Converse34

How did everyone meet?

114 posts in this topic

I love how we are all dorks on here in some way or another :-D

You speak for yourself! :lol::P

My mom basically was like "who meets their husband/wife online?" Well, apparently lots of other people! She still buys into the old "anyone you meet online will kill you and put you in an oil barrel in a remote location."

Hahaha - when Jeremy and I met online seven years ago there was definitely that perception of meeting people online, but I have found since we have been back in touch and got together again, a lot of people can relate or know someone else who met someone online etc :D

I personally think it is a great way to meet people because you get to know someone for who they are without being distracted by appearance and all that BS :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We met through a mutual freind who was swedish and had moved to Cork. Good job she moved to cork becuase my DW was going to see her in sweden and we would never have met.

21-01-08 Found Sponsor UIL

12-02-08 Requested Affadavits of Bona Fide marriage from freinds

04-03-08 1st affadavit received

07-03-08 2nd Affadavit received

11-03-083rd Affadavit received

12-03-08 Our affadavit notarised

13-03-08 I-130 Posted DCF london Embassy

15-03-08 Application rejected (Rejection was due to lack of evidence of DW permission to work and live in the uk which they had already and eveidence we had been living in the country permanently for the last six months)

17-03-08 Re submitted I-130 and G-325a's DCF to london along with supporting evidence.

04-04-08 Credit Card Billed NOA1

05-04-08 Email received confirming File date 4th of April

09-04-08 Evidence received back along with Affidavit of bona-fide marriage

21-04-08 Applied for Police certificate from the Gardaí

31-05-08 Received Police Clearance from the Gardai

19-06-08 1400hrs sent application for Police clearance certs ACRO

19-06-08 1401hrs Realised i hadnt put in copies of bills and passport so posted them in a separate envelope

20-06-08 Received phone call asking for copies of bills and passport

28-06-08 Received ACRO police cert and RFE for Affadavits ####### see 09-04-08. Sent original affadavits

09-07-08 NOA2 Received :)109 Days from filing

11-07-08 Packet 3 Received

14-07-08 Posted DS-230 waiting on Birth Certificate (long)

11-08-08 Visa Interview APPROVED

12-08-08 Medical at 0850

19-08-08 Visa in hand

05-12-08 Arrive in Twin Cities (Provisional)

I had met his first wife in my local pub and we became friends and they joined my 'social circle'. After a couple of years the marriage ended and she returned to the US, some months later my relationship ended and he invited me to go backpacking in Italy with him and his teenage son, to 'cheer me up' I guess :whistle: .... and I never went back to my own home :lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Gareth and I met online on a pen-friend site. My close friend convinced it would be a great idea to have a pen pal. After weeks of searching through different ads and only finding muppets and weirdos (I would get requests for my bank account information and worse.....much, much, much worse), she sent me Gareth's ad. I responded to his ad and the rest is history. The best decision I ever made.

Haha! My fiancé's name is Gareth too! We met through the messenger Skype. My friend actually started talking to his roommate and she called me and told me to get online and chat with them. I did and Gareth and I hit it off! We realized after about a week of talking that we were meant to be. :)

Our K1-Visa Timeline

04-21-2008 I29-F Sent

04-25-2008 I129-F Received at VSC

05-01-2008 NOA1 issued

05-05-2008 Check cashed

05-06-2008 Touched

05-07-2008 NOA1 Received

06-04-2008 Touched!!

07-31-2008 NOA2 Approved!

08-01-2008 Touched.

08-07-2008 NOA2 Hard Copy

08-07-2008 NVC Received

08-08-2008 Sent to London Embassy

08-11-2008 Embassy Received

08-20-2008 Packet 3 Received (not exactly sure because of address problems)

american-british-flag-realtor.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I love everyone's stories.

It was the summer of 2004 and I was in America for the very first time, through CCUSA, and was assigned at a camp outside of St. Louis. Chris lived 15 minutes down the road from camp and was working there that summer for the first time. We met during a staff meeting, started talking for hours at a time, spent a week seriously flirting, and finally, almost four years ago (June 27!) we kissed under the stars. (Aww.) I wasn't expecting the relationship to last because I was leaving in a couple of months, but "I love you" followed quickly, and then he drove eight hours to Oklahoma City to spend a day with me after I had left camp, and we knew then that we would continue the relationship long-distance. I went back to camp for a second summer, visited nine months after that, and finally moved to St. Louis for a year from October 2006-2007. He came to Bangkok in April. This will hopefully be our final separation.

AOS, EAD and AP Journey

* Married on March 18, 2009.

* Papers mailed on May 8, 2009, arrived at Chicago lockbox on May 10, 2009

* Check cashed on May 14, 2009.

* NOAs for AOS, EAD, and AP issued on May 14, 2009 and received on May 18, 2009.

* Biometrics letter received on May 20, 2009.

* Biometrics appointment on June 4, 2009 at 8 am.

* EAD and AOS touched on June 5, 2009.

* EAD card production ordered and AP approved on June 17, 2009.

* EAD card received on June 25, 2009.

* AP received on June 26, 2009.

* Celebrating five years as a couple with much-delayed reception on June 27, 2009. What a journey it has been.

* Case transferred to CSC on July 14, 2009.

* Received noticed that case is pending at CSC on July 21, 2009.

* AOS touched on July 31, 2009.

* Card production orderd on August 12, 2009.

* Green Card received on August 21, 2009.

Hi y'all!

Well, would like to share to this topic :)

My husband and I met online June of 2006 in FilipinoFriendFinder site. The first time I saw him with his profile, I already got a crush on him. Unexpectedly, he saw my profile and asked me to be his friend coz he wanted to learn the Filipino language. So we talked a lot and started to get to know each other. I was so surprised to know that he was in the Marine Corps before and he was assigned on duty in the Philippines. Then he started sending me flowers and chocolates, cards. We found out that we are compatible and we decided to meet for the first time on March 2007 and proposed marriage at the beach (waves and cool breeze...romantic). His second visit was in November 2007 then the long wait came after that...but its worth it coz I arrived Texas February this year...got married April 12 in Tyler.

Edited by sweetcouple

---------------------------------

For updates, please visit my Websites: Workplace On the Web, Mhar's Display, Any Day Shop, A Blogger's Tech Notes, Bright Bundles, Emotionally Entertaining

My Friendster: MarlyM

Want Extra Cash? Click: Hits4Pay, ClixSense,

FortWorthStockyards5-23-08.jpg

At Fort Worth Stockyards

---------------------------------

April 12, 2008 - Wedding, Rose Garden (Tyler, TX)

May 23, 2008 - mailed AOS packet to Chicago Lockbox

June 7, 2008 - NOA for I-485, I-765, I-131 received

June 9, 2008 - Received ASC letter

June 24, 2008 - Biometrics appointment in Fort Worth

July 9, 2008 - AOS transferred to CA

July 28, 2008 - AOS approved

Aug. 5, 2008 - GC received

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My mom basically was like "who meets their husband/wife online?" Well, apparently lots of other people! She still buys into the old "anyone you meet online will kill you and put you in an oil barrel in a remote location."

My Mum is still of that thought... even though we met 7 years ago, have gotten married and have a son... :unsure: Infact her words the other day were "you're a pretty girl... I still don't understand why you decided to meet someone online... You could have got one from real life"... :wacko:

Timeline

09/08/02: Met on BP

02/17/03: First meeting in person @ PHL

11/11/06: Married in LDN

My Mum is still of that thought... even though we met 7 years ago, have gotten married and have a son... :unsure: Infact her words the other day were "you're a pretty girl... I still don't understand why you decided to meet someone online... You could have got one from real life"... :wacko:

:lol: So she thinks maybe you don't talk in real life still?!?! Lol :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You know, there were still plenty of people murdered etc from people they met at bars, churches etc before the internet came along. You can meet a Ted Bundy type at a club and never think that he's killed 20 people...ok so I'm rambling here, but I think the old ways of meeting people aren't as applicable anymore. Back in the day people weren't as mobile and tended to live and die where they grew up...you married the guy who was your boyfriend in high school or college.

Online, you meet people who you likely would have never had the chance to meet. I wonder how many people just settle for the person next door just because it is convenient? There is nothing wrong with it, but that doesn't mean you'll necessarily be happy.

I dunno...I'm rambling here and I'm at work so I can't formulate a good argument, but there is just as much good and bad online as there is in real life IMHO. Already there isn't as much stigma as there was a few years ago...I find it's mainly my parents generation that thinks it is weird...but then again it's just something new and different from how they did things.

wtf-picard.jpg

I met Nicky on a message board for Doves (the Manc band) who we are both huge fans of. We are also huge fans of the band U2, and he mentioned on the board he was basically coming over to the US for a bunch of shows. I messaged him and asked if he was coming to the show in Omaha, Nebraska (I'm originally from Nebraska and only moved up to Chicago a couple years ago) and at the time he wasn't, but changed his mind (he was originally going to go to the shows before and after Omaha). So we made an arrangement...if he gave me his presale code, I would get the tickets for us. So did that, he came over for the show and stayed with me (and about 6 other U2 buddies of mine) in my apartment in Lincoln. That also happened to be a few days before my birthday, so I had a birthday party at a local restaurant and later drinks at a martini bar called Doc's.

Now, what happened next just proves that Nicky is indeed truly in love with me!

So we were drinking and doing shots, and my friends wanted me to demonstrate a certain flaming shot called "The Statue of Liberty." Basically, you take a shot of rumplemintz, dip your finger in the shot....light your finger on fire, then take the shot. Once you have the shot down your gullet you put your finger in your mouth to put out the flame. Theoretically, this is all supposed to happen so fast that only the alcohol on your finger burns, and not your flesh.

So anyways, a bunch of us all thought it would be a good idea to make the Brit do the "Statue of Liberty." So Nicky nervously dips his finger in the shot, lights his finger on fire...and goes to take the shot. Now, instead of it ALL going down his gullet he splashes some of the booze on his face, and when he goes to put out his flaming finger he accidently lights his face on fire.

I'm not kidding you, poor Nicky had a flaming face.

To my embarrassment (and my friends embarrassment) we were all so shocked we sat there like idiots with our mouths open for a few seconds, including my friend who is a trauma nurse. One of my other friends (who happened to be an ex-flame...pun not intended) had his wits about him, looked around the table for water...and seeing that it was all booze decided to blow out his face. He just leaned over and "pfff pfff pfff" and put Nicky's face out.

Thankfully, other than a small bit on his cheek it was alcohol that burned, and my trauma nurse friend stepped into action.

As you can imagine, I felt BAD about it, and after he left we lost touch for a while. However, a few months later I was planning a backpacking trip to Europe and I got back in touch with Nicky, and we started talking about backpacking Scotland and Ireland. After leaving Paris I met up with him in Newcastle, and we finally had our first kiss several days later in Glasgow. And from there on out it is history.

So anyways, that is the long winded...and fiery version of us first meeting!

:lol: I'm sorry I couldn't help but laugh. Glad he was ok!

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
I dunno...I'm rambling here and I'm at work so I can't formulate a good argument, but there is just as much good and bad online as there is in real life IMHO. Already there isn't as much stigma as there was a few years ago...I find it's mainly my parents generation that thinks it is weird...but then again it's just something new and different from how they did things.

Well, I am not even sure if that is true anymore. My mother was totally against the idea of online dating until I did and for some reason kept coming back home alive and unraped. After that she started doing it herself. She has found all of her boyfriends from 2002 until the present through the internet. There are a lot of people here on VJ in their late 40s and 50s who met their SO online. I think the stimga is going the way of the dodo for everyone. Like cybering. Does anyone call it cybering anymore?

I am going to come out and say that I never dated anyone that I didn't meet online. :innocent:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Sarah and I met through a website for the book series Wheel of Time. We had a mutual friend, and I was talking them about Stargate and she told me in a joking manner "Oh, you should PM Sarah, she's a fanatic." We started talking about stargate and everything else, and really hit it off. Board messages turned into Emails, which turned into MSN conversations. We talked about having a phone conversation and she said "Oh, I'll call you this weekend!" The running joke is she stood me up three times before she finally called.

We started Texting back and forth (much to my wallet's pain!), and I was planning a trip to London to visit other friends initially, and ask her to help with planning a place to stay etc. Well one thing led to another and we had fallen in love, so my plans went from visiting other friends for a week, to visiting her for three, and staying with her.

The rest is as they say history, and I've never been happier!

K1 Visa Process:

I-129F Sent : 2008-05-23

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-05-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-10-01

NVC Received : 2008-10-03

NVC Left : 2008-10-21

Consulate Received : 2008-10-24

Packet 3 Received : 2008-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-11-10

Packet 4 Received : 2008-12-04

Interview Date : 2009-01-13 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

Visa Received : 2009-01-19

US Entry : 2009-02-11

AOS:

Date Filed : 2009-04-14

NOA Date : 2009-04-20

Bio. Appt. : 2009-04-30

AOS Transfer: 2009-05-06

Approval / Denial Date : 2009-08-07 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Greencard Received: 2009-08-21

ROC:

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2011-07-22

NOA Date : 2011-07-25

Bio. Appt. : 2011-08-25

Approved : 2011-10-21 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Green Card Received : 2011-10-26

event.png

So how is it they we all came to meet our fiance(e)s/Spouses from the US/UK? I'm thinking a lot of people met online, but I bet just as many hadn't. I met must husband at a party when I was a student in Manchester.

I moved to Indiana for a years work placement/internship as part of my degree. After two weeks I decided I needed a US cell phone, went to the mall, went in every phone place there, and finally decided to get one from the last place. I was in the store ages and talking to the three guys in there, J was apparently chatting me up but I didn't realise :blush: After I got my phone he told me that if I needed someone to hang out with or show me around (cheesy but it worked) to give him a call.

A few days later we went on our first date, and were inseperable for the remainder of the year pretty much.

Got engaged after 11 months, 2 months later I had to come back to the UK to do my final year of my degree, and two years after finishing my degree I am finally getting to move back to IN on Sunday :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

We met at a wedding. :D

He was a groomsman for his cousin, and I was a last-minute fill-in for someone to accompany one of the bridesmaids. Her boyfriend couldn't be her date, so I went with her instead. It was instant-click too. :luv: He had one week left before going back to Scotland that we had together, and left mid-September.

A week later, I booked my flights to Edinburgh for a trip in December (the soonest I would have time to go over). I think we always knew we were meant to be. We were txting, emailing, talking on the phone almost every day from the moment he went home. Thank god for the internet! :lol:

AOS

NOA: 6/26/09

RFE: 7/9/09

RFE removed: 7/31/09

Biometrics: 7/29/09

AOS Transferred: 8/21/09

AP Rec.: 8/21/09

EAD Rec.: 8/22/09

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
We met at a wedding. :D

He was a groomsman for his cousin, and I was a last-minute fill-in for someone to accompany one of the bridesmaids. Her boyfriend couldn't be her date, so I went with her instead. It was instant-click too. :luv: He had one week left before going back to Scotland that we had together, and left mid-September.

A week later, I booked my flights to Edinburgh for a trip in December (the soonest I would have time to go over). I think we always knew we were meant to be. We were txting, emailing, talking on the phone almost every day from the moment he went home. Thank god for the internet! :lol:

Part of me wished we could have lived in Edinburgh (Nicky is from just south of there) as it is just the most interesting city in the world. Whenever we go we try to eat at the Halfway House, up Fleshmarket Close. Quite the interesting little pub!

I would imagine if I lived there I would be in the most amazing shape with all the hills.

wtf-picard.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.