shikarnov

OT: Russian Language Lessons

120 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
We always use the verb кушать for eating. Maybe it's a local thing. I never heard anyone use есть in Kazan' to say they eat.

У Нины есть дети. "Nina eats children" would be Нина ест детей, because children are animate. Although now that I think about it, if they were eaten they wouldn't be animate for long. :lol:

I hate the verb есть in the sense of "to eat"... i always forget how to conjugate it.

Кушать is like kid-speak. It's a familiar term for eating. So it's what moms use for their kids, wives for their husbands, etc. Anybody who has ever lived with a babushka has been chased around by one going "Куши! Куши!" and has nightmares about it. Generally if you need to address someone на вы, you wouldn't use кушать. Whereas есть is just the general verb for eating and turns into cъесть (ate everything on your plate ) наесться (ate too much) etc.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Кушать is like kid-speak. It's a familiar term for eating. So it's what moms use for their kids, wives for their husbands, etc. Anybody who has ever lived with a babushka has been chased around by one going "Куши! Куши!" and has nightmares about it. Generally if you need to address someone на вы, you wouldn't use кушать. Whereas есть is just the general verb for eating and turns into cъесть (ate everything on your plate ) наесться (ate too much) etc.

The verb "to eat" is "ест," isn't it? At least, that's how I understood where my confusion lay. Isn't "есть," some form of "to have?"

What made Olga laugh is that the sentence was supposed to be "Nina has children," but I read it as "Nina eats children" because I didn't realize the мягкий знак makes it a completely different word.

Timeline

The verb "to eat" is "ест," isn't it? At least, that's how I understood where my confusion lay. Isn't "есть," some form of "to have?"

What made Olga laugh is that the sentence was supposed to be "Nina has children," but I read it as "Nina eats children" because I didn't realize the мягкий знак makes it a completely different word.

ест is the 3rd person singular form of the verb есть, to eat. Я ем, ты ешь, он/она ест, мы едем, вы едете, они едят. Есть is also another verb, which only exists in the infinitive (or суть in они, but i've never been clear on how to use суть as you can also use есть) which emphasizes the existence of something. У меня есть машина. I have a car and this car is real and exists. В магазине есть помидоры. In the store there are tomatoes, which are real and can be purchased for eating. So the negative is У меня нет машины, в магазине нет помидоров--No car exists which I own, there are no tomatoes in the store. So есть is to eat AND this special verb that emphasizes existence. In the past and future есть is выл/о/а and будет, so it's kind of considered a form of быть, linguistically.

I've heard rosetta stone only teaches the third person singular present tense form of a verb, which is pretty silly IMO, especially for russian. For that kind of money i want every conjugation and aspect!

There is also a different word to have, иметь, but it can only be used in very certain situations. Like if you said Я имею машину, it would sound to a russian speaker like you have sexual relations with your car. So stick to the у меня есть construction.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Interesting! Every occasion I attended everyone used кушать whether adult to adult or with children. Of course it was always with friends and family. I never ate with any one we were вы terms with. Probably explains a lot. :lol:

We always use the verb кушать for eating. Maybe it's a local thing. I never heard anyone use есть in Kazan' to say they eat.

У Нины есть дети. "Nina eats children" would be Нина ест детей, because children are animate. Although now that I think about it, if they were eaten they wouldn't be animate for long. :lol:

I hate the verb есть in the sense of "to eat"... i always forget how to conjugate it.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline

yeah, if you're on close terms with someone i'd imagine they'd use кушать. If Alla used to есть with you, it might means she was mad. :lol:

And Russian moms will ALWAYS use кушать for their kids, ESPECIALLY the male ones, no matter how old they get! Sons never lose their ребенок status and their moms will always be concerned that they кушает enough.

Interesting! Every occasion I attended everyone used кушать whether adult to adult or with children. Of course it was always with friends and family. I never ate with any one we were вы terms with. Probably explains a lot. :lol:

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

100% agree! :lol:

yeah, if you're on close terms with someone i'd imagine they'd use кушать. If Alla used to есть with you, it might means she was mad. :lol:

And Russian moms will ALWAYS use кушать for their kids, ESPECIALLY the male ones, no matter how old they get!

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

I realize the enthusiasm and excitement for learning spoken and written Russian, but to be quite honest, I think spending thousands of dollars on it is a bit overboard.

Spending a few hundred bucks may be justified, but learning it to the point of being able to write college papers simply to "better understand your wife and her culture" is a waste of money.

If you're going to move to Russia someday or consider working in a Russian field, sure, it's money well spent. But for the average "I found this chick on the internet and now she's moving here to marry me" VJ relationship, it's unnecessary. I think this is what seanconneryii was alluding to in the other thread. When you live in the U.S., and are going to for the remainder of your lives, learning Russian to the degree that your savvy at identifying tenses and case endings is way overkill.

Now, that said, I envy all of you for being more knowledgeable than I. However, I think after a year or two of being married, you may not be able to straight up identify all of the above, but you will at least be able to understand most of it... for free.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
I realize the enthusiasm and excitement for learning spoken and written Russian, but to be quite honest, I think spending thousands of dollars on it is a bit overboard.

Spending a few hundred bucks may be justified, but learning it to the point of being able to write college papers simply to "better understand your wife and her culture" is a waste of money.

If you're going to move to Russia someday or consider working in a Russian field, sure, it's money well spent. But for the average "I found this chick on the internet and now she's moving here to marry me" VJ relationship, it's unnecessary. I think this is what seanconneryii was alluding to in the other thread. When you live in the U.S., and are going to for the remainder of your lives, learning Russian to the degree that your savvy at identifying tenses and case endings is way overkill.

Now, that said, I envy all of you for being more knowledgeable than I. However, I think after a year or two of being married, you may not be able to straight up identify all of the above, but you will at least be able to understand most of it... for free.

As I said earlier, i think that you if want your kids to be completely bilingual, it's very hard when one parent doesn't speak the language. I didn't grow up bilingual myself for this very reason, even though my mom's a native speaker of Belarusian. A lot of kids don't see why they should have to function in two languages if dad only has to speak in english.

Первый блин комом.

Agreed. My goal is to be proficient enough to speak "well enough" to be understood, and to understand simple conversations.

learning Russian to the degree that your savvy at identifying tenses and case endings is way overkill.

Yeah but learning to crawl before you can--in my case--crawl a little bit faster means working through tenses and the like. When I took German in college it was the same way. There are a boatload of rules of the road you have to learn before you can really even get to the point of understanding simple sentences. Otherwise all you're really doing is memorizing a bunch of phrases like codes. Which is fine if all you need to do is learn some codes, but it's not very good when you need to be able to stumble your way through getting an idea across to someone else.

Edited by mox

A lot of kids don't see why they should have to function in two languages if dad only has to speak in english.

And that's where dad has to be functional in the other language as well. Sure, he may not be fluent to the point the kids could be, but he can at least acknowledge and relate to mom in the "foreign" language. There's really no need for schooling to do that. Only a few years of "happiness" together.

crawl a little bit faster means working through tenses and the like. When I took German in college it was the same way. There are a boatload of rules of the road you have to learn before you can really even get to the point of understanding simple sentences.

Not really. Understanding words and phrases will enable you to "decode" the combinations. You will "learn" the rules eventually based on how you group them in your mind based on the "English" way that you remember them.

Remember the target is communication, not fluency. If you're strictly trying to communicate more effectively with your S/O then knowing specialized words and phrases is going to be way more important than knowing conjugations and tenses because you're really only going to use a few simple ones all the time. The rest you'll kind of just pick up by hearing.

Basically, all I'm trying to say is don't stress the language issue too much. Within a year or two you'll understand WAY more Russian than you give yourself credit for now.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
A lot of kids don't see why they should have to function in two languages if dad only has to speak in english.

And that's where dad has to be functional in the other language as well. Sure, he may not be fluent to the point the kids could be, but he can at least acknowledge and relate to mom in the "foreign" language. There's really no need for schooling to do that. Only a few years of "happiness" together.

crawl a little bit faster means working through tenses and the like. When I took German in college it was the same way. There are a boatload of rules of the road you have to learn before you can really even get to the point of understanding simple sentences.

Not really. Understanding words and phrases will enable you to "decode" the combinations. You will "learn" the rules eventually based on how you group them in your mind based on the "English" way that you remember them.

Remember the target is communication, not fluency. If you're strictly trying to communicate more effectively with your S/O then knowing specialized words and phrases is going to be way more important than knowing conjugations and tenses because you're really only going to use a few simple ones all the time. The rest you'll kind of just pick up by hearing.

Basically, all I'm trying to say is don't stress the language issue too much. Within a year or two you'll understand WAY more Russian than you give yourself credit for now.

From the Russians I know who live in their US, it's incredibly hard to keep the kids motivated to continue to speak the language. A lof of parents will speak to the kids in Russian, and the kids will reply in English. And that's with both parents being Russian and speaking entirely in Russian at home. It's something that seems to be really hard to motivate kids to do, and if dad can only say phrases like, "I love you" and "Look at my helicopter!", I'd imagine it's even tougher. And hearing improper Russian would also confuse a child as to what is correct.

If you only know phrases, it's hard to produce any "original" sentences. You may think you're saying something correctly, but you're probably just using a ton of calques from English and your SO understands you, but it's not correct. There just isn't a way of getting around formally learning the rules if you want to actually be able to communicate in any sort of meaningful way.

For some people the target is communication on a very basic level, but for me it definitely is fluency. My study of Russian predates my relationship, not the other way around.

Первый блин комом.

It's something that seems to be really hard to motivate kids to do, and if dad can only say phrases like, "I love you" and "Look at my helicopter!", I'd imagine it's even tougher. And hearing improper Russian would also confuse a child as to what is correct.

There just isn't a way of getting around formally learning the rules if you want to actually be able to communicate in any sort of meaningful way.

For some people the target is communication on a very basic level, but for me it definitely is fluency. My study of Russian predates my relationship, not the other way around.

Which is why your communications focus is different from mine and uses a different approach. To actually have a meaningful sort of communication the only requirement is the two people involved understand the intent of the other. Me saying "I love you" or "Look at my helcopter!" is fine for me and my wife. Now that her sister is here, sure, it's not working so well to communicate with her. (That's a completely different issue... probably not one for VJ ears, I'm sure.) However, utilizing what I've learned to use with my wife, it is possible to communicate with her sister. Not to the same degree of meaningfulness, sure, but basic communication works just fine.

As far as getting the kids to use both, the only thing I can really see is to teach it from an early age and then use it as much as possible.

Русский форум член.

Now that her sister is here, sure, it's not working so well to communicate with her. (That's a completely different issue... probably not one for VJ ears, I'm sure.) However, utilizing what I've learned to use with my wife, it is possible to communicate with her sister. Not to the same degree of meaningfulness, sure, but basic communication works just fine.

Which is exactly why I'd like to have more than just a passing acquaintance with the language. I don't want to be able to just communicate with the wife (which we do pretty well even with my limited amount of pidgin Russian anyway), but I'd like to be able to communicate with her family. Again, I have no interest in being able to write dissertations or even read Pushkin in the original. But I do want to be able to hold a conversation with her family.

I think everyone just needs to decide on their priorities. Slim, it sounds like you and the wife are comfortable with your level of understanding, so that works for you. Nadya is probably comfortable with my level of understanding, but I'm not. And I gotta be honest...I'm really enjoy learning the language, just because of the mental workout I'm getting. So the money and time I'm spending isn't even an issue.

Timeline

I know the feeling Kirk. Although Alla accepts my level of Russian communication as acceptable. She is in the minority. Her mother is always saying, "Teach Jeffery more!" My future MIL & FIL would like to speak to me on occasion sans interpreter. Further, as Alla has a young son, I sometimes worry what would happen if Alla were out and unreachable. If he were to have an issue and, in a panic, only be able to communicate his needs in Russian, I need to understand quickly if this a life or death situation or just some minor mishap. This is my motivation to increase my knowledge to far, far beyond Как дела? "Хорошо!" :yes:

Now that her sister is here, sure, it's not working so well to communicate with her. (That's a completely different issue... probably not one for VJ ears, I'm sure.) However, utilizing what I've learned to use with my wife, it is possible to communicate with her sister. Not to the same degree of meaningfulness, sure, but basic communication works just fine.

Which is exactly why I'd like to have more than just a passing acquaintance with the language. I don't want to be able to just communicate with the wife (which we do pretty well even with my limited amount of pidgin Russian anyway), but I'd like to be able to communicate with her family. Again, I have no interest in being able to write dissertations or even read Pushkin in the original. But I do want to be able to hold a conversation with her family.

I think everyone just needs to decide on their priorities. Slim, it sounds like you and the wife are comfortable with your level of understanding, so that works for you. Nadya is probably comfortable with my level of understanding, but I'm not. And I gotta be honest...I'm really enjoy learning the language, just because of the mental workout I'm getting. So the money and time I'm spending isn't even an issue.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.