Jeraly

Planning Your Wedding

39 posts in this topic

A beach wedding sounds lovely!!

As for last minute... (have I said this before?!) I can really recommend getting a wedding planner!! If the wedding is to be small anyway then it can be really reasonable (we thought that our wedding with a 25% wedding planner fee was going to be $8-10k - in reality it has been less than half of that as they knew where to find things cheaper).

You can get a planner, tell them your budget, timescale and what you are looking for and seriously - they are soooo good. I laughed so hard when we first booked but now I wouldn't be without them! In fact we are having a non-legal ceremony next month (our "wedding" - yeah we jumped the gun before we knew enough about the process, yadda yadda) through them and we are now getting them to do our legal ceremony as well :)

Here is the link - they are based in Sedona, AZ but you can also research others in your area:

http://www.weddingsinsedona.com/

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Timeline

D and I are having a beach wedding...either in Key West, where we both love, or closer to home...like maybe St Augustine/Daytona (I hate Daytona Beach actually). Before we checked out any of this immi stuff, we wanted a cruise wedding...I am NOT playing tour guide-let's-do-Disney for 30 Brit peeps. So a cruise was the best idea, though as it sails intl, and there'd be no AP, it's a no go.

So our Brit peeps are not coming to the first wedding....we'll do a church blessing a year later at Lumley Castle.

http://www.lumleycastle.com/

Edited by LisaD

I know that I grew up with the idea of a fairy-tale type wedding (well, why not, I practically live next door to Cinderella's castle)...but gave up long ago that it would never happen...

Then I met Darren...

However, here's the kicker...I have very little money, so I gave up the idea of having it at Disney, and neither one of us are religious so we don't want a wedding in a church (me, I don't care one way or the other, but he doesn't want it). I'm not very keen on having it outside (weather in FL pretty unpredictable in the fall/winter), and my parents' house is WAY too small.

Any suggestions? Inexpensive is the key...

Thanks,

Dawn

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

Ok - just googling I found some things:

http://www.abeautifulceremony.net/index.html

http://www.orlandoweddinglocations.com/

http://www.orlandoweddings.com/

http://www.elegantweddingsoforlando.com/

Found these wedding planners on google too :)

If you're interested in seeing our budget from our wedding planner then pm me your e-mail address because it is on an excel spreadsheet and I can't upload it here. I can highly recommend them and if I show you our budget you might get an idea of how much/little it can cost and see where you might adapt things yourself to make it even cheaper :)

Aly :)

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

I know that I grew up with the idea of a fairy-tale type wedding (well, why not, I practically live next door to Cinderella's castle)...but gave up long ago that it would never happen...

Then I met Darren...

However, here's the kicker...I have very little money, so I gave up the idea of having it at Disney, and neither one of us are religious so we don't necessarily want a wedding in a church. I'm not very keen on having it outside (weather in FL pretty unpredictable in the fall/winter), and my parents' house is WAY too small.

Thanks,

Dawn

Dawn

March 2007 - Met online

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

sorry about the double post

Dawn

March 2007 - Met online

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

YAY I love this post. I refuse to pay ridiculous prices for stuff so most everything for our wedding was a bargain. And the wedding itself was beautiful.

One word: Ebay!!!

I got my veil here (actually I got 3 because I am picky....)

I got a bunch of other stuff for cheap from ebay too, but it's been too long since I bought them so they're not showing up anymore!

Other than ebay, I got my dress from a sample sale.... it's good to call the local bridal stores and find out when they are going to have sample sales because my dress was more than half off, and they cleaned it for free, so all I had to do was get it altered.

There are a number of forums for weddings only, I got a lot of ideas from them too.

Oooh and for decoration.... we got everything for our centerpieces from Hobby Lobby. They often have sales going on. I think each centerpiece worked out at $9 - way cheaper than if I'd gotten someone else to do it. This is what they looked like.

I also got my flowers and bridesmaid flowers from Hobby Lobby for mega cheap. They are silk, but I prefer that as they're cheaper and last forever.

That's about all I can think of for now. We did it without a wedding planner but with the help of my wonderful now hubby :) who was happy to go and meet people and so on..... but I definitely would have used a wedding planner if he wasn't so helpful ;)

Oooh - that is awesome! Yeah I (kinda) got my bridesmaid dresses from eBay. The seller (Cherlone) had them specially made for me so I could choose the specific colour and have larger sizes etc but normally if you just bid at auction you can pick the dresses they make up for about £40-£50 :)

Oh and for our guest book/photo album we are using:

http://www.designsbyloulou.co.uk/

Absolutely gorgeous and fully customisable. A little on the pricey side but much cheaper than getting them done professionally. We are getting our pics on CD and I will edit them and get them printed from online then mount them myself (well - will have a lot of time on my hands when I move!!)

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

mine was a very simple wedding yet very memorable. It was inspired by Hawaiian motif. Edited by sweetpink

bunbunard20090713_-6_ETHAN.png

I-751 Lifting Conditions Timeline

April 06, 2010 - mailed I-751 documents via usps express mail(overnight)with delivery confirmation

April 07, 2010 - packet delivered and signed

April 12, 2010 - check was cashed

April 13, 2010 - received NOA1 (dated 04/08/10)

May 07, 2010 - Biometrics

May 10, 2010 - Touched

June 23, 2010 - APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!

DSC00770.jpg

I registered on ebay about 5 years ago, but I've never bought anything - I've never dared to take that first 'plunge!' I might do so to save money, though.

I'm going to be oscillating over the coming months between wanting to do things properly and wanting to do things cheaply and quietly! Sometimes I think it'd be nice to have a proper dress and ask for a semi-formal attire and not use plastic goods, and other times I just think that it'd be far too attention-drawing and I'd be better off with wearing something more modest.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
I registered on ebay about 5 years ago, but I've never bought anything - I've never dared to take that first 'plunge!' I might do so to save money, though.

I'm going to be oscillating over the coming months between wanting to do things properly and wanting to do things cheaply and quietly! Sometimes I think it'd be nice to have a proper dress and ask for a semi-formal attire and not use plastic goods, and other times I just think that it'd be far too attention-drawing and I'd be better off with wearing something more modest.

But you can have what you want on a budget.... if you are willing to shop around and barter with people. It's your wedding and you should wear what you want, there are plenty of huge princess type dresses for reasonable prices, especially on ebay. I got one of my bridesmaid dresses custom made for less than $60 (that included shipping). However, I understand that for large items like the dress you might not be comfortable buying it on ebay.... it's a risk, but remember that there are cheap alternatives like sample sales. Target also do wedding dresses, very simple but nice ones, for around $100.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't ever think you can't make it special without spending $$$! My now husband always said very simply that it didn't matter as long as he and I were standing in front of one another.

I hemmed and hawed, and agonized...how could it be special if it wasn't in a church, if every single person I knew wasn't there, if we didn't have the perfect flowers, decorations and location and reception?

I realized that I had never defined what I could live with or without and I spent FAR TOO MUCH time worrying about what family members might say. I thought people had certain expectations and I was letting them down if I couldn't arrange a perfect event (yes...I'm #######)

If you enjoy baking - take the Wilton Cake classes offered at Michael's - I did and they were fab! I made my own cakes...went for simple, but I've made fancier for friends. It was really fun and it kept me busy during the K1 wait for interview.

I shopped around for my dress and actually found it at Sears...of all places...a beautiful long ivory gown, sleeveless with beading all over the bodice. was $165 + $100 for alterations at a dressmaker....I didnt think I'd find one, but once I realized I wasn't being married in a huge church, I could adjust my dress requirements....I love that dress, was fitted to perfection :)

I made my own favours....saw an example in Martha Stewart - and found the supplies all at Michaels, my husband and I spent an evening folding little boxes, threading ribbon and inserting fine chocolates from Laura Secord(Canadian store)

Our theme was winter/ snowflake theme since the wedding was at the end of Nov...Navy and silver..we bought beautiful snowflake decorations rom a fancy Christmas store - those probably cost the most :)

What I found was that everyone just wanted to come and enjoy the day with us - I could have told them we were going for a hike in the mud and I think they would have been game

Then I met Darren...

However, here's the kicker...I have very little money, so I gave up the idea of having it at Disney, and neither one of us are religious so we don't necessarily want a wedding in a church. I'm not very keen on having it outside (weather in FL pretty unpredictable in the fall/winter), and my parents' house is WAY too small.

Thanks,

Dawn

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Opps - one more thought:

I made the mistake initially of thinking - there's only a small number of guests...it isn't 'worth' getting all dolled up etc etc..getting hair done, having fancy food, having favours etc......

Do what you want within budget...you will only get married once, don't think you're not worth it.

The K1 process leaves you drained and feeling like you'd rather just 'get it done'...but why let the US Gov ruin it, ya know?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Yeah - it is your day - defo do what you want :D And as for eBay - the biggest piece of advice I can give you is check the seller feedback ;) Here is the shop where I bought my bridesmaid dresses. The guy's name is Kin and he was really great :)

Also I have finished my vows now... but for some reason firefox won't let me paste... ah well - will add them another time ;)

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

But you can have what you want on a budget.... if you are willing to shop around and barter with people. It's your wedding and you should wear what you want, there are plenty of huge princess type dresses for reasonable prices, especially on ebay. I got one of my bridesmaid dresses custom made for less than $60 (that included shipping). However, I understand that for large items like the dress you might not be comfortable buying it on ebay.... it's a risk, but remember that there are cheap alternatives like sample sales. Target also do wedding dresses, very simple but nice ones, for around $100.

Sorry - I didn't mean I was thinking of spending a lot of money, I hope that whatever I do pick is on a budget!

What I'm worried about is seeming overdressed or exposing too much flesh. It's only going to be a garden party, and although sometimes I can be outgoing and gregarious, at other times I can be painfully shy. Seems to depend on my hormones! :P Some days I think 'oh hey this is an opportunity to wear a big skirt and corset' and other days I think 'perhaps I should just look for a nice suit'.

But yes...my friend suggested we go and try on bridal gowns this weekend, then, when I've found a style I like, I can look on ebay/in charity shops for that style! She pointed out that when I try a dress on, it may change my feelings completely - I may feel that a big dress is what I want, or I may find I am too self-conscious in it :)

Yeah - it is your day - defo do what you want :D And as for eBay - the biggest piece of advice I can give you is check the seller feedback ;) Here is the shop where I bought my bridesmaid dresses. The guy's name is Kin and he was really great :)

Also I have finished my vows now... but for some reason firefox won't let me paste... ah well - will add them another time ;)

Hurrah for finishing the vows! :D Can't wait to see them!

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.