm here freezing my ####### off in New Brunswick. Even with all the reading we have been doing, we're still not sure what is the best route to take.

Any thoughts on which Visa to apply for? he's planning on proposing on my next trip down, so we could either start applying for our K-1 or we wait till July and get married and apply for our K3. Either way it will be a small wedding...whether it's here with my family, or down there if I go through the K-1 route. We're going to save up and have our dream wedding when i get settled. Any suggestions either way?

Also, I have been planning on going back to school to do my Masters. Does anyone know if I get a J1 study visa, if either K visa can be processed at the same time? These may seem like moronic questions to those of you who know this process, but it's still taking some time for us..so I apoligize! :)

All I know is I love this man, and he loves me and leaving him after our last visit was the hardest thing I've had to do. As long as we can be together, I think we'll go through anything!

~Jenni and Bo~

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Personally, I would recommend the K-1 route if you wanted to get to the US faster. There is talk that the K-3 route is being discontinued which would leave the CR-1 route. The CR-1 route is longer than the K-1, and you can't start that process until you are married, however it is somewhat cheaper in the long run as well as allowing you to be a permanent resident from the moment you actually cross the US border. The K-1 requires you to marry within 90 days after approval, then apply to change ('adjust') your status from a non-immigrant K-1 to a CR-1 through the AOS process. There will be waiting time involved for both of those avenues and it will really depend on what is more important to the two of you.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I'd go for the K-1 route, but I don't know that much about the K-3. It just looked to us like, when we were deciding, the K-1 was easier if only because it was more straightforward. But maybe K-3's cheaper or something, takes less time to naturalize, any of that? I don't know, I guess your situation would be totally different.

K-1's not bad though and I'm pretty sure with your boyfriend in NC you'd apply to the Vermont center, which is the fastest in the US and *might* be picking up speed (seems like they've been working weekends).

I think it is a problem for you to be a student here and apply for the K-1 at the same time, as in...I think you're not allowed to do that at all. I don't even think you're allowed in this country through the processing. I know with the work visa, they get really suspicious if you come over to work and get engaged - they think it indicates an alterior motive the whole time. You guys definately need to read into that and make sure there's no problems. I'm sure someone here knows a lot more than I do but the guides and filing instructions should let you know, too.

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Welcome to VJ! :)

Well if I had to do it again I go with doing the K-1.

It seems so far from also reading all the other couples on VJ to be the fastest, but of course alot has to also do with which Service Center your case is sent to.

Good Luck in your visa journey!

1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif avatar_ani_050.gifSOON TO BE HAPPILY DIVORCED! avatar_ani_052.gif 1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for the feedback so fast! :) I had been thinking the K1 was the route we would take, but it's nice to have people that have had some experience with it.

Now, it was mentioned that I would not be allowed in the country during the application...does that mean no visits down to him at all? Is he allowed to come up to see me?

I'm still reading a lot, so I'm sure by the time I get a response, I'll have found the answer somewhere lol.

Thank you though! and thank you for the welcome, this place has been a godsend!

~Jenni & Bo~

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thank you for the feedback so fast! :) I had been thinking the K1 was the route we would take, but it's nice to have people that have had some experience with it.

Now, it was mentioned that I would not be allowed in the country during the application...does that mean no visits down to him at all? Is he allowed to come up to see me?

I'm still reading a lot, so I'm sure by the time I get a response, I'll have found the answer somewhere lol.

Thank you though! and thank you for the welcome, this place has been a godsend!

~Jenni & Bo~

Yes, you can still go visit eachother during the process. Just make sure when you go visit him that you show Customs that you intend to return to Canada. You can provide them with a letter from your employer, a rental agreement, cell phone bills, etc. Once you file for the Visa and you begin to receive Notices like the NOA1, make sure you take that. with you when you go visit. Hope that helps!

I agree with everyone else on going with the K1 Visa. :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I visited my fiance a number of times during the K-1 application process. I carried all sorts of proof of ties with Canada plus a complete copy of the I-129 petition and Notices of Action (NOA receipts) from US immigration showing we intended to follow the rules. we sort of alternated back and forth - I would go down one month for a few days and then he would come up here the next month for a few days. We continued that right up until our petition was approved. Once the application was transferred to Montreal, though, there was a lot for me to do in Canada so we just waited until we got the visa, then he came and picked me up and we drove me and my belongings back down together. Good luck with your visa journey.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe that there are restrictions with the J1 visa, once it expires you cannot apply for another visa in the US for 2 years. I think there are waivers you can complete to get around it - but that seems too risky to me.

I would do and plan to do the K1 visa myself.

Good Luck (F)

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

I selected the K-1 because it was quicker and easier at the time. I still think it has less hassles than other types.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.