sauron

Filed for K1 in october, getting married in India in April, is it wise?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

from USCIS point of view , it will be on them to prove they are NOT married for the K1 visa. That is no easy task when you send them wedding photos. How do you prove you are NOT registered??? try that one. It is not for USCIS to prove they are married.

They have an uphill battle and it would be easier to cancel the k1 which will in all likely hood be denied after how many months. They may as well get married again in april. The time to research and find the quickest way for her to come here was before they filed and included the wedding info.

Now they are stuck in damage control and its not going to be quick. The damage is done. Unfortunately she will not be entering the USA asap. They will get a notice of denial, or a RFE, or be put in AR for awhile. And in the end after all that if they get to an interview, the interviewing consul will probably deny based on the wedding photos and him admitting they got married. The non legal non binding wedding with K1 works when you dont mention it. If they see anything that looks like a marriage, the K1 is off and the burden is on the petitioner to prove they arent married.

Chris

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/15/08 NOA1 received EAD

08/15/08 NOA1 received AOS

08/19/08 Checks cashed

08/23/08 biometrics appt letter

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Why not go for it, how will anyone know, just get married in the USA anyway like you have to. Good luck.

:whistle:

Did you read his post??? he sent wedding pictures in with his petition and a letter explaining how they got married. I think informing them in the petition will let them know.

Chris

I should have left the pictures out. As I said before, we were unable to register the marriage. In my mind at the time, that ruled out filing for a K3, since page 4 of the I-129f instructions require "a marriage certificate evidencing the legal marriage between the citizen and alien". Since that was impossible to obtain (believe me we tried so hard, but without support of her parents and neither of us being native to the city we were residing in, it was impossible to convince the bureaucracy to give us one), we chose the K1. In answer to your question "did we research", yes we did, elsewhere. I did not know of this site at the time. And I almost left the wedding pictures out...I spent a couple days making that decision. In the end I decided it would only be more evidence of the seriousness of our intentions. Accompanying that was a note from me explaining our difficulties getting the marriage registered in India, and that we intend to marry in the USA. I should have mentioned this all in the OP, but I did forget the reason we did not file for the K3.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Well I think I would wait it out. (And hold off on the April thing). There are October filers getting approvals so you probably are not too far off from hearing something....and God willing your explanation was enough to show you are not legally married.

Jun: I Met Elias in Peru

Oct: Returned to Peru. Elias proposed!!

Nov 26: Mailed I-129F to VSC

Nov 28: Rec. Signature Confirm of delivery from USPS

Nov 29: Check cashed ; rec. receipt number. E-NOA1

Feb 14: Touch

Feb 14: NOA2 by email!

Feb 19: File Arrived @ NVC

Feb 20: Hard-copy NOA2

Feb 21: File Left NVC for Lima.

Feb 25: File @ U.S. embassy in Lima!

Mar 04: Rec. Packet 3/4

Mar 18: 8 a.m. My Morenito's Interview!!

Mar 25: VISA IN HAND!!!

Apr 4: My love is home!!!!

Apr 29: Our marriage. And life begins anew..

Dec 31: Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP to Chicago

Jan 5: Rec. e-mail confirm of delivery from USPS

Jan 8: Check cashed. MSC number not visible....

Jan 12: Rec. Hard Copy Notices for AOS, EAD, and AP. Touched

Jan 16: Rec. NOA-Biometrics Scheduled 1/28/09

Jan 28: 9:00 a.m. Biometrics appt. Fast - 15 minutes in and out!

Jan 29: Touched.

Feb 3: AOS Trans. to CSC

Feb 10: AOS Arrived @ CSC

Mar 04: Touch on AOS

Mar 09: Notifice that AP approved 3/6/09

Mar 13: Rec. AP

Mar 16: Rec. EAD (surprised as USCIS shows no updates)

Apr 3: Rec Welcome Letter, AOS approved 03/30 (surprise, no updates on website)

Apr 8: GC Received

June 5: Our precious baby girl arrived!

June 7: Our darling son arrived!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I should have left the pictures out. As I said before, we were unable to register the marriage. In my mind at the time, that ruled out filing for a K3, since page 4 of the I-129f instructions require "a marriage certificate evidencing the legal marriage between the citizen and alien". Since that was impossible to obtain (believe me we tried so hard, but without support of her parents and neither of us being native to the city we were residing in, it was impossible to convince the bureaucracy to give us one), we chose the K1. In answer to your question "did we research", yes we did, elsewhere. I did not know of this site at the time. And I almost left the wedding pictures out...I spent a couple days making that decision. In the end I decided it would only be more evidence of the seriousness of our intentions. Accompanying that was a note from me explaining our difficulties getting the marriage registered in India, and that we intend to marry in the USA. I should have mentioned this all in the OP, but I did forget the reason we did not file for the K3.

Well i wish you good luck and i hope things work out so your wife/fiance gets reunited with you as fast as possible. I understand the pangs of long distance separation. Hopefully you will know soon what is going to happen so you arent in limbo too long. But i think youre facing some obstacles to hurdle.

Chris

Edited by chris4gretchen

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/15/08 NOA1 received EAD

08/15/08 NOA1 received AOS

08/19/08 Checks cashed

08/23/08 biometrics appt letter

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

I wonder if a document signed by a notary stating that it was NOT a legal marriage would be any help? Just a thought.

I suggest waiting to see what they come back with. I'm sure that the worst will be a longer wait and change of application but wait until they respond before doing anything.

"and God willing your explanation was enough to show you are not legally married."

I hope so too. Good luck.

I wish you luck (F)

Sounds like you'll have some obstacles to face.

Have faith in your love and in your relationship...you'll make it through.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

from USCIS point of view , it will be on them to prove they are NOT married for the K1 visa. That is no easy task when you send them wedding photos. How do you prove you are NOT registered??? try that one. It is not for USCIS to prove they are married.

They have an uphill battle and it would be easier to cancel the k1 which will in all likely hood be denied after how many months. They may as well get married again in april. The time to research and find the quickest way for her to come here was before they filed and included the wedding info.

Now they are stuck in damage control and its not going to be quick. The damage is done. Unfortunately she will not be entering the USA asap. They will get a notice of denial, or a RFE, or be put in AR for awhile. And in the end after all that if they get to an interview, the interviewing consul will probably deny based on the wedding photos and him admitting they got married. The non legal non binding wedding with K1 works when you dont mention it. If they see anything that looks like a marriage, the K1 is off and the burden is on the petitioner to prove they arent married.

Chris

The consul cannot deny the visa based on information that was provided to the USCIS with the petition. If USCIS approves the petition with this information available, then it cannot be returned to them for further adjudication based on information that it already had during the original approval. The consulate doesn't deny the petition, they can only return it to USCIS recommending they readjudicate it based on new information that was not presented with the original application. There is a good chance that the USCIS will deny the petition. If they don't, it means they accept his declaration that the marriage was not legal and qualifies for K-1.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Chris

The consul cannot deny the visa based on information that was provided to the USCIS with the petition. If USCIS approves the petition with this information available, then it cannot be returned to them for further adjudication based on information that it already had during the original approval. The consulate doesn't deny the petition, they can only return it to USCIS recommending they readjudicate it based on new information that was not presented with the original application. There is a good chance that the USCIS will deny the petition. If they don't, it means they accept his declaration that the marriage was not legal and qualifies for K-1.

So if you get a NOA2 then the Embassy can't deny you based on the evidence you initially sent the USCIS? I never knew that!

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Chris

So if you get a NOA2 then the Embassy can't deny you based on the evidence you initially sent the USCIS? I never knew that!

Now you know :thumbs:

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

*stops worrying so much about the wedding planner contract they sent with 11th Feb on as the date... has letter from wedding planner saying will postpone anyway but*

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

I feel your angst. We did a similar thing, although I knew before I filed the I-129F that it would be a mistake to mention our unofficial "celebration" at the petition phase. I then lived in fear that it would come up at the Consular phase, so I did everything I could to prepare my fiance for that. It did come up, and he got the visa by answering honestly and for reasons I'll detail below. Like you, there was no documentation whatsoever. In fact, our ceremony was performed by my husband's uncle, a shaman.

I actually made a little notebook in anticipation of a problem. In it I put:

-documentation of a phone call to the USCIS help line about which petition I should be filing (the IO I spoke with laughed at my story and said "just file the K-1")

-reference to a NOLO book about marriage-based immigration, which has a paragraph saying something to the effect that it is fine to have a non-legal ceremony if you are doing K-1 (which I think now is TERRIBLE advice, but it exists)

-copy of emails to/from a Nepali lawyer saying to file the K-1

-documentation of consultations with several US immigration attorneys (yes, I was freaking out)

-documentation of conversations my SO had with a Consulate-recommended lawyer in Nepal, the upshot of which was that, under Nepali law, without a Nepali marriage certificate, we were definitely NOT married... my fiance was asked about this at the time of the interview... he answered with the truth, and was granted the visa. DON'T LIE IF ASKED. This was the one thing that was the most helpful in overcoming our situation, in retrospect.

-copy of a past USCIS case decision (from India, I think!) relating to this very issue where a petition denial was overturned on appeal (I'll see if I can find it)

-anything else I could think of

You may get a denial from USCIS, in which case I imagine (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it would be easier to go ahead and get married and file for a spouse visa, rather than fight the denial.

It would be great if you would get an RFE instead, though, and I think you should prepare for that. One thing I would definitely do is hire an attorney in India who will review your situation and draft something for you outlining your status and the situation thoroughly, and saying that, in his/her legal opinion, you are not legally married under Indian law. If the Consulate you will be using will provide a list of attorneys they work with (Kathmandu did), choose one of them and be prepared to discuss the situation at the Consular interview phase (we did). If the Consulate does not have such a list, then choose a well-respected immigration law firm in the city of the Consulate you expect to use. And get the letter in time for an RFE response.

Good luck,

Maya

Edited by maya62

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Here is a link to the appeals of USCIS petition denials:

http://www.uscis.gov/uscis-ext-templating/...errFrameset.jsp

Sorry, I don't remember which year I was looking at, and there's a whole bunch of them. They're interesting reading, though, imho. If I can remember, I'll check at home to see if I can give you more specific info so you can find the one I thought might've been helpful.

Good luck,

Maya

ETA: on that link, you have to choose "after 2000", then choose D6 (fiance/fiancee) from the list of petitions

Edited by maya62

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Filed: Other Timeline
I feel your angst. We did a similar thing, although I knew before I filed the I-129F that it would be a mistake to mention our unofficial "celebration" at the petition phase. I then lived in fear that it would come up at the Consular phase, so I did everything I could to prepare my fiance for that. It did come up, and he got the visa by answering honestly and for reasons I'll detail below. Like you, there was no documentation whatsoever. In fact, our ceremony was performed by my husband's uncle, a shaman.

-documentation of a phone call to the USCIS help line about which petition I should be filing (the IO I spoke with laughed at my story and said "just file the K-1")

-reference to a NOLO book about marriage-based immigration, which has a paragraph saying something to the effect that it is fine to have a non-legal ceremony if you are doing K-1 (which I think now is TERRIBLE advice, but it exists)

-documentation of consultations with several US immigration attorneys (yes, I was freaking out)

-documentation of conversations my SO had with a Consulate-recommended lawyer in Nepal, the upshot of which was that, under Nepali law, without a Nepali marriage certificate, we were definitely NOT married... my fiance was asked about this at the time of the interview... he answered with the truth, and was granted the visa. DON'T LIE IF ASKED. This was the one thing that was the most helpful in overcoming our situation, in retrospect.

-copy of a past USCIS case decision (from India, I think!) relating to this very issue where a petition denial was overturned on appeal (I'll see if I can find it)

You may get a denial from USCIS, in which case I imagine (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it would be easier to go ahead and get married and file for a spouse visa, rather than fight the denial.

It would be great if you would get an RFE instead, though, and I think you should prepare for that. One thing I would definitely do is hire an attorney in India who will review your situation and draft something for you outlining your status and the situation thoroughly, and saying that, in his/her legal opinion, you are not legally married under Indian law. If the Consulate you will be using will provide a list of attorneys they work with (Kathmandu did), choose one of them and be prepared to discuss the situation at the Consular interview phase (we did). If the Consulate does not have such a list, then choose a well-respected immigration law firm in the city of the Consulate you expect to use. And get the letter in time for an RFE response.

Good luck,

Maya

Your husband's uncle is a Jhankri??? Cooool!!!! :thumbs:

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

It would be great if you would

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.