shikarnov

OT: Russian Language Lessons

120 posts in this topic

Hmmmm. Well, I don't know about any of you, but I'll be getting all of my Russian language lessons for free. :D And I have a professional linguist as my teacher. Oh, and she's gorgeous also.. ;)

Well, the additional "benefits" might be worth it, but I'm pretty sure those lessons won't be free. You will pay. Oh yes you will. :D

:lol: That $250/month is starting to sound like a bargain.

I was reading the above posts like, "yeah, Jason knows what I'm talking about." And then mox stole our thunder with that last one and drove home the reality of "home tutoring" from the S/O. I don't think I could even assign a value to it; it's priceless! (And when I say priceless, I don't mean it's something money can't buy, I mean the price keeps going up and up and up and up and up and up and before you know it, there's no way you can count how much you've spent on your lessons.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Ahhh! That's all! :cry:

(Chicken fried. 'Nuff said.)

The range of options to learn Russian in the USA is good...junior colleges are reasonable with professional teachers and you have multiple lessons weekly with the benefit of having fellow students to talk practice with. Many metro area county governments offer continuing education classes in languages for cheap also (maybe around $125-$150 total for 2 classes weekly for 10-14 weeks). I would think Skype is a weaker option as there are always internet problems in Russia and the web cam images are slow and fuzzy as a rule.

Filed: Timeline

Good timing on resurrecting this thread.

I've been in contact with a Russian woman in the area who wants to start teaching Russian. She has a teaching degree and is charging $15 per lesson/hour. I'm having coffee with her this evening so we can work out a lesson plan, I'll let everyone know how it goes. $15 seems like a pretty good rate, we'll see.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hope Nadya's not the jealous type! :whistle:

I've been in contact with a Russian woman in the area who wants to start teaching Russian. She has a teaching degree and is charging $15 per lesson/hour. I'm having coffee with her this evening so we can work out a lesson plan, I'll let everyone know how it goes. $15 seems like a pretty good rate, we'll see.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Timeline

I kinda hope she is...a little. :lol:

I told her about this woman (Lena) and Nadya was very encouraging. Still, I'm waiting for the "she is beautiful woman?" question to come up. I know it will. It's got to be killing her not knowing. :lol: (And I haven't even met the woman in person yet, although she sounds young'ish.)

Timeline

EXACTLY, my thoughts. :lol: If I told Alla I was pursuing this idea, first would be, "Jeffery, she beautiful girl?" followed by, "She young girl?" and then... well, let's say, she'd encourage me to wait for her to teach me more. :lol: My Alla is quite jealous.

I kinda hope she is...a little. :lol:

I told her about this woman (Lena) and Nadya was very encouraging. Still, I'm waiting for the "she is beautiful woman?" question to come up. I know it will. It's got to be killing her not knowing. :lol: (And I haven't even met the woman in person yet, although she sounds young'ish.)

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Thats a good rate Mox. I pay $20 per lesson/hour now for Lessons over Skype. As for the Skype option, my teacher lives here in the US, so there is no problems with internet.

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Same rate my wife is charging her "clients" - folks like you...here at UC Davis. See it can be found. Edited by Satellite

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

fyi....My ex-wife gets $25/hour for private tutoring. She's teaching English to Russian teenagers that have been adopted by American families. It's surprising how many of these kids are around here (and continuing to arrive).

fyi....My ex-wife gets $25/hour for private tutoring. She's teaching English to Russian teenagers that have been adopted by American families. It's surprising how many of these kids are around here (and continuing to arrive).

Is she going to teach your new wife?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Is she going to teach your new wife?

Of course....why not? ;)

My fiancee teaches English at a university, and also does private tutoring for English. While I thought that my ex-wife's English was nearly impeccable, I believe that Tania's is even better. Language is not an issue for us.

I have never seen anyone's relationship have serious problems over the so-called language "barrier" that everyone makes it out to be.

It's usually because of problems between the way men and women speak, not the language they happen to be speaking in.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

I agree Slim, when I first met Alla, in person, back in 2004 her English was horrible and all I could say was Да & Нет. We could still read each other with many other forms of communication. Now in 2008, her English is around 90% and my Russian maybe 50-60%. We joke how we fully understood each other back then just with the right intonation and body language. And think about it. Can a man understand and fall in love with a deaf girl? Actions will always speak louder than words in many situations.

I have never seen anyone's relationship have serious problems over the so-called language "barrier" that everyone makes it out to be.

It's usually because of problems between the way men and women speak, not the language they happen to be speaking in.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Can a man understand and fall in love with a deaf girl? Actions will always speak louder than words in many situations.

Did you guys know that deaf people here use American Sign Language but in other countries, they have different sign languages too? Until I met some foreign deaf people I was under the impression all deaf people communicated with the same hand signals and gestures. NOPE!

So even deaf people are going to have a "barrier" to overcome when meeting new foreigners!

I tell all my buddies here, "you and your girl both speak fluent English and yet you still have problems and issues. Why should we be any different? The language issues are actually the most minute of any problems and are usually 'fun' to work through... it's all the other BS that makes it tough."

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.