JamalNTam

Expidited citizenship for military spouses?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
I didn't read the whole thread so this might be useless, but awhile ago USCIS opened a dedicated help line for military people (but if they are reliable like the other 1-800 nr then Lord help us)....Anyway here it is:

1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-2474645)

misterscn where in Italy are you guys moving to? If you don't mind me asking... :star:

I have accepted a transfer to Vicenza, Italy within my organization. I have been there many times on business and I like the area.

I'm from Italy (Milan) and actually my husband is trying to land a job for Vicenza as well!! We'll have to keep in touch if you guys want :star:

U.S. CITIZEN SINCE MAY 8TH 2008

NATURALIZATION

28th july 2007 - N-400 mailed to VSC

(exactly on the 90th day mark...applications NOT returned although some scared me into thinking they could have!)

30th july 2007 - N-400 delivered to VSC

11th august 2007 - Delivery Confirmation receipt received

17th september 2007 - Money Order (FINALLY!) cashed

9th november 2007 - NOA! (notification period given 180 days)

21th november 2007 - Biometrics appointment letter

18th december 2007 - Biometrics appointment in Baltimore, MD completed

29th march 2008 - FINALLY received letter with interview date!

8th may 2008 H 8:40 AM - Interview in Baltimore-APPROVED!

8th may 2008 H 3:00 pm (yes same day, crazy!) Oath Ceremony in Baltimore

24th may 2008 - US Passport application mailed off

6th june 2008 - US Passport received in the mail!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I really wish I had found this thread a month ago. I work for the DOD in Sicily and just sent in the paperwork and fee for my husband's 10 year greencard at the beginning of March. No one at the Legal Office even mentioned this option when we went in for advice. I'm assuming we can still apply for expedited citizenship even though the I-751 is still processing right?

Misterscn, your info is so incredibly helpful!!

Do any of you know if my husband needs Advance Parole to stay out of the US for more than a year, even though, from what I've read, the base is considered US soil? It will be a year in May since he's been back to the States.

Thanks.

07-16-04 Mailed I-129

07-22-04 NOA1

03-14-05 Interview 235 days later!!!

05-03-05 Embassy calls to request his passport for more AR

07-06-05 Married

07-25-05 NOA for AP, AOS,

10-25-05 AP approval

02-24-06 AOS Interview!!!!!!

03-04-06 Issued Conditional Permanent Residence Card

08-28-06 Moved to Italy to work for DOD

03-04-08 Nebraska Service Center recieved I-751 application

03-24-08 Received I-797

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malta
Timeline

hi all, i would like to know if the expedite still applies if one has Conditional Residency and not Permnent Recidency when moving to the states?

Thanks

N400 sent : 2012-10-27

Check Cashed : 2012-11-05

Bio Appointment : 2012-11-23

Walk-In Biometrics : 2012-11-14

Interview Appointment : 2013-04-12

Approved : 2013-04-12

Oath Ceremony : 2013-06-28

as1cCET0g410010MjA0MDk1c3wwMTMxbHxTaW5jZ

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
hi all, i would like to know if the expedite still applies if one has Conditional Residency and not Permnent Recidency when moving to the states?

Thanks

As soon as you move to the States you don't fall under "expedited citizenship" (Section 319b) anymore.

Expedited means in your case as a military family member that you are on orders to PCS overseas or are currently stationed overseas and that your orders keep you there for at least (one more) year. In this case it doesn't matter how long you have been married and how long you have been a greencard holder, your application will be handled expedited. As soon as you have less than one year of your overseas tour left or return to the States, your case will be handled like any other case. Only difference: If you have spent time abroad on military orders, this time counts towards your residency and physical presence, so you don't have a break there.

Timeline

Thanks

As soon as you move to the States you don't fall under "expedited citizenship" (Section 319b) anymore.

Expedited means in your case as a military family member that you are on orders to PCS overseas or are currently stationed overseas and that your orders keep you there for at least (one more) year. In this case it doesn't matter how long you have been married and how long you have been a greencard holder, your application will be handled expedited. As soon as you have less than one year of your overseas tour left or return to the States, your case will be handled like any other case. Only difference: If you have spent time abroad on military orders, this time counts towards your residency and physical presence, so you don't have a break there.

hi stella... this is something i cant understand.... so my situation is this... as soon as i move to the states, my husband will have his order overseas assigned.... that is we will know where we will be moving and all that.... we will be moving mid next year.... will that still be enough to start the expedite as soon as i get there since we will have the orders?

thanks a lot

Timeline

Thanks

hi stella... this is something i cant understand.... so my situation is this... as soon as i move to the states, my husband will have his order overseas assigned.... that is we will know where we will be moving and all that.... we will be moving mid next year.... will that still be enough to start the expedite as soon as i get there since we will have the orders?

thanks a lot

Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood your posting. I thought you're currently stationed overseas and will return soon. But it sounds like you're moving to the States and after that you will PCS on orders overseas. As soon as you have orders to move overseas for at least one year with your name on them, you can apply for expedited citizenship. The whole process isn't necessarily much faster, processing times are most of the time pretty fast anyways. But you don't have to meet the requirement about having been married and having been a permanent resident for a certain amount of time. Also, just remember to send your application to the Nebraska Service Center.

Timeline

Thanks

thanks a lot

Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood your posting. I thought you're currently stationed overseas and will return soon. But it sounds like you're moving to the States and after that you will PCS on orders overseas. As soon as you have orders to move overseas for at least one year with your name on them, you can apply for expedited citizenship. The whole process isn't necessarily much faster, processing times are most of the time pretty fast anyways. But you don't have to meet the requirement about having been married and having been a permanent resident for a certain amount of time. Also, just remember to send your application to the Nebraska Service Center.

Thanks.... so even though i wont move immediately when i get into the states i can still apply for citizenship since we will have orders to move outside the united states... thanks for your help stella..... if you have any more info you can share i ll appreciate it :)

Filed: Timeline

Hi there,

I am so glad I found this website!!! I am desperate to get some information on how to process my application for naturalization.

My husband is in the military and going to Italy in May. I am on his order and qualified for applying for naturalization under section 319(B). I am planning on joining him the end of June, at the latest. Should I go ahead and apply for naturalization or wait until we get there? I have only 2 months left...

Are there any military spouses out there that have gone through this?

I am just so confused with the moving process and everything...

Thanks a lot,

Timeline
Hi there,

I am so glad I found this website!!! I am desperate to get some information on how to process my application for naturalization.

My husband is in the military and going to Italy in May. I am on his order and qualified for applying for naturalization under section 319(B). I am planning on joining him the end of June, at the latest. Should I go ahead and apply for naturalization or wait until we get there? I have only 2 months left...

Are there any military spouses out there that have gone through this?

I am just so confused with the moving process and everything...

Thanks a lot,

Do you live close to Washington DC? They're specialized in 319b cases. If you do, I would make an infopass appointment and ask for advice if it's better to file now and then maybe transfer your case to Italy, in case you don't get done before you move. Or if it would be better to file from Italy. I'm not sure how fast they process 319b applications when you are on orders. Or call the military hotline and ask for advice.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

i just read the guide for naturalization and it always states that you have to be a permanent resident... that is have the 10 yr green card.. what if you re a conditional residence and have only the 2 year green card residency??

thanks a lot

Timeline
i just read the guide for naturalization and it always states that you have to be a permanent resident even where it mentions military spouses... that is have the 10 yr green card.. what if you re a conditional residence and have only the 2 year green card residency??

Timeline
i just read the guide for naturalization and it always states that you have to be a permanent resident... that is have the 10 yr green card.. what if you re a conditional residence and have only the 2 year green card residency??

thanks a lot

If you have the 2 year greencard, you're a conditional permanent resident. Isn't that what it says on your greencard?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.