jj_154

I-864 and tax record questions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi,

I am still trying to complete my wife's I-130 application. In filling out the I-864, I began checking my tax returns for 2006 and noticed my tax preparer had not filled out an EZ2555 form. I have contacted him and he is preparing and amended return now (after apologizing profusely). Of course, I should have checked the return last year for correctness before it was filed but that was why I was paying a tax preparer in the first place. My question is about what I should do for the I-864. I have three options as I see it.

1. Submit 2006 return as is (with transcript).

2. Wait until the amended 2006 return is processed and submit the amended return (with transcript).

3. Gather 2007 records and have 2007 tax return filed (properly this time) as soon as possible. Submit 2007 return (with transcript).

Of course, #3 is the best option, but it will take the longest because I am still waiting on some 1099 forms. Then, I will have to wait for the transcript (do I really need the transcript, or can I just use a copy of the return?). #2 is next best (I think), but takes a little additional time. #1 seems like the worst option, but I have all the documents, so I can submit the petition soon. The main issue is I want to submit the petition as soon as possible, but at the same time I want it done right. #3 could take an additional month or more if I need to wait for transcripts.

Does anyone have some advice? How much do they scrutinize the tax forms?

Thanks,

John

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Probabaly option one will work since they will mainly be looking at whether or not you have income above poverty line for the size of your family. :innocent:

Hi,

I am still trying to complete my wife's I-130 application. In filling out the I-864, I began checking my tax returns for 2006 and noticed my tax preparer had not filled out an EZ2555 form. I have contacted him and he is preparing and amended return now (after apologizing profusely). Of course, I should have checked the return last year for correctness before it was filed but that was why I was paying a tax preparer in the first place. My question is about what I should do for the I-864. I have three options as I see it.

1. Submit 2006 return as is (with transcript).

2. Wait until the amended 2006 return is processed and submit the amended return (with transcript).

3. Gather 2007 records and have 2007 tax return filed (properly this time) as soon as possible. Submit 2007 return (with transcript).

Of course, #3 is the best option, but it will take the longest because I am still waiting on some 1099 forms. Then, I will have to wait for the transcript (do I really need the transcript, or can I just use a copy of the return?). #2 is next best (I think), but takes a little additional time. #1 seems like the worst option, but I have all the documents, so I can submit the petition soon. The main issue is I want to submit the petition as soon as possible, but at the same time I want it done right. #3 could take an additional month or more if I need to wait for transcripts.

Does anyone have some advice? How much do they scrutinize the tax forms?

Thanks,

John

Timeline
Probabaly option one will work since they will mainly be looking at whether or not you have income above poverty line for the size of your family. :innocent:

Thanks,

I'm still thinking about what to do. It's taking longer to prepare the application than I had thought.

John

Timeline
John,

You don't need to send in the Affidavit of Support with your I-130. You will have to show up with it at your interview, so you have plenty of time.

You can bring in either the transcripts -preferred- or the returns.

Good luck, L.

I know that I do not need it until the I-130 interview, but I would like to have all the documents collected before submitting the I-130 since I do not know how quick the interview will be scheduled. If it is relatively fast, then I could be stuck without the appropriate documents.

As far as the transcripts are concerned, is the EZ2555 listed on the transcript? If it is not listed on the transcript, then maybe it doesn't matter if I take the amended or original transcript.

John

Edited by jj_154

Filed: Timeline
John,

You don't need to send in the Affidavit of Support with your I-130. You will have to show up with it at your interview, so you have plenty of time.

You can bring in either the transcripts -preferred- or the returns.

Good luck, L.

I know that I do not need it until the I-130 interview, but I would like to have all the documents collected before submitting the I-130 since I do not know how quick the interview will be scheduled. If it is relatively fast, then I could be stuck without the appropriate documents.

As far as the transcripts are concerned, is the EZ2555 listed on the transcript? If it is not listed on the transcript, then maybe it doesn't matter if I take the amended or original transcript.

John

The bold part is relatively easy to figure out: check out DCF time lines from your place of residency, or better yet, call the consulate and inquire directly.

We didn't show up with transcripts, but with my husband's actual returns and we were fine. Don't know about the EZ2555 at all, sorry.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

John

Yes and No. The 2555 is not specifically listed on the transcript (it is specifically listed on the 1040).

The dollar amount from the 2555 does appear on the first page of the transcript - Line 21 - as a negative figure.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

John

Yes and No. The 2555 is not specifically listed on the transcript (it is specifically listed on the 1040).

The dollar amount from the 2555 does appear on the first page of the transcript - Line 21 - as a negative figure.

Thanks,

Maybe I will wait for this year's transcripts. I need one more 1099 before I can file. Hopefully it will come this week. I just am a little worried that since they see so many transcripts that they will wonder why there is no negative number listed for last year. I don't know if I should worry or not, but I want everything to go as smoothly as possible. If time becomes a big issue, than I will just go with what I have.

John

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.