Jools

Change in situation - K1 no longer required

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Here’s the situation…

Last July when we started our application for a K1 visa we had planned to get married in US and then for me to live there. However since filing our application, our situation and plans have changed and after the wedding in November this year my fiancée will be moving to the UK to live with me.

My question is this. What do we need to do to notify the USCIS that our situation has changed and that we no longer require the K1? And would this affect us in the future when we apply for a K3 in a few years or so? I would hope not as I expect this thing isn’t too uncommon?

Also, in November when I travel to the US for the wedding will I need to make any special arrangements? I will be visiting for approx 3 weeks, getting married and then returning to the UK where my fiancée will then join me shortly after.

Thanks,

Michael

28th July 2007 - I-129F posted to CSC

Filed: Other Timeline

If you wish to come to the US for your wedding, just come on the VWP as usual. The US does not require a visa for a wedding like they do in the UK.

Your USC fiance should send written correspondence to the Service Center she applied to informing them she wishes to withdraw the petition. Should the petition be approved anyway and you end up receiving Packet 3 from the consulate, you should then inform them of the same.

This won't affect future petitions derogatorily. You may have to explain it, but it won't hurt you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

But when you enter in the US on a VWP, make sure you do NOT tell them you're going to get married!

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for that Rebeccajo, thats pretty much what i thought myself. I'll get her to send a letter then.

Cecile and Bryan, I have always thought that you should be honest with Immigration as to the purpose of your visit and i would just take as much evidence as possible with me to prove my intention to return to the UK, such as Letter from employer, lease for my apartment, enrolement in a university course i will be doing at the time etc.

Are you saying that if i say i am getting married and have evidence of my intention to leave afterwards they may rufuse me entry simply for using the W word?

28th July 2007 - I-129F posted to CSC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Are you saying that if i say i am getting married and have evidence of my intention to leave afterwards they may rufuse me entry simply for using the W word?

They can refuse you for using any kind of word...

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

They can refuse you for using any kind of word...

They can and likely will for using that word combined with the personal pronoun "my". I'm honest with my wife. When she asks me what I'm doing for work today, I'll tell her whether I'm staying in the office or to which town I'm driving. I do not detail all my potential activities. For instance, when I go to a nearby town that has an ice cream shop she really likes, I don't mention my plan to stop there, or where I might be planning to eat lunch. I already know what she'll say about the ice cream stop. If she asks me, I'll answer but I won't volunteer it.

For the CBP officer, a simple honest answer like visiting friends or simply "pleasure" is honest without raising a red flag. They are unlikely to ask you if you're entering for your wedding. If they do, that's the time to discuss that issue.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.