Austin_Volgograd

Volgograd, Russia - real estate?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi All!

My wife and I are considering buying an apartment or house in Volgograd, Russia. Yes, she'll be joining me in our home in Texas, but we'll be visiting often enough that buying something while she's still there makes a LOT of sense.

I'm curious if anyone is in Volgograd, or has current knowledge about real estate prices there. For example, how much can we expect to pay for a small house (1 bedroom), or a room in an apartment, or an apartment? My wife said her parents bought their current apartment for about $1 million rubles (approx $35,000). It's fairly close to the center of the city (maybe 5km) and pretty nice condition, with 2 bedrooms. Their address is: ul. Dvinskaya 20. Something not to far from her parent's apartment is what we're interesting in finding.

We're not looking for the most expensive place, just some place reasonable for her to stay now, and for us to use when we visit. And I've got a friend at work who would probably be interested in using it as well - and renting it from us when he and his wife go to visit.

Anyone have any ballpark figures? Or know of any web sites that might have info and/or listings?

thanks much!

Michael

2005-08-10: Met Natalia and fell in love. Too bad she didn't.

2006-01-13: Married. Biggest mistake of my life.

2006-03-07: Began the I-130/I-129F process.

2006-11-01: POE - JFK / Home in Austin!

2006-11-15: She hits me and continues pattern of abuse.

2006-11-16: I filed for divorce.

2006-11-17: Wife is served divorce papers; she and daughter return to Russia.

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

[many more ups and downs during this time period - mostly downs]

2008-03-26: File for bankruptcy.

2008-07-30: Bankruptcy finalized.

2008-08-27: Divorce final. Started piecing my life back together.

(See my timeline for details.)

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Just some general advice:

Russian law forbids foreigners from buying land. You can buy the property but not the land underneath it. So your wife will be probably be the property owner.

With that in mind I hope you have an excellent relationship, as for many second generation Russians it is near impossible to buy a flat of there own at the current prices in comparison to average salaries. Many are forced to live with their parents. I hope there is no potential for a scam.

Recently the trend in Russia is that apartments go up in price faster than actual houses.

As with everything else in Russia, be careful where you invest your money.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Austin Volgograd

I'm a russian girl and I live close to Volgograd. About one month ago I was checking newspaper with prices for apartments in Volgograd because me and my mother were thinking to probably move there. I was looking for 2 rooms apartment. I can tell you that prices were already much higher that your wife mentioned. Something not expensive was not less than 1.2 million rubles, but it was not the center and not that nice. Nicer flats were higher. I guess your wife's parents bought their flat some time ago. Here prices for real estate grow very fast. And dollar also is falling down now in Russia.

I am not sure if foreign citizens can buy a flat, I think Satellite is right - you may need to buy a flat on your wife's name. Think twice about it before you do it. Do you speak any russian? How strong is your relationship? Just be safe about it. Here people really live with their parens. I live with my mother for example. When my fiance comes here for a visit we just rent an apartment and it is nice. I think it is much cheaper to rent an apartment in Volgograd than in Moscow for example.

But if you still want to buy a flat have your wife to look at usual russian newspaper like VDV (Все Для Вас). She should know about it. Also this newspaper is online too. There are lots of offers with flats, prices etc.

Edited by Oregonfiancee

Timeline
Just some general advice:

As with everything else in Russia, be careful where you invest your money.

We've looked into this as well (in Lipetsk). While in theory there is nothing to prevent an American from buying a flat in Russia, there are some drawbacks (mostly related to taxes). In practice, it will be much easier for your wife to do it. Cash kickbacks often speed things up. (as an aside, it is amazing what money will buy in Russia. Entrance to universities, grades, treatment by police... )

Like most things, it will help if you know someone (a local, wealthy, real estate person can probably help you out -- assuming you are friends with him). The apartment I rented in Lipetsk belonged to my wife's friend's father. Nice guy, gave us a good deal. Invited us to his dacha for christmas (very nice place). It is the same everywhere - people help out friends they like.

Having family to help you out taking care of the place will be useful as well. (if you won't be there very much).

There is a capital gains tax on real estate in Russia - this is different for Russians and foreigners. (my knowledge of this is old, things may have changed).

The economics of this only make sense if you plan on being there a few months every year, or if you can rent the place.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline
Austin Volgograd

I'm a russian girl and I live close to Volgograd. About one month ago I was checking newspaper with prices for apartments in Volgograd because me and my mother were thinking to probably move there. I was looking for 2 rooms apartment. I can tell you that prices were already much higher that your wife mentioned. Something not expensive was not less than 1.2 million rubles, but it was not the center and not that nice. Nicer flats were higher. I guess your wife's parents bought their flat some time ago. Here prices for real estate grow very fast. And dollar also is falling down now in Russia.

I am not sure if foreign citizens can buy a flat, I think Satellite is right - you may need to buy a flat on your wife's name. Think twice about it before you do it. Do you speak any russian? How strong is your relationship? Just be safe about it. Here people really live with their parens. I live with my mother for example. When my fiance comes here for a visit we just rent an apartment and it is nice. I think it is much cheaper to rent an apartment in Volgograd than in Moscow for example.

But if you still want to buy a flat have your wife to look at usual russian newspaper like VDV (Все Для Вас). She should know about it. Also this newspaper is online too. There are lots of offers with flats, prices etc.

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, it was quite some time ago that her parents bought the apartment. I know we cannot afford to buy an apartment, but she says she can buy a room in an apartment for less money. She thinks maybe 250,000 roubles. Or maybe a very cheap flat, 1 room, for maybe 300,000 roubles. Does this sound reasonable?

I speak and understand only a little Russian. I do not know enough to be conversational yet. But I am learning more each day, with my wife's help. ^_^ My relationship is very strong with her. We really don't want her to stay with her parents. They are very confrontational and since we married, they don't want her to live with them any more. They tell her it's my responsibility. We cannot talk for 5 minutes without her parents yelling at her to get off the telephone! It's making us both crazy!!! :wacko:

I wouldn't mind renting an apartment, but with the amount of time we plan to spend in Volgograd, we think it might be better to buy something. If we do buy something, we'll definitely buy it in her name.

Thanks for the info about the newspaper. That's the newspaper we've been looking at. I didn't even notice the internet address at the top of the pages! :whistle:

There is a capital gains tax on real estate in Russia - this is different for Russians and foreigners. (my knowledge of this is old, things may have changed).

If anyone has any more information about this tax, I'm definitely interested to know more! Thanks! We might consider renting it out, but that would complicate visiting. I'd hate to throw the tenants out whenever we wanted to go visit!

Thanks for the info. I'd be happy to hear from anyone else with any more info. :)

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
They are very confrontational and since we married, they don't want her to live with them any more. They tell her it's my responsibility.
I wonder what would have happen if your wife married an average Russian man who like your wife is also unable to buy an apartment.

I would try to come to some understanding with her parents. They seem to have high expectations for American men. You should clue them in about what is going on around them in terms of newly wed Russian couples being forced to live with their parents because there is almost no conceivable way two people earning 6000 rubles or less a month can afford a 1 million ruble apartment.

Edited by Satellite

Timeline
They are very confrontational and since we married, they don't want her to live with them any more. They tell her it's my responsibility.
I wonder what would have happen if your wife married an average Russian man who like your wife is also unable to buy an apartment.
Without a doubt, they would want her to move out. They are tired of their granddaughter when she cries. They want to live alone, quiet. My God! My stepdaughter is only 2 years old! Geez!

They wanted my wife to marry a Russian man - her EX! They like him. He has a good salary, and has his own apartment. blah blah blah... They want her and her child to stay in Russia. They don't want to "lose" their granddaughter.

I would try to come to some understanding with her parents.
Easier said than done!
They seem to have high expectations for American men. You should clue them in about what is going on around them in terms of newly wed Russian couples being forced to live with their parents because there is almost no conceivable way two people earning 6000 rubles or less a month can afford a 1 million ruble apartment.
Yes. They think all American men are rich beyond belief. They don't care that I love my wife and step-daughter. They don't care that I do and will always take care of them. They want to sell their current apartment and buy a new one. They were expecting my wife to help them buy a new apartment! And she won't even be there.

Ummm... Clue them in?! Yeah... Right! It's a nice gesture, but they're just downright EVIL! We're just biding our time, trying to hang in there, until my wife and step-daughter can come to America.

Edited by Austin_Volgograd

Timeline
Yes. They think all American men are rich beyond belief. They don't care that I love my wife and step-daughter.

Of course. Compared to living in Volgograd, you probably are. Based on what you have said, I don't think there is any reason for you to buy anything in Russia. Why?

Your in-laws should understand that you aren't rich (mine do - they still like me). If they don't - oh well. You and your wife will learn to deal with it.

The truth - I spend time on this message board because I am able to learn from people about the immigration issues my wife and I are facing. I also have a place to share my advice. I hate hearing about money here. The only reason we need to mention it here is to get past the sponsorship #######. Otherwise, who cares.

Sorry to sound cruel here - but you don't need to put up with this. It is bullshit.

Her parents should be happy she is marrying someone she loves.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Austin Volgograd

I understand better now. And yes, it’s easy to say - try to have more understanding with parents. It’s very difficult to do it sometimes! Living in small flats here people, even relatives, can begin to hate each other. I saw it myself. And see now. My uncle for example lives in 3-rooms flat with all his family – his ex wife, his two sons and one son even brought his girlfriend there to live. Russian flats are usually very narrow. As a result my uncle and his elder son do not talk to each other at all already some years. They hate each other a lot. The ex wife of my uncle doesn’t like younger son and even doesn’t cook for him. And she is his mother! They more and more hate each other living in such limited place and no one wants to come to agreement. Crazy, huh? And it is not unusual situation here.

So I can understand your wife’s situation with her parents. Plus she now has an American husband. I don’t know why but here most of people really think that all Americans are rich. Like money grows on the trees there so you can go to your backyard in the morning and get as much as you want :lol: My fiance was shocked when he realized it. I am for example very silent here that I have an American fiance. Because if I say - people start to want money or gifts. As I understand so do your wife’s parents. That’s not good.

What about buying a flat or a room. I do not understand why you need in it since your wife will relocate to the US?? As I understand the only she needs now is the place to live for the time while she is waiting for the visa and where you can live together when you visit her. It can simply be done by renting a flat for some months.

You cannot buy even 1-room flat in Volgograd for 300.000 rubles. The cost is at least twice more. At least. What about buying just a room in the flat - you can find something for about 400.000 rubles. But FOR WHAT?? If you buy a room in the flat your wife will STILL live with other people in one flat. Where is the guarantee that she won’t be in worse situation than now with her parents? And when you come for a visit you really will be able to live in one flat with unknown people and to share kitchen and bathroom with them? For what to spend 400.000 rubles??

I don’t understand why you do not consider just renting a flat?? That is soooo much cheaper and easier if you rent it for some months.

If I would be on your place I would consider only renting a flat. In Volgograd cost for one-room flat for long renting is about $150-180 a month!!! 2 rooms – about $200- 250 a month. Most of flats have phone, refrigerator and necessary furniture. And if your wife even wants to buy a room in a flat with other people for $400.000… Hmmm, then why to buy such headache for $400.000 if she can simply rent a room like that for $50 or less a month? Especially she then will relocate to the US?

Just one good advice if you decide to rent a flat – tell your wife not to mention everywhere that she has American husband. She then will find much cheaper place to live.

In my opinion - better rent a flat for your wife to live now and save the money for your life together in US.

Timeline
Austin Volgograd

In my opinion - better rent a flat for your wife to live now and save the money for your life together in US.

Sorry if I was a bit harsh in my post earlier. My wife read it though, and agreed with my opinion.

I concur with this - renting a flat is a good idea, and should be pretty cheap (a few hundred US/month tops).

Also - keep in mind, for many people money becomes psycological. My wife has more money now than she ever had in her life, yet feels poor if we can't afford a few hundred dollars for a dinner every night (we are still working kids in our 20s, after all). You do get used to how easy money is in the states pretty quickly.

US or Russia, in the end, having money is not the same as being happy. Most rich people I know are miserable - they have plenty of time to think about what is wrong in their lives. This is easy for us to say - we are not starving to death. This may be hard for your family there to grasp, but they probably will in time.

Timeline
I agree. Only she's convinced that we're wasting money, throwing it away, if we rent. Because she thinks we can always sell and make a profit later.
Sorry if I was a bit harsh in my post earlier. My wife read it though, and agreed with my opinion.

US or Russia, in the end, having money is not the same as being happy.

Harsh? No. Honest? Yes.

I agree about being happy. I've never been rich, but I've been poor and happy!! :dance:

Everyone... Thanks for all the info & comments. I'm sure we'll end up only renting since I can't afford to buy anything now anyways. :) I think was only curious if it would be slightly realistic to even think about buying.

Does anyone know if it's possible for foreigners to own a business in Russia?

And if there is a business there.... would it be subject to paying off the cops, the mafia, the local politicians, and anyone else who wanted to get a piece of the action? This is assuming, of course, that it was actually owned by the USC, or even a joint ownership between the USC and RFC. I'm guessing that if it was owned by the RFC and the USC was just "behind the scenes" than it really wouldn't be that much different than the normal cops, mafia and local politicians getting their cut, albeit at a discounted rate.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Does anyone know if it's possible for foreigners to own a business in Russia?

And if there is a business there.... would it be subject to paying off the cops, the mafia, the local politicians, and anyone else who wanted to get a piece of the action? This is assuming, of course, that it was actually owned by the USC, or even a joint ownership between the USC and RFC. I'm guessing that if it was owned by the RFC and the USC was just "behind the scenes" than it really wouldn't be that much different than the normal cops, mafia and local politicians getting their cut, albeit at a discounted rate.

Owning a business is a piece of cake. Why do you think business visas are so easy to get?

You will be paying off everyone. I'm not kidding about this. A big company can hire security or pull diplomatic strings. Criminals and cops go after the little guys.

It won't make a difference who owns it. If you have offices, someone will find you.

If you are looking at starting a business, having good contacts with

1) local criminals

2) FSB

3) other businesses

will be the best path to success.

That being said, what type of business are you looking at?

Just tossing around the idea of maybe someday moving to Russia and opening an American restaurant. Kind of a sports bar type thing that caters to foreigners and Russians who need a little exta saturated fat in their diet. Think Hooters, but with hot girls!

Maybe a club in the basement that opens up as the restaurant winds down. (Propaganda Club, anyone?) Although, the kitchen would stay open for the late night crowd and the girls would go from serving food to serving drinks and dancing on the bar.

I'm hoping my pay offs to the local bosses and cops will be made in pasta and "VIP" treatment...

ah... dreams!

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Just tossing around the idea of maybe someday moving to Russia and opening an American restaurant. Kind of a sports bar type thing that caters to foreigners and Russians who need a little exta saturated fat in their diet. Think Hooters, but with hot girls!

Friends of mine have done this in Western European countires. Much easier there, with banks and police and all.

In Russia, you have a few challenges. Bank financing will be tough, so your investment will be bigger (though costs probably lower outside of Moscow). Police may cause trouble too - be nice to them (like everywhere).

Don't know what to tell you about the criminals. If you have enough friends in high places, they shouldn't be a problem. This probably depends upon where you are doing this...

I would think in a small city you could do this with 100-200K without too much trouble. Not sure that you would get rich doing it, though.

What are you going to name the place? (We have plenty of such places here - Hooters and Wing House both started in Tampa...) I think some 3 mile island wings sound good right about now :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.