22 posts in this topic

Question 1:

Do you think I should have it replaced?

I sent mine back using form I-90. It took at least 6 months before I received my new corrected GC (of course we made several phone calls inquiring the status).

Note: You will not receive anything from them once you sent out your form, no letter or anything.

Now my other problem is My husband and I are going to move out of his parents house next week.

(Question 2)What should we do first? Have a change of address or mail the I-90 form?

You need to notify USCIS of your new address and to really MAKE SURE they got your new address before doing anything else (just my honest opinion).

The legal assistant also told me to make an Info-pass to set an appointment with our local USCIS office and have a stamp on my passport. however, my passport is still the old passport and I have my maiden name on it. When I called the USCIS Customer service, the lady told me to still get an info-pass and take my passport with me and 2 passport id photos and they will provide me with some sort of temporary ID or form since I have no passport with my married name on it.

(Question 3) Is this true?

We did made an info-pass but they did not stamped my passport. The lady told me I'll be okay as long as I don't travel outside the State and to keep my welcome letter safe. She also said to bring with me at all times a photocopy of my welcome letter and GC. Although, the lady on the phone told me to go back and have my passport stamped with I-155 but we did not go back anyway (it's a long drive). Besides, I already have a driver's license and that's what I usually use for identification.

Oh! I almost forgot, they told me it is the passport with your visa stamped on it. However, I both have my old passport and a new passport in my married name. If you will do the info-pass, do not forget to bring a certified copy of your marriage certificate, since, your passport with your visa on it is in your maiden name.

(Question 4) Should I get a new passport first or give what the lady told me a shot?

I had my new passport the day after we got married. And I brought both (old and new) with me when we did the info-pass, plus our marriage certificate.

Note: When we had our info-pass the lady asked for our marriage certificate, my old passport because it had the visa on it, the welcome letter and the GC and asked to show her what the error was.

I got my card from the National Benefits Center. (Question 5) It would be better to submit the I-90 form to the National Benefits Center rather than submit it through our local USCIS office right?

The lady told us to send the card and the form to the same office and address that sent you the card, not where you file it. You may call them and ask where you should send your card back, just to be safe. That's what we did.

My cousin told me that there's a typo too on her GC. But she did not notice that until a month or so after she received her card. She decided not to send it back. When she file for her removal of conditions, that's when she made the corrections. She made a letter about the error on her card and what should be the correct name. Of course she have the letter signed and notarized by their attorney plus evidence (documents). It work for her! She got approved. Now, she just applied for her citizenship/naturalization three months ago. (I already sent my I-90 when I talked to her. But I got my new card now after 6 months of waiting. HUH!)

Well, this was my experience. It is all up to you. You call USCIS and ask them what's the best thing to do. You decide which is better for your situation. And I hope by sharing my own experience helped shed some light.

Take care and good luck! ;)

Edited by Bernie4Bien

..... Well, this was my experience. It is all up to you. You call USCIS and ask them what's the best thing to do. You decide which is better for your situation. And I hope by sharing my own experience helped shed some light.

Thank you so much for your reply, thank you for your extra effort and for your time, i really appreciate it. I just viewed it just now, coz we are so busy for the past couple of days.we started to move out some of our stuff to the new apartment. It's so tiring... Anyway,I think I will definitely go with your advice, i will have my address changed first and change my SS status and get a CA ID, before i make the necessary efforts to have my name changed. or I can try what your cousin did. Was the correction on her card not that noticeable? Mine was the last letter... it's a instead of g...huh?

:wacko:

Oh and the card was sent to me by the Missouri center (NBC). I just called them and they gave me the address for the Missouri Center.

:yes:

I have follow-up questions though, if you don't mind...

Am I going to have problems when I apply for my CA ID and when i change the status of my SS? I still have to learn how to drive.. hehe...

Thank you thank you thank you!!:D

8.20.08-married :D:D:D

10.08 - forms I-485 and I-130 submitted through lawyer

11.08- biometrics

12.2008- appointment for interview received

01.04.09- EAD card received

01.28.09- interview for AOS

02.05.09- AOS approval letter and welcome note! yey!

02.12.09- GC recieved! :D (wrong middle name spelling)

02.15.09- moving out of in-laws' house.

confused if i have to change address first or have GC corrections

..... Well, this was my experience. It is all up to you. You call USCIS and ask them what's the best thing to do. You decide which is better for your situation. And I hope by sharing my own experience helped shed some light.

Thank you so much for your reply, thank you for your extra effort and for your time, i really appreciate it. I just viewed it just now, coz we are so busy for the past couple of days.we started to move out some of our stuff to the new apartment. It's so tiring... Anyway,I think I will definitely go with your advice, i will have my address changed first and change my SS status and get a CA ID, before i make the necessary efforts to have my name changed. or I can try what your cousin did. Was the correction on her card not that noticeable? Mine was the last letter... it's a instead of g...huh?

:wacko:

Oh and the card was sent to me by the Missouri center (NBC). I just called them and they gave me the address for the Missouri Center.

:yes:

I have follow-up questions though, if you don't mind...

Am I going to have problems when I apply for my CA ID and when i change the status of my SS? I still have to learn how to drive.. hehe...

Thank you thank you thank you!!:D

Sorry for the late reply. Been super duper busy lately with work and school. :blink:

I think it is the middle initial in her card, instead of B it was D.

Am I going to have problems when I apply for my CA ID and when i change the status of my SS?

I am not sure. Based on my experience they only looked at the name (above the card usually your first name, middle initial and last name) of my card, but not the one (below the card) with all the info. Just make sure that the name, middle initial and last name at the top of your card, is correct.

Both (my cousin and mine) our cards was sent by the California office.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for the late reply. Been super duper busy lately with work and school. :blink:

I think it is the middle initial in her card, instead of B it was D.

Am I going to have problems when I apply for my CA ID and when i change the status of my SS?

I am not sure. Based on my experience they only looked at the name (above the card usually your first name, middle initial and last name) of my card, but not the one (below the card) with all the info. Just make sure that the name, middle initial and last name at the top of your card, is correct.

Both (my cousin and mine) our cards was sent by the California office.

hi!!:D sorry for the late reply it has been a month already... I got a new job already! yey!:D i already changed my address via the online. and i also applied for a CA ID and changed my SSN card. so far i didnt have any problems with changing it. you were right, it was only the name above the card that they look at...

anyway, im about to send them my card. just this week because i have been so busy with work. i dont know if my boss will allow me to have time off to make my info pass. and im still waiting for the CA ID but i got the new SSN card already.:P

8.20.08-married :D:D:D

10.08 - forms I-485 and I-130 submitted through lawyer

11.08- biometrics

12.2008- appointment for interview received

01.04.09- EAD card received

01.28.09- interview for AOS

02.05.09- AOS approval letter and welcome note! yey!

02.12.09- GC recieved! :D (wrong middle name spelling)

02.15.09- moving out of in-laws' house.

confused if i have to change address first or have GC corrections

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This very old thread is being closed because of its age. The poster immediately above can find many threads on the topic by using "Advanced Search" (at top right of VJ pages).

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.