Krissy!

Affidavit of Support

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Ok, so I'm in a little bit of a dilemma regarding the requirements of affidavit of support:

I'm a part-time college instructor, bringing in what would contribute to be "above poverty level" (if I worked a full year). This is now a huge step down from my previous years of working a full time job in addition to 3 other part-time jobs (teaching, tutoring, etc). So this year I'm a little more worried about providing the affidavit of support due to the following:

My SO and I were discussing about the possibility of my coming out to stay with him this summer, as I literally will not have a job this summer (well, presently I was offered just 1 class to teach Monday through Thursday for 8 weeks, which also requires a daily commute of about 90 miles round trip). And we thought maybe I'll move out of my current place, and put my belongings in storage and I "move" to Jordan to spend out the rest of time there until he gets the K1 Visa....

my only concern, as I explained to him, is that I most likely will not meet the requirements of proving that I can provide support for him once we're back to the states, and that I may not have a job waiting for me..... yikes.

I mention that we may need to get a co-sponsor that meets this.. but problem is, I do not really have anyone to do that.... perhaps can ask a cousin I'm close to, but I'm very uncomfortable asking for such support. :blush: My parents are out of the question. (I was raised with the idea that "you're responsible for all of your own finances").

Anyone had a similar dilemma? How does it pan out? What's your opinions?

Of course, we would love to stay together and work through this, but it is stressful thinking I won't have a job upon my return, and possibility not have a co-sponsor to help us out...... (does it really make a big difference to have a "sponsor" in reality anyways?)

Thanks!

(does it really make a big difference to have a "sponsor" in reality anyways?)

Yes it makes a big difference. Unless you can show adequate financial support, the visa will not be granted. If you are unemployed at the time of the interview, then you have no current income and will not qualify. If you don't want to be dependent on others, you need to have adequate income at the time of the interview.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
(does it really make a big difference to have a "sponsor" in reality anyways?)

Yes it makes a big difference. Unless you can show adequate financial support, the visa will not be granted. If you are unemployed at the time of the interview, then you have no current income and will not qualify. If you don't want to be dependent on others, you need to have adequate income at the time of the interview.

Right, a qualified sponsor is required. If you can't or won't use a co-sponsor, you'll need to adjust your plans to be able to qualify yourself.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

No sponsor - no visa.

just to follow-up. does it mean that if the petitioner who has no work/income at the time of interview (but has a co-sponsor), and was allowed to pay the visa delivery fee is already "approved".

No.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Timeline
No sponsor - no visa.

just to follow-up. does it mean that if the petitioner who has no work/income at the time of interview (but has a co-sponsor), and was allowed to pay the visa delivery fee is already "approved".

No - there are no guarantees in this biz, unfortunately. But getting a joint sponsor is a smart move here (it was for us).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
Ok, so I'm in a little bit of a dilemma regarding the requirements of affidavit of support:

I'm a part-time college instructor, bringing in what would contribute to be "above poverty level" (if I worked a full year). This is now a huge step down from my previous years of working a full time job in addition to 3 other part-time jobs (teaching, tutoring, etc). So this year I'm a little more worried about providing the affidavit of support due to the following:

My SO and I were discussing about the possibility of my coming out to stay with him this summer, as I literally will not have a job this summer (well, presently I was offered just 1 class to teach Monday through Thursday for 8 weeks, which also requires a daily commute of about 90 miles round trip). And we thought maybe I'll move out of my current place, and put my belongings in storage and I "move" to Jordan to spend out the rest of time there until he gets the K1 Visa....

my only concern, as I explained to him, is that I most likely will not meet the requirements of proving that I can provide support for him once we're back to the states, and that I may not have a job waiting for me..... yikes.

I mention that we may need to get a co-sponsor that meets this.. but problem is, I do not really have anyone to do that.... perhaps can ask a cousin I'm close to, but I'm very uncomfortable asking for such support. :blush: My parents are out of the question. (I was raised with the idea that "you're responsible for all of your own finances").

Anyone had a similar dilemma? How does it pan out? What's your opinions?

Of course, we would love to stay together and work through this, but it is stressful thinking I won't have a job upon my return, and possibility not have a co-sponsor to help us out...... (does it really make a big difference to have a "sponsor" in reality anyways?)

Thanks!

I felt the same as you...But luckily my mom met my husband before we married and got to know him. She also knew that I was making efforts to be a sole sponsor. So when we were asked to get a Joint Sponsor by the Consulate Officer, she did not hesitate to help out.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Wanted to thank you for your imprint. I also agree it's best to stick with what I have here,.... and focus on getting him here...

Also, as it seem to work for others, I would also like to try to get a co-sponsor. How does one bring it up with a potential sponsor?

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.