w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Four Generations

42 posts in this topic

Ok, that was a bit extreme, but trying to relate to people through stereotypes? That is cringeworthy.

The Steve Carell character in The Office does that. Cringeworthy is about right...

His idea of celebrating "diversity" seems to involve some throwing some sort of "Mexican Fiesta" - complete with Donkey, sombrero, mustache and Pinata.

:lol: The show is funny and depressing at the same time.

We had these kinda of studies all the time when I was studying Behavior Science (which I graduated with). The whole course load was about "bridging communication gaps" and different managerial theories and categorization. Parts of it were stereotyping, sure, but there is some truth behind the stereotyping as well.

Isn't there a difference though between making a generalization and stereotyping?

How about "trending" then. :D They focus on the trend that these generations have certain characteristic :P

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is much of a difference between generalising and stereotyping when you are dealing with colleagues. It's fair enough to use these things in a study perhaps when the individuals needs are not really important but when you are working with people, to make generalisations is to not see the individual and hence you get these ridiculous behaviours which are caricatured by The Office...as it were.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The Office is actually pretty accurate - though there is a pretty marked difference between the boss characters in the UK and US versions.

My boss at my last UK job was pretty much exactly like the Steve Carrell character - complete with the "a business is like...." cliches and complete inability to tell you what he actually wanted from you (except indirectly, through elaborate and totally useless metaphors).

Which begs the question, if he saw the US version of The Office, would he a. recognise himself and b. find it funny?

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline
Which begs the question, if he saw the US version of The Office, would he a. recognise himself and b. find it funny?

Probably. I mean... people identify with the show, laugh at it - and the next morning go to jobs very similar to the ones depicted in the TV Show.

Hmm, I think if I recognised myself as one of the more cringy stereotypes I would probably want to change myself, and quickly! So, I am guessing the identification only goes so far.

Yeah, I am thinking that some laugh at it and little realise they are the people in the show.

Here's hoping I am not one of those :lol: :lol:

Timeline
Hmm, I think if I recognised myself as one of the more cringy stereotypes I would probably want to change myself, and quickly! So, I am guessing the identification only goes so far.

True - But I think when you reach a certain level of seniority, you pretty much have to have an unrealistically high opinion of yourself. I'm sure my old boss thought the stuff he was saying was pretty profound - though it was clear to me at least that much of it came down to how well you could blag it.

There's no getting around the "I'll tell you what I want it to be like" stuff though. I worked there for a year (while saving up money for the move to the US) and never really figured out exactly what the guy wanted - or even what he (personally) was contributing to the business.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
My old boss in the UK *was* David Brent - right down to having aspirations as a stand-up comedian.

OMFG you poor thing.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
The Office is actually pretty accurate - though there is a pretty marked difference between the boss characters in the UK and US versions.

My boss at my last UK job was pretty much exactly like the Steve Carrell character - complete with the "a business is like...." cliches and complete inability to tell you what he actually wanted from you (except indirectly, through elaborate and totally useless metaphors).

Animation characters are all about exaggerating such stereotypes - it's part of the humor.