mawilson

Should the Oath of Allegiance be a blood oath?

Naturalization - blood oath ritual  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Oath of Allegiance be a blood oath?

• Hell yeah, the oath should be signed in blood to seal the commitment
    • No, it is no longer possible to expect a lifelong commitment from naturalized citizens

56 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
National autonomy doesn't exist in today's global economy. National and economic interests are often overlapping. Is a steady supply of foreign oil an economic interest or national interest? So when it comes to citizenship and allegiance - what's more important? Economic or national interests?

It's still U.S.-economic and U.S.-national, not some "global" mumbo jumbo.

How does importing foreign oil make the Oath of Allegiance any less relevant?

Beyond our Constitution and what it invokes, I don't know what a good citizen of the U.S. should be allegiant to. The President? The military? Washington? National interests?

The QueenThe country, the Constitution, the flag, national interests, economic interests.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
National autonomy doesn't exist in today's global economy. National and economic interests are often overlapping. Is a steady supply of foreign oil an economic interest or national interest? So when it comes to citizenship and allegiance - what's more important? Economic or national interests?

Beyond our Constitution and what it invokes, I don't know what a good citizen of the U.S. should be allegiant to. The President? The military? Washington? National interests?

The QueenThe country, the Constitution, the flag, national interests, economic interests.

Aha. That's what I was talking about from the beginning. How does a good citizen remain loyal to which economic interests? Buy American?

Timeline

Aha. That's what I was talking about from the beginning. How does a good citizen remain loyal to which economic interests? Buy American?

If possible. I realise it's not always possible.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So, are you saying that we are all chinese?

Timeline

If possible. I realise it's not always possible.

But my argument is that even if one were to try to remain allegiant, it would be quite difficult to decide which economic choices benefit us directly. For example, General Motors has some of their factories in Mexico, while most, if not all Toyotas that are sold in the U.S. are made here. So which is the more allegiant choice?

"Ich bin ein Berliner." ~ JFK

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So are we all Chinese Doughnuts?

And I don't trust JFK... He did whatever the Pope ordered him to do...

Timeline

So are we all Chinese Doughnuts?

And I don't trust JFK... He did whatever the Pope ordered him to do...

Definitely not a true patriotic American.

Timeline
But my argument is that even if one were to try to remain allegiant, it would be quite difficult to decide which economic choices benefit us directly. For example, General Motors has some of their factories in Mexico, while most, if not all Toyotas that are sold in the U.S. are made here. So which is the more allegiant choice?

Buy American. If Americans stopped buying Japanese cars, GM wouldn't have to relocate

their factories outside of the U.S. to stay competitive.

Timeline

Buy American. If Americans stopped buying Japanese cars, GM wouldn't have to relocate

What about the free market? Are you becoming a Buchanian? Isolationism won't work. Let's face the fact that our economic interests are so intertwined with global economics. Who really benefits when Walmart, the world's largest retailer helps to make China the largest manufacturer of imported goods into this country? Nationhood seems more and more irrelevant in the larger scheme of things. I know that's scary to some, but it's reality and it's one of the consequences of having a 'free' market.

Timeline

What about the free market? Are you becoming a Buchanian? Isolationism won't work. Let's face the fact that our economic interests are so intertwined with global economics. Who really benefits when Walmart, the world's largest retailer helps to make China the largest manufacturer of imported goods into this country? Nationhood seems more and more irrelevant in the larger scheme of things. I know that's scary to some, but it's reality and it's one of the consequences of having a 'free' market.

Sorry, I'm pro-isolationism and protectionism.

Timeline
Definitely not a true patriotic American.

Being catholic is un-American.

But that is not the reason I don't like JFK and LBJ...

That might have been more true before WWII, but not now. I've been watching the documentary series, Jewish Americans on PBS...it's fantastic if you haven't seen it. There was a transformation in this country during WWII where Protestants, Catholics, and Jews, all became accepted as something genuinely American.

Seriously? Since when? Have you read anything by Pat Buchanan?

Timeline

Seriously? Since when? Have you read anything by Pat Buchanan?

Since always, man. I believe in free trade only when it benefits us.