shikarnov

OT: Russian Language Lessons

120 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

For all you guys who say getting Russian tutoring is a waste of time, you're just not doing it right. From my lesson last night:

Me: Olga, do you know what a Russian pirate's favorite food is?

Olga: No.

Me: YARRRRRR-bla-kah!

Olga: [Confused, slightly nervous look]

Apparently Pirate jokes don't translate well to Russian. Their loss.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

:lol: :lol: :lol:

For all you guys who say getting Russian tutoring is a waste of time, you're just not doing it right. From my lesson last night:

Me: Olga, do you know what a Russian pirate's favorite food is?

Olga: No.

Me: YARRRRRR-bla-kah!

Olga: [Confused, slightly nervous look]

Apparently Pirate jokes don't translate well to Russian. Their loss.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

She's going to have to start charging you more.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Anyone (ekee maybe?) have a good online resource for learning (and bonus, retaining) Russian cases? I'm having the worst time keeping it all straight.

I found something on another message board that is pretty informative. Here is the best that I can do:

(the) verb is the action word of the sentence. It expresses the action of the sentence. Ex., I see, know, hear, go, etc. я вижу, знаю, слышу, хожу.

(the) adverb modifies the action of the verb somehow and normally in Russian precedes the verb. I badly understand. я плохо понимаю.

(the) subject answers to question who/кто or what/что is doing the action. It is found in the nominative case or "name" case.

(the) possession of someone or something is found in the genitive case and answers the question of whom/кого or of what/чего.

(the) indirect object of the verb is indirectly affected by the action of the verb. It is found in the dative case and is usually answers the question to/for whom/кому or to/for what/чему.

(the) direct object of the verb is directly affected by the verb and is found in the accusative case and answers the question whom/кого or what/что.

(the) instrumental case shows the instrument or manner the action of the verb is accomplished and answers the question by/with whom/кем or by means of/with what/чем.

(the) prepositional case is the case of place/location and answers the question about/concerning/where of someone/о ком or something/о чем. This case usage is never without a preposition. Remember this case answers the question where/где.

Hope that helps ya mox.

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

and here is another i thought of mox. It has helped me from time to time:

An online reference for Russian grammar

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Don't forget that genitive also shows non-existence: u nac net nichego. You also have to know things which are different in russian: in russian, you "call to" someone and "help to" someone: the person you are calling or helping will be in the dative, not the accusative as an english speaker might expect. There are lots of other special uses governed by certain verbs and prepositions.

All of the cases have many more uses than shown here... I like a book called (i think) russian grammar by nicholas maltzoff as my quick reference.

Anyone (ekee maybe?) have a good online resource for learning (and bonus, retaining) Russian cases? I'm having the worst time keeping it all straight.

I found something on another message board that is pretty informative. Here is the best that I can do:

(the) verb is the action word of the sentence. It expresses the action of the sentence. Ex., I see, know, hear, go, etc. ? ????, ????, ?????, ????.

(the) adverb modifies the action of the verb somehow and normally in Russian precedes the verb. I badly understand. ? ????? ???????.

(the) subject answers to question who/??? or what/??? is doing the action. It is found in the nominative case or "name" case.

(the) possession of someone or something is found in the genitive case and answers the question of whom/???? or of what/????.

(the) indirect object of the verb is indirectly affected by the action of the verb. It is found in the dative case and is usually answers the question to/for whom/???? or to/for what/????.

(the) direct object of the verb is directly affected by the verb and is found in the accusative case and answers the question whom/???? or what/???.

(the) instrumental case shows the instrument or manner the action of the verb is accomplished and answers the question by/with whom/??? or by means of/with what/???.

(the) prepositional case is the case of place/location and answers the question about/concerning/where of someone/? ??? or something/? ???. This case usage is never without a preposition. Remember this case answers the question where/???.

Hope that helps ya mox.

Первый блин комом.

the person you are calling or helping will be in the dative, not the accusative as an english speaker might expect.

This is where I have to start paying attention. My Latin training kicks in pretty normally with the accusative but I have to retrain it into the dative.

Usually I just kind of slur the endings and it works just fine. Try that next time. ooh and ah sound a lot alike when you have a Twix in your mouth.

"Ya poshla magazinaauuhhhmmmmmcrunchuuamchomuuuah."

They get the picture.

The same works for guy/girl stuff. If I had time to change the a to an o or l or whatever, I'd never get to eat my Twix.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline
Usually I just kind of slur the endings and it works just fine. Try that next time. ooh and ah sound a lot alike when you have a Twix in your mouth.

"Ya poshla magazinaauuhhhmmmmmcrunchuuamchomuuuah."

My tutor's wise to this trick now. I got away with it a couple times but now I get the famous eyebrow arch that we've all seen and withered under. I can still fake the occasional -oo vs -yoo, but mostly I get "eeeenncorrrect."

So believe it or not, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Russian" has a pretty good section on cases. I resisted buying this book for ages because of the title, but eventually broke down and then never opened it until a couple days ago. Overall it's mediocre, but the section on case got me jump started. Maybe "The Total Fucktard's Guide to Russian will have an even better section..." :)

Oh...and just wanted to add that the further I get into this, the more I realize what a load of ####### Rosetta Stone is. It's not just overpriced, I'm seeing that it actually has disadvantaged me to an extent. I'm constantly "un-learning" things.

Edited by mox

Maybe "The Total Fucktard's Guide to Russian will have an even better section..." :)

Oh...and just wanted to add that the further I get into this, the more I realize what a load of ####### Rosetta Stone is. It's not just overpriced, I'm seeing that it actually has disadvantaged me to an extent. I'm constantly "un-learning" things.

As soon as you write it, I'll buy a copy!

I see a lot of people who are "above" things like the idiots guides (or fucktards guides, what-have-you) and are unwilling to utilize good resources because they feel like they're being looked down upon for doing them. I've tried for years to get my buddies to read children's books in foreign languages and they just won't do it. I don't know why... maybe because they're fucktards? Anyway though, when you're trying to learn from a base of nothing, you need to start with the simplest stuff and work your way up.

And on the "un-learning" things, there's no substitute for first-hand knowledge. Or for paying hundreds of dollars for a training program used by the U.S. Army, the State Department, etc. We all see how efficiently their operators work, huh?

"FACE TOWARD ENEMY"

Русский форум член.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Fucktard... :lol:

I think you just like saying "fucktard," slim. :lol:

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

It's a good word. Do I have to give you credit when I use it?

Русский форум член.

See! Online gaming is good for something.

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.