The Robinsons

Will you become a U.S. Citizen?

66 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

I'm just a little bit curious. If and when we all manage to get our conditions removed. How many plan to take the next step to become U.S. citizens and how many will just remain permanent residents?

Personally, if things keep going this way hell will have to freeze over before I even consider giving up my Danish passport.

Dec 19, 2006 - Married at the city hall in Denmark

Jan 05, 2007 - Filed I-130 at the US embassy in Copenhagen (Approved)

Jan 30, 2007 - Received e-mail from embassy, I-130 has to be re-approved in London, we both need to file G-325A

Jan 31, 2007 - G-325A sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 15, 2007 - OP-169, DS 230 I & II, I-864 sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 27, 2007 - US embassy Copenhagen, I-130 re-approved and back

Mar 03, 2007 - Receive packet 4 - interview date April 12th

Mar 06, 2007 - Call from embassy - interview date is now on March 8th

Mar 08, 2007 - Interview at embassy - Visa approved IF medical report is all clear

Mar 14, 2007 - Medical exam

Apr 07, 2007 - Visa packet received

Apr 17, 2007 - POE Newark Intl. Airport

Apr 23, 2007 - USCIS refuse to change my mailing address

May 07, 2007 - Re-file for SSN

May 10, 2007 - USCIS receive visa packet from Newark

May 11, 2007 - Gets SSN

May 19, 2007 - Receive SS card

Jul 10, 2007 - Receive letter from TSC: greencard returned by post office - will re-send (duh!!!)

Sep 17, 2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

Feb 01, 2008 - Gets NC License - DMV will only issues it until Apr 17 08 (expiration date on entry visa in passport) since greencard not in hand

Mar 06, 2008 - After 10 months and some change GC FINALLY in hand!!

Apr 17 - Present: USCIS has managed to switch my case # with some else, send my greencard to the wrong address and had to make 3 - yes 3 - service requests on sending out my card

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm just a little bit curious. If and when we all manage to get our conditions removed. How many plan to take the next step to become U.S. citizens and how many will just remain permanent residents?

Personally, if things keep going this way hell will have to freeze over before I even consider giving up my Danish passport.

Nope, I will keep my Canadian citizenship.

These SOB got enough money for all the applications I submitted so far. I’m fine with what I have

Timeline

These SOB got enough money for all the applications I submitted so far. I’m fine with what I have

you wouldn't have to give up your Canadian citizenship if you become a US citizen ....

I could become a citizen after April this year but we really can't afford it right now.... maybe I will become a citizen in a few years....

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

you wouldn't have to give up your Canadian citizenship if you become a US citizen ....

I could become a citizen after April this year but we really can't afford it right now.... maybe I will become a citizen in a few years....

Yes, I know I can have dual citizenship but .....I had enough paying all those absurd and ridicules fees since I started my K-1 nightmare .No,I'm good staying Canadian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I know I can have dual citizenship but .....I had enough paying all those absurd and ridicules fees since I started my K-1 nightmare .No,I'm good staying Canadian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But citizenship is the only way to put a permanent end to those ridiculous USCIS fees. Yes, it does mean paying one more big fee for the N-400, but it puts an end to the fees for green card renewals, replacement cards if you ever lose your GC, address changes, re-entry permits, and whatever other things they may come up with in the future.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

But citizenship is the only way to put a permanent end to those ridiculous USCIS fees. Yes, it does mean paying one more big fee for the N-400, but it puts an end to the fees for green card renewals, replacement cards if you ever lose your GC, address changes, re-entry permits, and whatever other things they may come up with in the future.

ahhh but iansig40 has a British friend living here with an expired GC who is getting along just fine........ :whistle:

I plan on becoming a dual citizen, so I can get USCIS out of my hair. But if I am ever asked to recind my Canadian citizenship for the US, it ain't happening.

Edited by Cassie

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Not in the foreseeable future. I would not have come to this country if my country of birth did not provide me with 16 yrs of tuition-free education. To me that means a lot and I will not give up my citizenship there.

If some day, we have $$ just lying around idle to file papers in both countries, I might consider it. But then, who knows if we will actually receive services for the payment from USCIS!! The only other reason I would want to have citizenship is to vote - and I sure hope my vote (or lack thereof) will not make a difference where we live for a long time to come :thumbs:

Removal of Conditions - Nebraska Service Center

2/23/07 I-751 Notice date

3/23/07 NOA received (typo in name)

3/29/07 Biometric appointment received. Requested rescheduling

4/05/07 Second biometrics appointment received

4/18/07 Biometrics

4/19/07 Case status updated

2/23/08 Petition Congressman - no additional info.

3/03/08 Infopass in Chicago (12-mo extension)

3/19/08 Petition Senator's office

4/01/08 Case transferred - to an unspecified "USCIS office" (e-mail)

4/12/08 Letter - transferred to CSC on 3/27/2008. (typo in name)

4/22/08 Current Status: Card production ordered

4/25/08 Current Status: Approval notice sent; letter from Senator's office - expect 30-60 day wait for USCIS response!

4/26/08 Card arrives (with typo in name)

4/28/08 Card sent back via registered post (mistake to use Reg Post!)

5/05/08 Package delivered at Laguna Niguel, CA

10/02/08 Corrected 10-yr card issued

I-485

03/10/05 AOS interview in Chicago. Conditional PR (2-yr).

03/17/05 CPR card arrives in the mail

AOS thru Chicago DO (from non-immigrant visa category)

7/08/04 Mailed I-130, I-485 & I-765

7/20/04 Fingerprints/biometrics completed.

8/17/04 EAD approved

runcatqe4.jpg

Disclaimer: We are NOT lawyers by profession and all our posts should be viewed with that in mind.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Richard plans to apply for US Citizenship when the time comes and will maintain dual (US/British) status.

I will definitely apply the first day I am eligible, August 1st this year. Most probably I will work for the Government when I graduate, so I don't have any other options. Also voting and feeling proud that I am finally American are major factors. Even though the USCIS fee is huge, benefits are greater. Everyone have their own reasons why or why not they should become a citizen, but I feel like that usually people that can freely travel with the passport from their country are less likely to become a citizen than people who can’t.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is a major reason why my husband is applying next month. In the long run, it will be cheaper. He also wants to vote. And he will have his British dual citizenship still.

Timeline

ahhh but iansig40 has a British friend living here with an expired GC who is getting along just fine........ :whistle:

I plan on becoming a dual citizen, so I can get USCIS out of my hair. But if I am ever asked to recind my Canadian citizenship for the US, it ain't happening.

No ,for now you don't have to give up on you Canadian Citizenship but you never know with these SOB from USCIS ,they may change that in their agony for more cash

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We will apply for Andre's naturalization next year. We went to end the paperwork once and for all.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
Not in the foreseeable future. I would not have come to this country if my country of birth did not provide me with 16 yrs of tuition-free education. To me that means a lot and I will not give up my citizenship there.

If some day, we have $$ just lying around idle to file papers in both countries, I might consider it. But then, who knows if we will actually receive services for the payment from USCIS!! The only other reason I would want to have citizenship is to vote - and I sure hope my vote (or lack thereof) will not make a difference where we live for a long time to come :thumbs:

Well said my friend and I agree with you ,why waist more money ?

Unfortunately there are people from different countries for which a US passport means more then US Citizenship they get the freedom to travel and experience the freedom

Fortunately for me I'm not from one of those country so I will stay with what I have :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.