Austin_Volgograd

Volgograd, Russia - real estate?

36 posts in this topic

We would probably try in Vladivostok. Lots of foreigners, and not a lot of fat food. (Plenty of hot girls, but that's everywhere in Russia, right?)

I've been tossing around a few names, maybe something Italian sounding (all mobsters wanna go somewhere that makes them feel like the Godfather) but we'lll probably go with something like "The Fat American."

Who knows.... it's just a dream.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Austin_Volgograd, why don't you consider buying a flat/appartment as an investment?

My own appartment in Tver' costs about 50 percent more now than it costed 3 years ago. Meanwhile, you and your wife can live there, avoiding problems with her relatives.

Still, be aware that it could be difficult to bring money back to US when you sell that property. (It would be easier for your wife than for you to do that, I guess)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Austin_Volgograd, why don't you consider buying a flat/appartment as an investment?

My own appartment in Tver' costs about 50 percent more now than it costed 3 years ago. Meanwhile, you and your wife can live there, avoiding problems with her relatives.

Still, be aware that it could be difficult to bring money back to US when you sell that property. (It would be easier for your wife than for you to do that, I guess)

I am curious how much a modest flat/apartment might cost in Volgograd? I'm not rich (or comfortable) by any stretch of the imagination. :P

My wife said her parents paid about 1-million roubles for their apartment. (They had an apartment that her grandparents left them. They sold that and purchased their current one. And apparently, apartments cost more now. Maybe 20 to 30 percent more (or maybe about 45 to 50-thousand US dollars). :o There's absolutely no way I could gather that much cash. And I'm sure no bank in the US would lend me money to buy property in another country, especially when I have a big mortgage here!

I doubt buying a flat/apartment is an option for us. But thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by Austin_Volgograd

2005-08-10: Met Natalia and fell in love. Too bad she didn't.

2006-01-13: Married. Biggest mistake of my life.

2006-03-07: Began the I-130/I-129F process.

2006-11-01: POE - JFK / Home in Austin!

2006-11-15: She hits me and continues pattern of abuse.

2006-11-16: I filed for divorce.

2006-11-17: Wife is served divorce papers; she and daughter return to Russia.

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

[many more ups and downs during this time period - mostly downs]

2008-03-26: File for bankruptcy.

2008-07-30: Bankruptcy finalized.

2008-08-27: Divorce final. Started piecing my life back together.

(See my timeline for details.)

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't know if it helps. And I am not familiar with geography of Volgograd :)

Just looked in the internet how much an apartment in Volgograd may cost. I found a one-room apartment starting at 690,000 rubles OBO, 2 room apartment starting at 880,000 rub OBO.

http://www.cn-avega.ru/prod-kv2.shtml

Timeline
I don't know if it helps. And I am not familiar with geography of Volgograd :)

Just looked in the internet how much an apartment in Volgograd may cost. I found a one-room apartment starting at 690,000 rubles OBO, 2 room apartment starting at 880,000 rub OBO.

http://www.cn-avega.ru/prod-kv2.shtml

Thank you very much for the info. I wish I had the cash to buy something like this. My limit is about 250,000 rouble cash. :( Signature loans just aren't possible for me to buy foreign real estate.

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

Hell, it's almost cheaper to buy property there than to rent from one of those "foreigner" sites!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 1 year later...
Timeline
My limit is about 250,000 rouble cash. :( Signature loans just aren't possible for me to buy foreign real estate.
Update!

My wife came to the USofA November 1, 2006. I filed for divorce November 15, 2006 after she hit me (yes, domestic abuse). I should have filed charges! Stupid me. :wacko: We reconciled a short time - long enough for her to get her 2-year green card, at which time her attitude totally changed. She was setting me up for a fall! Well, it's Christmas eve, and she's in Russia - vacationing - to return sometime in January to try and milk me for more money. She still doesn't understand that Texas is NOT an alimony state, and I'm not offering to just give her tons of money after she bankrupt me. Yes, bankrupt! She hid money from me here and in Russia. :angry: She even propositioned me to delay the divorce so she could get her conditions removed from her green card!!! Talk about nightmares! Well, I'm hoping to get all this over next month and try and salvage my life. It doesn't look good. :(

Good luck to all of you Visa Journeyers!

Timeline
My limit is about 250,000 rouble cash. :( Signature loans just aren't possible for me to buy foreign real estate.
Update!

My wife came to the USofA November 1, 2006. I filed for divorce November 15, 2006 after she hit me (yes, domestic abuse). I should have filed charges! Stupid me. :wacko: We reconciled a short time - long enough for her to get her 2-year green card, at which time her attitude totally changed. She was setting me up for a fall! Well, it's Christmas eve, and she's in Russia - vacationing - to return sometime in January to try and milk me for more money. She still doesn't understand that Texas is NOT an alimony state, and I'm not offering to just give her tons of money after she bankrupt me. Yes, bankrupt! She hid money from me here and in Russia. :angry: She even propositioned me to delay the divorce so she could get her conditions removed from her green card!!! Talk about nightmares! Well, I'm hoping to get all this over next month and try and salvage my life. It doesn't look good. :(

Good luck to all of you Visa Journeyers!

Dude,

I am SO sorry this happened to you. I don't know what, but if I can be of any help to you in any way, please let me know. Other than that, I really don't know what to say. :( I wish you all the best, and I know you'll get through this scarred and wiser, but hopefully no less faithful. The right one is out there for you!

Z

Timeline
Dude,

I am SO sorry this happened to you. I don't know what, but if I can be of any help to you in any way, please let me know. Other than that, I really don't know what to say. :( I wish you all the best, and I know you'll get through this scarred and wiser, but hopefully no less faithful. The right one is out there for you!

Z

Thanks!

I can only hope that SHE gets through this a little wiser. I'm her 3rd husband (1st USC husband) and it seems she doesn't understand love and compassion. I gave her everything I had! My heart, my home, my life... And all she did was toss it in the toilet.

I hate that I fell for her manipulative ways. I am glad I got to be a positive influence in her daughter's life. I love that child more than life itself. Hell, she's the only reason I reconciled with the wife in December last year!

Scarred? Yes. Wiser? Hell yes! Faithful? I always have been 100% faithful and always will be. That's what's in my heart. I just wish she had been half as faithful as I've been. And honest, too. She pretty much lied to me and set me up from the day I met her. It's amazing what clarity I have in hindsight!

I'd still love to go back to Russia again. Dunno if I'd be interested in going through this visa stuff again... But maybe just to visit the few friends I have there now.

:sigh:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Sorry to hear about your predicament but here are some general issues you should keep in mind.

1. She has a valid CR1 visa good for two years which she can use to enter the US at any time regardless of your marriage status.

2. Because you guys married in good faith, she can divorce and marry another American and still remove her conditions. Disproving good faith is difficult.

3. Texas is a community property state like California.

4. She can get an attorney and his bills can be used to put a lien on your property.

5. Bankruptcy does not relieve you of any spousal support / divorce division of property debt.

6. You are not alone in the VJ Russian forum to be taken for a ride.

7. I hope you didn't buy any property in Russia which is under her name! If so this lady is really good.

8. Happy Holidays and good luck in the future.

Timeline
Sorry to hear about your predicament but here are some general issues you should keep in mind.

1. She has a valid CR1 visa good for two years which she can use to enter the US at any time regardless of your marriage status.

2. Because you guys married in good faith, she can divorce and marry another American and still remove her conditions. Disproving good faith is difficult.

3. Texas is a community property state like California.

4. She can get an attorney and his bills can be used to put a lien on your property.

5. Bankruptcy does not relieve you of any spousal support / divorce division of property debt.

6. You are not alone in the VJ Russian forum to be taken for a ride.

7. I hope you didn't buy any property in Russia which is under her name! If so this lady is really good.

8. Happy Holidays and good luck in the future.

1. I know that. Thanks for reminding me. :crying:

2. I married in good faith. She married for green card and money. She doesn't even have to marry another American. She can file a waiver to remove her conditions. Just harder.

3. Fortunately, there's not much community property. A child's bedroom furniture set and what little retirement I've accrued while married. Fortunately, not much!

4. She has an attorney, and she's already paid him with cash that she hid from me during our marriage. I know I'll be forced to "repay" her for this. I HATE paying lawyers TWICE! :angry:

5. Are you a lawyer in Texas? Fortunately, the divorce will be final quite quickly after the bankruptcy. No more spousal support! Division of property debt? Only the house if I am forced to let them foreclose. There is no other.

6. I know I'm not alone. And I know I'm not the last one. I wish I was... but I'm sure other nice folks will get screwed, too.

7. No. She wanted to, but I just don't (never did and never will) have that kind of "spare cash" just laying around! She TRIED... REALLY HARD to buy property. It was the topic of debate nearly every time I talked to her.

8. Thanks! You, too!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5. Are you a lawyer in Texas? Fortunately, the divorce will be final quite quickly after the bankruptcy. No more spousal support! Division of property debt? Only the house if I am forced to let them foreclose. There is no other.
No I am not a lawyer from Texas, the information below is just my common knowledge and lay person opinion.

The bankruptcy code is designed to function the same in every jurisdiction.

Therefore pursuant to 11 U.S.C. 523 (a)(5) and 523 (a)(18)):

Alimony and child support payments (court-ordered) are not dischargeable; Divorce and property settlements are not dischargeable unless the other party agrees to it.

But your house should be fine, because the bankruptcy code allows you to use their or your states exemptions. Texas and Florida provided you meet certain requirements will allow you to exempt the value of your homestead instead of the measly $18,000 something the rest of the country gets which is a joke if your equity is huge like in a California home.

Wow, your story should be used as a precaution to anyone looking to bring a wife to America. Although most end up happily married, unfortunately it is not that uncommon of a story. I brought a woman from Ukraine to America, but luckily for me she wasn't smart enough to hide her true self. It was quite apparent from the early days that she had only planned to get here for herself and her son. I was lucky and really dodged a bullet on that one. Because we never married she did return without any green card. I see she is back on the foreign wives circuit looking better than when she arrive to me. I feel sorry for the next guy she suckers.

At least I was lucky to discover the truth and not go through with the marriage. I am now very happily married to a wonderful woman from Kyiv, Ukraine. Next time maybe you will try Ukraine just as a different way to go. At least you don't need to jump through the visa hoops for Ukraine.

Best of luck with the settling of your divorce. The best advice is to distance yourself from her and keep it that way. Then give yourself time to heal before searching again. There are some very nice women in Russia and Ukraine that are just looking for a nice, loyal and hardworking husband. These women will keep you happy the rest of your life. Hang in there, you will get through this.

Timeline
No I am not a lawyer from Texas, the information below is just my common knowledge and lay person opinion.

The bankruptcy code is designed to function the same in every jurisdiction.

Therefore pursuant to 11 U.S.C. 523 (a)(5) and 523 (a)(18)):

Alimony and child support payments (court-ordered) are not dischargeable; Divorce and property settlements are not dischargeable unless the other party agrees to it.

But your house should be fine, because the bankruptcy code allows you to use their or your states exemptions. Texas and Florida provided you meet certain requirements will allow you to exempt the value of your homestead instead of the measly $18,000 something the rest of the country gets which is a joke if your equity is huge like in a California home.

Ah... I understand. Not dischargeable. But it is counted toward financial obligations. As for the house, I still worry because her name's on the title. Did that to help with the AOS interview. Only chance of me keeping it is to get her to sign it back to me. Otherwise, $2000 in equity doesn't save the house. :(

Timeline
Wow, your story should be used as a precaution to anyone looking to bring a wife to America. Although most end up happily married, unfortunately it is not that uncommon of a story. I brought a woman from Ukraine to America, but luckily for me she wasn't smart enough to hide her true self. It was quite apparent from the early days that she had only planned to get here for herself and her son. I was lucky and really dodged a bullet on that one. Because we never married she did return without any green card. I see she is back on the foreign wives circuit looking better than when she arrive to me. I feel sorry for the next guy she suckers.

At least I was lucky to discover the truth and not go through with the marriage. I am now very happily married to a wonderful woman from Kyiv, Ukraine. Next time maybe you will try Ukraine just as a different way to go. At least you don't need to jump through the visa hoops for Ukraine.

Best of luck with the settling of your divorce. The best advice is to distance yourself from her and keep it that way. Then give yourself time to heal before searching again. There are some very nice women in Russia and Ukraine that are just looking for a nice, loyal and hardworking husband. These women will keep you happy the rest of your life. Hang in there, you will get through this.

I will get though this. I've got great family and great friends. Thanks!

As for trying Ukraine, I'd do it for the sake of visiting another country, not because of the visa hoops for Russia. I've gotten VERY good at handling all that stuff! ;) I'd still love to go back to Russia and visit. I actually MISS the place quite a bit. I've spent at total of about 10 or 11 weeks there, and enjoyed it quite a bit... even in -25deg snow and ice. :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.