AddyG

Tourist Visa while filing for I-130

8 posts in this topic

I have 2 questions:

Background:

I'm Canadian and my husband is American. We are planning to start the K-3 process in April so I can gain permanent residency there. I realize that while the I-129F paperwork is processing it will be very difficult for me to visit the US on a tourist visa. So we came up with a plan.

I would like to enter the US on a tourist visa just before we submit any K-3 paperwork. As soon as I arrive we will then submit the I-130. That way I can be with my hubby 6 months during all this processing. Obviously after my tourist Visa runs out I will have to spend the rest of the time back in Canada until I actually get my K-3 interview.

Question #1) Does this sound like a bad idea?

If we do this, question 14 on the I-130 does ask for the I-94 Record, but i've never received one of these before when entering the US. The I-94 instructions even say "This form must be completed by all persons except U.S.Citizens, returning resident aliens, aliens with immigrant visas, and Canadian Citizens visiting or in transit."

Question #2) Assuming I'm in the US on tourist visa when we send off the I-130, how should I answer the "Arrival/Departure Record (I-94)" question on the I-130 form?

Thx,

A&M

***Naturalization ***

Submitted N-400: Dec 30, 2015
USPS Delivery Confirmation:
Direct Debit processed: Jan 5, 2015
NOA: Jan 9, 2015
Biometrics Appointment: Jan 28, 2015
Interview: May 7, 2015
Oath Ceremony: still waiting

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm Canadian with an American husband as well.

A word of advice, I know its hard but don't do it. If you are in the country while its in processing and it gets refused then you must leave the country and wait a certain amount of time before you can try again (I can't remember how long it is). You're better off staying in Canada and working.

Also, you need to apply for the K3 and the I129 at the same time. The I129 will take longer, and the K3 will get you into the country faster. My K3 is almost done, I'm just waiting for one final piece of paperwork. It took roughly 6 months.

Edited by moiraesfate

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Isn't there a 2-year wait period if the visa gets denied?

Even if it gets denied, you can still appeal it however and so long as you leave the country before the tourist visa expires it might not be a problem.

12-14-07 Sent K-1 petition

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

02-27-08 NVC processed petition

02-28-08 Received NOA2 in mail

03-03-08 Consulate in Rio de Janeiro received petition

03-21-08 Received packet for interview

04-22-08 Visa Interview and Visa APPROVED!

05-06-08 Visa received in mail

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-04-08 Applied for AOS (EAD and AP also)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

10-27-08 I-485 transferred to CSC

11-04-08 I-485 Biometrics appointment

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

12-09-08 EAD Biometrics appointment

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

Cost of 3 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in last 3 years...... $2,900+

Cost of filing petitions for K-1 visa & AOS.................... $1,465+

Cost of monthly calling cards to Brazil........................$20

Cost of marrying the woman of my dreams.... PRICELESS

.png

Filed: Timeline
I'm Canadian with an American husband as well.

A word of advice, I know its hard but don't do it. If you are in the country while its in processing and it gets refused then you must leave the country and wait a certain amount of time before you can try again (I can't remember how long it is). You're better off staying in Canada and working.

Also, you need to apply for the K3 and the I129 at the same time. The I129 will take longer, and the K3 will get you into the country faster. My K3 is almost done, I'm just waiting for one final piece of paperwork. It took roughly 6 months.

Isn't the K3 and I-129F the same thing when you're married ?

I'm sure that the I-129F is what takes you to a K3 if you're married and the I-130 is the CR/IR visa

So, you'd just send in both the I-129F and I-130 and see which one gets there first.

I mean, see which one gets approved first :wacko:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Humm... Going to visit him and enjoy time together is a great thing to do...as you havent send any documents yet.

However..depends where and when..but if you attempt to cross the borders with your husband..that might ring them a bell..( make sure to have enough ties to Canada to show them you gonna go back at 100% sure ).

Some officers are nice enough to understand that the purpose is just to visit and not be apart to long :)

Then once you are in US and you can send all your documents...regarding I-94 card..I would be honnest on the form and tell them the date of your arrival and the date of your departure. Just as it is also ask on I-129f.

Theres nothing illegal about being in US while filling..So dont worry about that...like I said.. as long as you gonna return.

Good luck and enjoy that time with your hubby :)(F)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

"A word of advice, I know its hard but don't do it. If you are in the country while its in processing and it gets refused then you must leave the country and wait a certain amount of time before you can try again."

I didn't know about this. I'm planning to do the same exact thing with my husband, i.e. have him enter on a tourist visa before we file. As there is nothing illegal or untoward about staying out your tourist visa, are you sure this is not a rule applied when you file for an adjustment of status rather than just an I-130 or an I-129f? Question 14 on the I-130 asks for information about the I-94 which indicates that it is common that beneficiaries have entered on tourist visas.

I suppose if you have every reason to believe that your petition will be approved then you have nothing to worry about anyway.

Edited by GabiandVi

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

My wife got turned down for a tourist visa in Dec 2007 when we were still dating. We married in Jan 2008. I have filed for K3 but I want her to come to US for about 4 days or so preferably before she gets K3, only to look at some areas for a house. I want to include her in the new house process and I want to have the new house ready for when she does get her K3. She would be leaving her 6 year old daughter behind in Costa Rica, I figured that would be compelling enough, even though it wasnt' last time.

The other thing is, even when my wife gets her K3, she will still be splitting her time between US and Costa Rica, probably 1-2 months here and 1 month there. She won't even be here full time.

Any input is greatly appreciated. This is somewhat gray area I know but i'm trying to do my homework.

Thanks...................Shawn

I-130

02-27-2008 - NOA-1

09-25-2008 - Approval Notice Sent!! (received email)

10-02-2008 - Received hard copy NOA 2 via mail[/size]

I-129F

03-03-2008 - Mailed I-129F via USPS next day service

03-04-2008 - I-129F delivered to VSC signed by P Novak at 1:50 pm

03-05-2008 - NOA-1 received in mail on 03-10-2008

09-25-2008 - Approval Notice Sent!! (received email)

10-02-2008 - Received hard copy NOA 2 via mail

NVC

10-06-2008 - Case received assigned case #

10-06-2008 - Case sent to embassy

10-06-2008 - Emailed DS 2032

EMBASSY

Embassy called my wife and set appointment for 10-10-2008 to pick up paperwork.

Appointment set for October 21, 2008 at 12pm

10-20-2008 Interview at 12pm. APPROVED!!PICK UP VISA 10-21-2008 at 3 pm

I-485 AOS

07-21-2009 - Mailed via overnigt. They received 7-22-2009 and rejected the same day.

07-29-2009 - Received rejected I-485 in the mail. (Incorrect fee's)

07-30-2009 - Mailed corrected packet overnight, they received next day 7-31-09

08-03-2009 - Received NOA for I-485 and I-765.

08-10-2009 - Received Biometrics appointment letter. Appt is on 09-02-2009 (DONE) Easy

09-15-2009 - I-765 Approved, Card production ordered

10-20-2009 - I-485 Appt Set

10-20-2009 - APPROVED!! Fast and easy 10-15 min interview.

10-21-2009 - CRIS email. Card production ordered.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
I have 2 questions:

Background:

I'm Canadian and my husband is American. We are planning to start the K-3 process in April so I can gain permanent residency there. I realize that while the I-129F paperwork is processing it will be very difficult for me to visit the US on a tourist visa. So we came up with a plan.

I would like to enter the US on a tourist visa just before we submit any K-3 paperwork. As soon as I arrive we will then submit the I-130. That way I can be with my hubby 6 months during all this processing. Obviously after my tourist Visa runs out I will have to spend the rest of the time back in Canada until I actually get my K-3 interview.

Question #1) Does this sound like a bad idea?

If we do this, question 14 on the I-130 does ask for the I-94 Record, but i've never received one of these before when entering the US. The I-94 instructions even say "This form must be completed by all persons except U.S.Citizens, returning resident aliens, aliens with immigrant visas, and Canadian Citizens visiting or in transit."

Question #2) Assuming I'm in the US on tourist visa when we send off the I-130, how should I answer the "Arrival/Departure Record (I-94)" question on the I-130 form?

Thx,

A&M

Happy and in love!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.