shikarnov

OT: Russian Language Lessons

120 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi All,

This is completely off topic, but I figured that, since it pertains directly to Russian, you'd all be the proper audience.

My Russian преподаватель, who is currently working as part of an exchange program in China, will be returning to Russia this summer. Being a marketing professional, and a capitalist at heart, I've been discussing the idea of promoting her language lessons over here (she already has a few customers that she handles over the net)...

Anyway, my question is this: for a course that includes access to library of language materials, weekly one-on-one (Skype) classes with a преподаватель that has taught the Russian language to thousands of foreign students from all over the world, plus exercises that support a unique teaching method that she devised -- how much would you pay?

Right now, we're thinking about $150/month for weekly lessons plus website access, and $200 for twice-weekly, plus website. Do you think that's spot on? Too much? too little?

Thanks in advance

Z

Edited by shikarnov

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
This is completely off topic, but I figured that, since it pertains directly to Russian, you'd all be the proper audience.

Not off-topic at all. At least not here, where a thread about wedding rings can turn into a thread about the best recipe for free-range armadillos. :D

Right now, we're thinking about $150/month for weekly lessons plus website access, and $200 for twice-weekly, plus website. Do you think that's spot on? Too much? too little?

First of all, I would *so* do something like this if I could afford it. I personally think that you're very close to the ballpark with these numbers, but it's not something I could financially pull off. Which sucks, because it sounds like a really good idea. $150/month for basically 4 lessons a month might be a little steep, but $200/month for basically 8 lessons a month is reasonable imho. That breaks down to about $25/hour, which is a little better than private instruction.

This is assuming of course that there would be some minimal level of interaction with the professor, and some minimal level of interaction with other students. If it was just lecture over Skype with no interaction, I'm not sure it would be too much better than say Rosetta Stone, other than the obvious differences in methodology.

My Russian vocabulary is growing faster than I thought it would (I think I could probably come up with about 350-500 words if pressed), but what I'm dying for is someone to interact with routinely, because my mechanical skills suck. I get to speak with Nadya of course, and she's always impressed with my progress, but I don't like to spend what little time I have with her trying purchase four cups of coffee, please. :) Even a Skype-based classroom where you could pair off with students would easily make $200 twice-weekly course worth paying for.

Timeline

I'm not so sure a Skype based classroom with multiple students would work, considering there'd be no way for the instructor to moderate. But your point is well taken about interaction. Perhaps there should be a some kind of social aspect to the program - a private BBS or AJAX Chat system embedded to allow students to interact, connect, and setup contact profiles...

Pondering...

Z

Edited by shikarnov

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm waiting-!!! :lol:

Not off-topic at all. At least not here, where a thread about wedding rings can turn into a thread about the best recipe for free-range armadillos. :D

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline
I'm waiting-!!! :lol:

Hahaha. Here it goes again!! :lol:

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

I think I'm biased here because I just can't see myself paying that much cash for "not" getting face time with a teacher and other students.

Sure, web-based learning has really taken off and teacher/pupil interaction is possible over the net but for $150-$200/month, it's possible to hire a private tutor that's actually willing to do one-on-one instruction. Or, to go on dates with a real Russian girl! (Which has been my preferred method in the past.)

College courses are around that price as well.

If it's a good system and there's some kind of way to "sell" people like me on the idea, sure, it's probably not that much money. But I just can't help but to add up all those $200 fees and imagine myself sitting in Red Square drinking a beer..... all for the same price.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Two points:

(1) the VJ admin team will probably kill this thread for TOS violations because of advertisement / solicitation

(2) My wife charges just $15 an hour for in person lessons if you are in the Davis, CA area, yeah, we moved a few months ago. If that helps any in terms of comparison.

Two points:

(1) the VJ admin team will probably kill this thread for TOS violations because of advertisement / solicitation

Well I'd hope the VJ team are smart enough to realize it's not really advertising. If someone were to show up with a brand spanking new profile that we'd never seen before, that would be one thing. But from an established member I think it's fine. (I think you're in agreement, just wanted to throw it out there.)

(2) My wife charges just $15 an hour for in person lessons if you are in the Davis, CA area, yeah, we moved a few months ago. If that helps any in terms of comparison.

Dang, you guys are only a 2-hour drive from me. Shoot. If you were just a *little* closer.

I have a private tutor who does 1 on 1 with me via skype, and I pay $20 per lesson. Each lesson is 1 hour. So, I think your prices are a little high because now I pay $160/month and I get 8 lessons plus all materials from the course at МГУ. I would only get 25% of that at the same price with what you are proposing.

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ahhh! That's all! :cry:

(Chicken fried. 'Nuff said.)

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline

I know in the northeast, I've seen a few schools that offer Russian language instruction, and most are charging upwards of $400/month for one weekly hour-long lesson, plus books. I've also seen some private tutors, and have worked with some on the Internet, and while they surely know Russian, most that I've encountered don't have a great deal of experience teaching.

I think the main selling point would probably be the fact that this is a highly experienced woman who has literally taught thousands of foreign students from a variety of countries how to speak the Russian language. Teaching Russian isn't a side-gig for her -- it's her career. She's been refining her method over a number of years, and is a doctoral candidate in this field. I was pretty impressed by those credentials when I came across her, and her experience and quick thinking was very valuable to me (a non-traditional learner), and I think that'll translate well to the market.

For those of you who suggested that $200/month ($25/lesson) was too much for a program that doesn't involve direct, sitting-at-your-table, face time, what else would you be looking for to justify the cost... besides the things already being discussed (a private online library of documents, stories, tools, guides, chat, etc) ?

I have a private tutor who does 1 on 1 with me via skype, and I pay $20 per lesson. Each lesson is 1 hour. So, I think your prices are a little high because now I pay $160/month and I get 8 lessons plus all materials from the course at МГУ. I would only get 25% of that at the same price with what you are proposing.

Hmm. Well, the $150 would probably give you half the Skype time, I admit. But for $40 more, you'd get the same 8 Skype lessons, plus all the materials being considered come from a variety of sources, both privately developed, and those used in various universities including МГУ -- to say nothing about the community that students will become a part of, and anything else that gets thought up. Anyway, this is all kind of fact finding and there isn't anything setup yet (online). So, I do appreciate the input.

As for the admins shutting this down - I checked the TOS in advance, and this isn't advertising in any way. It's not like I'm saying, "Hey! Russian Lessons here, $25/pop plus X, Y, and Z! Check it out at nowhere.com!".... And the thread is appropriately labeled as Off Topic. But, if it is in violation of the TOS, I'll take the wrap, and apologize for disrupting the forum.

Z

Edited by shikarnov

Timeline

Hmmmm. Well, I don't know about any of you, but I'll be getting all of my Russian language lessons for free. :D And I have a professional linguist as my teacher. Oh, and she's gorgeous also.. ;)

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Hmmmm. Well, I don't know about any of you, but I'll be getting all of my Russian language lessons for free. :D And I have a professional linguist as my teacher. Oh, and she's gorgeous also.. ;)

Your lucky, my girls only a lawyer :devil:

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Well, the additional "benefits" might be worth it, but I'm pretty sure those lessons won't be free. You will pay. Oh yes you will. :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.