18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

i am considering to hire a lawyer , i have started paperwork but i am not all sure where to really start , hiring a lawyer would be costly but at least i have someone to just give me a list of what i need but on other hand does having a lawyer pay for itself or am i wasting money ? ohhh how confused i am !! this site is very helpful and i have gotten alot of info on it but i am still lost im not really good at this. i talked to a lawyer who says aos for my husband is a easy case ... we have known each other for 10 yrs , he came for a visit and we got married on the spur not planning it i hadnt had time to even think about all the info i would need . so if anyone can give advise and let me know if a lawyer would be better id be thankful for it and if u need anymore info about my situation i can provide it , hopefully someone has been through same as me and can help thanks

It's all up to you if you want a lawyer to do the paperwork or not. But IMHO, I'll do it on my own since I have this forum to help me in every step of the way. It's cost efficient and you can be sure that the paperwork is done with love and care and carefully assembled. If you'll get confused and will feel lost, you can always ask questions and there are alot of people here who can help you so much.

Good luck!

--Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

It's all up to you if you want a lawyer to do the paperwork or not. But IMHO, I'll do it on my own since I have this forum to help me in every step of the way. It's cost efficient and you can be sure that the paperwork is done with love and care and carefully assembled. If you'll get confused and will feel lost, you can always ask questions and there are alot of people here who can help you so much.

Good luck!

--Mae

:yes:

And hiring a lawyer is costly, ask questions here and people can help. Do it together, we did and you can too! :thumbs:

AOS Journey

01/18/08 - Mailed AOS packet to Chi-town

02/05/08 - Received Notice for Biometrics

02/23/08 - Received Notice for Interview (AOS)

02/26/08 - Scheduled Biometrics Done!

03/11/08 - Received Notice of Approval (AP)

03/13/08 - Card production ordered (EAD) Gee! Thanks a lot!!

03/21/08 - Approval Notice sent (EAD) Yahoo!!

03/24/08 - Touched & received EAD card today!! Yipee!!

03/25/08 - Scheduled Interview (AOS) Approved! Thankful!!

03/26/08 - Notice mailed welcoming as new permanent resident

03/28/08 - Card production ordered!! Wow!!!

03/31/08 - Received welcome letter.. Nice!

04/04/08 - Received green card through mail! Truly great! Mahalo nui loa!!

4589670_bodyshot_175x233_1205147893574.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

For the most part a lawyer can be an expensive paper shuffler. In your case your timeline shows entry on another type of visa other than a K-1, so a lawyer may be helpful for handling questions that may arise from adjustment from a visa other than K-1.

There is a useful guide that you can look at to start off.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

We didn't use a lawyer to file the adjustment but we spoke to two during the process.

Never advise posters not to use a lawyer. We are not experts here. Let the poster decide for themselves.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

That's why I said it's all up to her... and then I stated my own honest opinion.

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Timeline

i agree this site is very helpful and it is cheaper to do it this way but i feel really dumb when it comes to where do i start i have most paperwork filled out but its all the stuff that goes with that i dont understand ..lol

i agree this site is very helpful and it is cheaper to do it this way but i feel really dumb when it comes to where do i start i have most paperwork filled out but its all the stuff that goes with that i dont understand ..lol

Yup :yes:

As we pointed out it's your own decision. Some reading can help too, if you're really confused just ask. However, if you're unsure and want a legal help better get a lawyer then ;)

AOS Journey

01/18/08 - Mailed AOS packet to Chi-town

02/05/08 - Received Notice for Biometrics

02/23/08 - Received Notice for Interview (AOS)

02/26/08 - Scheduled Biometrics Done!

03/11/08 - Received Notice of Approval (AP)

03/13/08 - Card production ordered (EAD) Gee! Thanks a lot!!

03/21/08 - Approval Notice sent (EAD) Yahoo!!

03/24/08 - Touched & received EAD card today!! Yipee!!

03/25/08 - Scheduled Interview (AOS) Approved! Thankful!!

03/26/08 - Notice mailed welcoming as new permanent resident

03/28/08 - Card production ordered!! Wow!!!

03/31/08 - Received welcome letter.. Nice!

04/04/08 - Received green card through mail! Truly great! Mahalo nui loa!!

4589670_bodyshot_175x233_1205147893574.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It's really up to you, but if you'll decide to hire one make sure s/he know what s/he is doing

I'm dissapointed wit the lawer we hired he has no idea what he is doing, he made a mistake on each step, I knew more from this forum than from him and he had no idea of Ukraine as a country ( bacause he was talking of KIEV language (not ukrainian) which must be translated to english)...

See what's better for you

may be someone on this forum is in the same area with you and cn recommend someone really good in immigration

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by natashenika

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Ukraine

Marriage : 2006-11-02

I-130 Sent : 2006-12-11

2008-05-16 CR-1 visa issued

2008-05-20 recieved visa

2008-05-31 I arrived at JFK (took me 1hour and a half to be out of the airport with a stamp in my passport)

10 year GC

2010-03-06 I-751 sent

2010-03-09 NOA-1

2010-03-10 check cashed

2010-4-12 Bio (done early 3-29)

2010-6-3 card production ordered

2010-6-19 10 year GC recieved

N-400

2011-3-28 application sent via express mail to LEWISVILLE TX SC

2011-3-29 application recieved

2011-4-20 early BIO

2011-6-16 interview

2011-7-29 Oath

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Friends, after reading so many threads I've come to realize that hiring a lawyer means only one thing,

Mess up, many many members have experienced the ineptitude of lawyers on filing papers, advising what amount should go on the checks or EVEN sending the paperwork to the wrong address.

These so called "Immigration" lawyers are as capable on their field as my grandma is capable of running the New York Marathon.

Trust the VJ forum, believe me, it will save you money, solve problems and answer question correctly. I didn't hire a lawyer and didnt need to with this site's support. Just keep in mind DO NOT FOLLOW the first answer that pops up on your search results, verify the answer w/other similar questions, there are some people here that feel like answering a question by "guessing" even though they don't even have a clue about what they are talking.

Good luck!!

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Other Timeline
We didn't use a lawyer to file the adjustment but we spoke to two during the process.

Never advise posters not to use a lawyer. We are not experts here. Let the poster decide for themselves.

We initialy had a consult with a lawyerfor $ 75 that wanted to charges us $ 2000 for the entire procedure.

Once I had all my questions answer and I read the paperwork.... That seems possible.

We choose to do it without the lawyer . With Visa Journey and all the others... the adventure was succesfull.

This is a wonderful site.

I received my GC 2 weeks ago.

Whatever make u feel confortable

Timeline

ty for all your comments and it makes me feel better to know people support each other on here , i will try and do this myself with everyones help so if i ask a million question dont be mad ..lol ty very much hopefully one day i will be able to help someone too ..

Friends, after reading so many threads I've come to realize that hiring a lawyer means only one thing,

Mess up, many many members have experienced the ineptitude of lawyers on filing papers, advising what amount should go on the checks or EVEN sending the paperwork to the wrong address.

These so called "Immigration" lawyers are as capable on their field as my grandma is capable of running the New York Marathon.

Trust the VJ forum, believe me, it will save you money, solve problems and answer question correctly. I didn't hire a lawyer and didnt need to with this site's support. Just keep in mind DO NOT FOLLOW the first answer that pops up on your search results, verify the answer w/other similar questions, there are some people here that feel like answering a question by "guessing" even though they don't even have a clue about what they are talking.

Good luck!!

Sample bias here, though. People who used a lawyer successfully likely didn't come looking for VJ.

Rather like concluding that all American marriages are international because that's all that's here on VJ.

To the OP:

It is possible to file all of the paperwork yourself, and many, myself included, never consulted with a lawyer at all and had little to no hassle. That said, the one thing a good lawyer can provide is experience is in more complicated cases (where VJ and other sites just don't have enough collective experience to advise consistently), and if you have the money but lack the time to do your own research, it may be worthwhile for you. Or if you just don't have the comfort level with it.

A consult with a lawyer would be relatively inexpensive and could alert you to possible complications before they arise. But in any case, you'll still be the one who is most affected by the visa process, so reading the guides here is a good place to start to educate yourself, even if you pay someone else to handle the case.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

My lawyer has been wonderful.

She literally did everything. Even when we arrived at the office for our interview, we did not even sign in, she did it all for us, we just took a seat!

Total costs (just her costs, not filing fess) were about $2000.

WELL worth the money.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.