Lucie12345

Fiance in England received package, should he schedule interview right away?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello!

So, the NVC sent the accepted application to London England, and they sent the package to my fiance telling him what to do now.

I had heard that after you request an interview, it usually takes 4-6 weeks for the embassy to schedule an actual date.

Unfortunately, we did not realize the information we needed to gather, and he just requested his criminal background check. They told him that it could take up to 40 days for him to get it back. Also, I'm still gathering the information for the I-134 that I need to send him, and his physical is on Thursday.

In order for them to schedule an interview, my fiance needs to send them a checklist saying that he has all the necessary information. Should he tell them that he has the information while we are in the process of gathering it so that a interview can be scheduled, or is it best to wait until he has everything in his hands?

Does anyone know how long it usually takes after you tell them you are ready to schedule an interview?

Thank you so much!

Have a great day!

I wouldn't send it back unless you physically have the info you need - if it gets lost in the post or you don't get it in time or the interview is scheduled for right away then you could be facing a refusal for not having the correct information.

As much as it sucks, personally I would wait until you actually have the info you need before sending back the checklist or you could be in a bit of a pickle!

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hello!

So, the NVC sent the accepted application to London England, and they sent the package to my fiance telling him what to do now.

I had heard that after you request an interview, it usually takes 4-6 weeks for the embassy to schedule an actual date.

Unfortunately, we did not realize the information we needed to gather, and he just requested his criminal background check. They told him that it could take up to 40 days for him to get it back. Also, I'm still gathering the information for the I-134 that I need to send him, and his physical is on Thursday.

In order for them to schedule an interview, my fiance needs to send them a checklist saying that he has all the necessary information. Should he tell them that he has the information while we are in the process of gathering it so that a interview can be scheduled, or is it best to wait until he has everything in his hands?

Does anyone know how long it usually takes after you tell them you are ready to schedule an interview?

Thank you so much!

Have a great day!

If he has not already done so, he should fill out and return the forms (DS-230 part 1 (pages 1 and 2), DS-156, DS-156k, DS 157. ) right away so that the Embassy can start processing your paperwork.

Our UK police records took 38 days...so when they say 40 days...they mean it.

Personally we waited until we had everything in hand, I was worried about thing possibly getting lost in the post, or not arriving etc.

07/16/07 posted I-129f

07/20/07 confirmed delivered by US Postal Service

8/23/07 No NOA1 !!!!

8/23/07 phoned USCIS (told they can't help until after 90 days)

8/23/07 contacted bank to get copy of Cx check...illegable...noc WAC#

tried for weeks to get actual check....not possible, had to wait the 90 days for info from USCIS

10/17/07 Phoned USCIS, got thru (!), got WAC number and NOA1 date!!!!

07/26/07 NOA1 (never recieved hard copy, was promised a copy would be sent)

11/01/07 Ordered copy of "long form" UK B.C.

11/05/07 Recieved B.C. (Wish USCIS was that fast!)

11/09/07 Submitted request for UK police records

12/04/07 APPROVED By USCIS NOA2 letter sent (or so they claim)

12/15/07 Police certificate recieved

12/28/07 Called NVC, not in system

01/04/08 petition forwarded to London

01/12/08 packet 3 received *rubs eye in disbelief* Speed and efficiency, can it be?

01/18/08 HARD COPY OF NOA2 ARRIVED...seems the snail made a wrong turn somewhere.

01/28/08 Returned packet 3 to London Embassy

02/12/08 Medical completed...no problem.

02/13/08 Packet 4 received from London Embassy

03/03/08 Embassy Interview

03/06/08 Visa Arrived....Lovely to finally see it even if it is a bit drab...after 8 month you think they'd have sprung for some gold foil or at least a COLOR photo?

TODAY...he's here! He's in the US! Hurrah!

Filed: Country: Wales
Timeline

Hi,

Just to let you know, I returned my P3 to the London Embassy on January 10th, and I received my packet 4 this Friday, the 25th January, and am scheduled for an interview on the 21st February, which I is about a 6 week time lag between returning the P3 and interview. I also got my police report about 30 days after applying for it, and applied for it before Christmas, so it may have taken longer than normal as we have alot of days off during the period over Christmas and New Year, but don't bank on that its just a thought!

I don't really know what you should do. I think you would probably be ok to send it back sooner rather than later, but its your application so I am sure you guys will figure out what will work best for you, but I just thought that recent info on London timeframes might help you.

Good Luck with it all,

Lily

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi,

Just to let you know, I returned my P3 to the London Embassy on January 10th, and I received my packet 4 this Friday, the 25th January, and am scheduled for an interview on the 21st February, which I is about a 6 week time lag between returning the P3 and interview. I also got my police report about 30 days after applying for it, and applied for it before Christmas, so it may have taken longer than normal as we have alot of days off during the period over Christmas and New Year, but don't bank on that its just a thought!

I don't really know what you should do. I think you would probably be ok to send it back sooner rather than later, but its your application so I am sure you guys will figure out what will work best for you, but I just thought that recent info on London timeframes might help you.

Good Luck with it all,

Lily

I'd split the difference and return the P3 materials once you're certain you'll have everything in time. Delayed return means delayed interview means delayed reunion.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I've always wondered about this too.

I've seen people who haven't had their medical yet but they have their interview date.

Do you wait until you've had everything to mail the checklist back or should you get everything you possibly can, book your medical and then send it back?

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

I'm hoping to get my interview date then book the medical for as close to it as I can get so I only need to make one trip to London...

If you have the med after the interview and get approved they just do it pending med results :)

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Timeline
Hello!

Thank you so much!

Have a great day!

Well, I was in a very similar situation and I just sent away the checklist. In fact, I sent away a downloaded copy of the checklist before my packet 3 had even reached me. As far as I was concerned there was no point in waiting. If the necessary documentation (in my case a Police Certificate from South Africa!) had no come int time then the visa would have been (hopefully) approved pending their receipt of it at a later date. As it was, that came in time but as I did my medical the same day my visa was approved pending receipt of that.

Now im stuck in the AOS/EAD qaugmire :-(

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I've always wondered about this too.

I've seen people who haven't had their medical yet but they have their interview date.

Do you wait until you've had everything to mail the checklist back or should you get everything you possibly can, book your medical and then send it back?

The most practical answer will depend on the country and specific circumstances. In China, you need a document from the P4 to present at the medical exam, so all interviews are scheduled before medical are taken. In my wife's case no facility to take the medical even exists in her province, so medical and interview were in the same trip. She stayed in Guangzhou from her Thursday morning arrival and medical exam until the Thursday pick-up of the visa after a Tuesday interview. P3 was returned in late May stating all documents were in hand, but in reality the police report takes three weeks, so it hadn't even been requested yet. It was in hand before the P4 arrived, six weeks before the interview.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Hello!

Thank you so much!

Have a great day!

If he has not already done so, he should fill out and return the forms (DS-230 part 1 (pages 1 and 2), DS-156, DS-156k, DS 157. ) right away so that the Embassy can start processing your paperwork.

Our UK police records took 38 days...so when they say 40 days...they mean it.

Personally we waited until we had everything in hand, I was worried about thing possibly getting lost in the post, or not arriving etc.

so is he supposed to send back those forms before the interview? when I talked to him, he thought that he just sent back the checklist and then brought everything to the interview.

Thanks for you help!

Hi,

Good Luck with it all,

Lily

Thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Timeline

so is he supposed to send back those forms before the interview? when I talked to him, he thought that he just sent back the checklist and then brought everything to the interview.

Thanks for you help!

Yes, he MUST send those forms to the Embassy, they need to process them BEFORE the interview.

I realize you probably have not seen packet 3 yourself so I listed the info below. It says the forms can be downloaded, I don't know what they are on about, we had to fill them in online and print them, they could not be saved. We then scanned them for our records and we also made photocopies of EVERYTHING we sent back to the Embassy (mainly for our own peace of mind should we have any middle of the night panics :o ie: DID I FORGET TO TICK THAT BOX???? :unsure: )

In the packet 3 instructions steps 1-4 are listed.

Step 1 says:

"Please complete and return the following forms to us straight away. Failure to do so will delay the processing of your application. They can all be found on the Embassy's website...and should be completed online and downloaded"

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/.../visaforms.html

The forms they are refer to are:

DS-230 Part 1 (pages 1 and 2 only)

DS-156 IN DUPLICATE and DO NOT sign the forms (be sure to print out at least 2 copies!)

DS-156K

DS-157

(BTW the check list is form DS-2001, it is NOT listed in Step 1)

Step 2

Collect all your documents (bring originals and 2 photocopies of each document to your interview)

[size=5]Step 3[/size]

Schedule your medical (you do not need to wait for all your documents to do this)

Step 4

Complete and return this document check list to us so that we know you are ready to be called for your visa interview.

(for some reason they ask for both DS-2001 and the first 4 pages of the instructions both are check lists and although it seemed redundant we sent back both...I have sense read that some people do not get DS-2001 in their packet...if you did not get it don't worry...you can get it online @ the link above. You will not get packet 4 (ie: your interview) until you return the check list (DS-2001) so do not forget to send it in.)

All the best! :star:

07/16/07 posted I-129f

07/20/07 confirmed delivered by US Postal Service

8/23/07 No NOA1 !!!!

8/23/07 phoned USCIS (told they can't help until after 90 days)

8/23/07 contacted bank to get copy of Cx check...illegable...noc WAC#

tried for weeks to get actual check....not possible, had to wait the 90 days for info from USCIS

10/17/07 Phoned USCIS, got thru (!), got WAC number and NOA1 date!!!!

07/26/07 NOA1 (never recieved hard copy, was promised a copy would be sent)

11/01/07 Ordered copy of "long form" UK B.C.

11/05/07 Recieved B.C. (Wish USCIS was that fast!)

11/09/07 Submitted request for UK police records

12/04/07 APPROVED By USCIS NOA2 letter sent (or so they claim)

12/15/07 Police certificate recieved

12/28/07 Called NVC, not in system

01/04/08 petition forwarded to London

01/12/08 packet 3 received *rubs eye in disbelief* Speed and efficiency, can it be?

01/18/08 HARD COPY OF NOA2 ARRIVED...seems the snail made a wrong turn somewhere.

01/28/08 Returned packet 3 to London Embassy

02/12/08 Medical completed...no problem.

02/13/08 Packet 4 received from London Embassy

03/03/08 Embassy Interview

03/06/08 Visa Arrived....Lovely to finally see it even if it is a bit drab...after 8 month you think they'd have sprung for some gold foil or at least a COLOR photo?

TODAY...he's here! He's in the US! Hurrah!

Timeline

Thanks for you help!

Yes, he MUST send those forms to the Embassy, they need to process them BEFORE the interview.

I realize you probably have not seen packet 3 yourself so I listed the info below. It says the forms can be downloaded, I don't know what they are on about, we had to fill them in online and print them, they could not be saved. We then scanned them for our records and we also made photocopies of EVERYTHING we sent back to the Embassy (mainly for our own peace of mind should we have any middle of the night panics :o ie: DID I FORGET TO TICK THAT BOX???? :unsure: )

In the packet 3 instructions steps 1-4 are listed.

Step 1 says:

"Please complete and return the following forms to us straight away. Failure to do so will delay the processing of your application. They can all be found on the Embassy's website...and should be completed online and downloaded"

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/.../visaforms.html

The forms they are refer to are:

DS-230 Part 1 (pages 1 and 2 only)

DS-156 IN DUPLICATE and DO NOT sign the forms (be sure to print out at least 2 copies!)

DS-156K

DS-157

(BTW the check list is form DS-2001, it is NOT listed in Step 1)

Step 2

Collect all your documents (bring originals and 2 photocopies of each document to your interview)

[size=5]Step 3[/size]

Schedule your medical (you do not need to wait for all your documents to do this)

Step 4

Complete and return this document check list to us so that we know you are ready to be called for your visa interview.

(for some reason they ask for both DS-2001 and the first 4 pages of the instructions both are check lists and although it seemed redundant we sent back both...I have sense read that some people do not get DS-2001 in their packet...if you did not get it don't worry...you can get it online @ the link above. You will not get packet 4 (ie: your interview) until you return the check list (DS-2001) so do not forget to send it in.)

All the best! :star:

Thank you so much! That is really helpful. It was hard because I hadn't seen it myself, so now I'll talk to him with this information and hopefully we can get it all figured out :)

Good luck with everything for you guys, I hope the interview goes well!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.