10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello :)

My fiance is coming here on a K1 Fiance Visa and I am wondering, does anyone have any advice for planning and organizing a civil ceremony marriage? I'm not really sure how to start. I think it usually takes place in a court house, right? Do you have to schedule a time in advance? Is there a fee? What documents are required from each of us?

Thanks for your help!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

everything varies from state to state but these are the requirements asked from the clerks office for our marriage license

- both our birth certificates

- my passport

prior to that, we already talked to the justice of the peace(judge for others) for the ceremony sched. (time and date).

ceremony may happen at your requested place---courthouse, garden, house or at the office of the presider/judge (but this depends if the judge approves or not).

We just went to the courthouse in Santa Ana and got married. It was a nice and easy process

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My fiance is coming here on a K1 Fiance Visa and I am wondering, does anyone have any advice for planning and organizing a civil ceremony marriage? I'm not really sure how to start. I think it usually takes place in a court house, right? Do you have to schedule a time in advance? Is there a fee? What documents are required from each of us?

Thanks for your help!

We got married in the court house. And there wasn't any fee. Good luck

Thanks for your help!

Depends on your state/county. The first step is usually getting a marriage licence. If the state you are in has no waiting period, you can get married the same day. The licence usually has a fee.

You can get married by a judge or justice of the peace. Some require appointments, some will charge a fee. Talk to your local courthouse for more information on that.

The only documents required in most states are ID's.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for your help!

please let us know which state and county you are planning on have your civil ceremony and definately someone will help you out

Timeline

Thanks for your help!

please let us know which state and county you are planning on have your civil ceremony and definately someone will help you out

It will probably be in Multonomah County in Portland OR. But, I was wondering, if I'm a Washington resident, is it better to have the ceremony in Washington? If so, then it would probably be in Clark County in Vancouver, WA.

Thanks so much for advice, it's really helpful :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Thanks for your help!

It will probably be in Multonomah County in Portland OR. But, I was wondering, if I'm a Washington resident, is it better to have the ceremony in Washington? If so, then it would probably be in Clark County in Vancouver, WA.

I dunno if there is any residency requirement.

In regard to the wedding license in WA, it is very easy if you do it in person. You go with your fiance(e), fill some paperwork and can use the wedding license three days after. :) And the wedding license is only valid for a month.

I got married in WA too. :)

Congratulations. :)

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Timeline

Thanks for your help!

In regard to the wedding license in WA, it is very easy if you do it in person. You go with your fiance(e), fill some paperwork and can use the wedding license three days after. :) And the wedding license is only valid for a month.

Thanks! I really appreciate the information. Why is the license only valid for a month? What do you do after a month? Congratulations to you as well and Happy Valentine's Day!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Thanks for your help!

Thanks! I really appreciate the information. Why is the license only valid for a month? What do you do after a month? Congratulations to you as well and Happy Valentine's Day!

I think the license is only valid for a month just because. Sorry, i don't have a better answer for that. However, that one month validity might vary from one county to another. :)

The wedding license allows you to get married. So you just have to get married within that time and send back the paperwork to your county auditor( the officiant is the person sending the paperwork in). Instead of sending the paperwork through regular mail, you can go in person to your auditor's office the same day and get a certified copy on the spot.

It is very easy. If you have any more questions, let me know. :)

Edited by Lili

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.