Ahmed N Cheryl

Wedding Plans

80 posts in this topic

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

The dress is nice but as others have said, it doesn't go with the veil. Are you doing white? Personally, at my age (33) and the fact that I have two children ( the jig is up so to speak), I wouldn't do white but that's me. I also wouldn't do a veil because IMO the veil seems "virginal" and more appropriate for a first marriage. Again, that's just me.

Seeing Cairo's track record I wouldn't be planning a spring or even summer wedding. I'd probably lean towards fall. Sure there are exceptions to any rule but Cairo being Cairo, I'd definitely not put a spring wedding in the books.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Im a little late getting in my 2 cents because Ive been AFK this weekend, but hopefully this stuff will still be helpful to you.

Also if anyone knows where to buy wedding stuff cheap let me know....like ring bearer pillows, flower girl baskets, decorations etc. We are on a tight budget these days. My daughter starts college this Fall and her senior year of high school is not cheap.

I got a TON of stuff at Hobby Lobby and Garden Ridge. I priced things ahead of time, took a digital cam with me to those 2 stores and Michaels to see what was available, what looked good, and the difference in prices between the 3 stores. In my area it turned out that Garden Ridge had the majority of the good deals on what we needed.

Since AHmed is muslim and I am Christian there are some other details we have to pay attention to. Careful on the catering or food served and he prefers not inside a church. So hat is where the GARDEN CAME IN and the flowers are so beautiful there you really do not need much decorations. Anyway I am rambling......sorry. Thanks for your input.

Cheryl

My Ahmed is also Muslim and I am Christian. We had our legal ceremony at the courthouse, but the formal one 2 months later at my parents' house in the Davis Mountains. Ohhhh I couldnt have picked a better spot if I tried. Having an outdoor wedding solved so many problems on religious ceremony differences and we were both terribly happy with the result. I might add the weather was near perfect and some lovely little songbirds attended, too :)

It is okay....I appreciate all input. After going Wedding Dress shopping today I agree I did not like the veil with the dress. I also went with the a halter look instead of spaghetti straps. So the veil is still a work in progress. I will post a picture of the one I actually bought today.

Wedding Dress I bought

Cheryl

I much prefer this dress to your previous one. It has a lovely goddess-like quality. TSK mentioned something a few posts back about some hair decoration as opposed to the veil, and I think that might work with this dress. Finding the right veil can be such a PITA.

And I wish you the best of luck with your date goal :) Our anniv is March 28th (for our legal ceremony) ;)

Thanks yassmine and no it is not too late. While Ahmed is at his Interview this Monday in Cairo I took the day off and intend to shop around for some wedding stuff to keep my mind off it. I do not think I have a Garden Ridge store but I have Michaels and hobby Lobby. The hardest part is that my dress is Ivory not white and it is harder to find Ivory stuff. The veil looks alot fanicer in the picture than it does in real. It just has a corded edge and a few rhinestones scattered. The dress has a rhinestone empire waist. When the lady put it on me though I think she did not put it on in a good position. I may reconsider it or make my own. I am not sure yet about the flowers. I think I will try both and see which suits me best. Thanks again for your comments and support. I appreciate it.

Cheryl

Timeline
Beautiful dress and veil.

I had a 2 pc skirt and top with a train made just for me because i didnt want it too fancy and i wanted to be able to wear it again without it being looked upon as a wedding dress.

That is a great idea Angel. I actually thought about that too. After the wedding I will cut this one off and hem it and use it as a summer dress to wear out or to summer weddings I attend since it is Ivory and not white. Will see......since I can sew a little too.

Cheryl

I'll have to join in the chorus that likes this one better than the first one. Its beautiful and I bet you cant wait to wear it !

YAY what fun!

Thanks Sara...Beautiful baby!!!

Cheryl

Absolutely Gorgeous!!!! :thumbs: Love the dress. And that is coming form a girl that NEVER wears dresses.

O.K :blush: I wore a Islamic dress and scarf to meet Medo's parents and complained most of time. :whistle:

Thanks Cheryl....lol at complained the whole time.

Cheryl

Timeline
The dress is nice but as others have said, it doesn't go with the veil. Are you doing white? Personally, at my age (33) and the fact that I have two children ( the jig is up so to speak), I wouldn't do white but that's me. I also wouldn't do a veil because IMO the veil seems "virginal" and more appropriate for a first marriage. Again, that's just me.

Seeing Cairo's track record I wouldn't be planning a spring or even summer wedding. I'd probably lean towards fall. Sure there are exceptions to any rule but Cairo being Cairo, I'd definitely not put a spring wedding in the books.

No Moody the dress is Ivory....for some reason it looks white in the picture and maybe it is because it comes in both colors. But the one I bought is Ivory. I think the veil over the face is more "virginal" but I am really undecided about that. I may wear some baby breath in my hair and be done. I am just undecided about that. But will decide eventually.

Thanks for your input.

Cheryl

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I like the idea of the baby's breath in your hair as opposed to wearing the veil. Just my opinion, though.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I just might have to steal that idea of babys breath... I bought my dress friday I love it :)

I went with ivory too.....

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

Timeline

Water I just read that the visa was corrected in your post.....I am so happy for you.

LOL......well okay I guess everyone is leaning towards the flowers or baby's breath in the hair, Problem is I have no idea how I am going to wear my hair. Probably up. That will look better with the flowers/baby's breath.

I love that you share your opinions with me...it makes it easier for me to make decisions. Couldn't do it without you.

HUGS to all.

Cheryl

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I hate to be a spoiler ... but ... where's the wedding dress in the dress?

Given, it's a nice dress, but it's too conservative for what my opinion would be in regard to "festive" or "celebratory".

( Unless they have a bad picture, that is. ;) )

But, all is not lost! You have mighty tools in your arsenal: The Tailor and Embellishments. :) Use them! (Albeit, wisely. If you use too much firepower, you'll turn the thing into a smoldering mess heheh!)

----

For hair, how about this. ( There's a nice use of flowers right there on that page ~ it'll look good. )

Up is ... um ... er ... um ... ... ... just bad.

Edited by KyanWan

The moral of my story: Stick with someone who matches your own culture.

( This coming from an Arab who married an Arab from overseas... go figure. )

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi fellow Alabamian

I know a couple that got married at the Botanical Gardens. I wasn't able to attend but their pictures were beautiful. I agree with some others, the baby's breath in your hair would be perfect IMO.

I'll be thinking about the both of you on the interview date. Hope everything goes well.

Connie

I'm glad you went with the second dress, I like it much better. I do have some comments on the veil though. I don't see anything wrong with wearing a veil at any age, you don't have to cover your face though. I would stay away from any veil with rhinestones because they don't photograph well. And if you do decide to get a veil, definitly get something longer. Its more flattering and hides your bottom which most people (except JLO) would want to do anyway.

If you decide against a veil, then I would definitly NOT reccomend babys breath. Its very outdated. I would go for a bloomed rose or any other romantic flower you like and maybe a nice rhinestone or pearl hair accessory. Silk flowers are also a good choice.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.