MonopolyMoney

Filing taxes

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Kurtis and I were married October 31st. Prior to that, he had lived in Canada and I lived in the US. I earned income in the US, and he earned his income in Canada. After we were married, we filed for EI (which we received--woo!). He has made no other income while living in the US.

Do we need to file Canadian taxes as well as US? Do I include his income on the US taxes (married filing jointly)? Does he include my income on his taxes? What tax forms do we use?

Sorry for so many questions.. this is my first time filing as married. Is there a website that spells this all out in easy terms? I tried filing online, but received error messages because Kurtis is from Canada.

:help:

I-129F sent- 1/4/2007

I-129F received by Vermont Service Center- 1/8/2007

I-129F NOA1- 1/9/2007

Check cashed- 1/11/2007

I-129F NOA2- 1/24/2007

NVC received I-129F- 1/31/2007

Kurtis received packet from Montreal Consulate- 2/9/2007

Kurtis sent packet back to Montreal- 5/21/2007

Kurtis received interview date- 8/20/2007

Medical in Toronto- 9/11/2007

Interview in Montreal- 10/10/2007- APPROVED!

Received visa in mail- 10/15/2007

Traveled home to Massachusetts- 10/19/2007

Married- 10/31/2007

Mailed AOS packet- 1/23/2008

NOA issued- 1/30/2008

USCIS cashed check- 2/1/2008

Received RFE- 2/19/2008

Biometrics appointment- 2/21/2008 (in Providence, RI)

EAD application touched- 2/22/2008

Request for Evidence received by USCIS- 2/26/2008

EAD touched- 4/28/2008

AOS transferred to California Service Center- 5/16/2008

AOS touched- 5/27/2008

Called USCIS to have them do a case trace on our stale EAD- 5/27/2008

AOS touched- 5/29/2008

EAD card production ordered- 6/2/2008

AP approved- 6/2/2008

EAD received- 6/9/2008 (WOOHOO!!!!)

AP received- 6/9/2008

AOS touched- 6/19/2008

Total time it took to process EAD and AP- 129 days (boooo!)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You might want to have a look at this recent thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106720 - it answers some of your questions.

The difference between that example and yours is that your Spouse actually did live in Canada for part of 2007 - so he will need to file his Canadian return.

Kurtis and I were married October 31st. Prior to that, he had lived in Canada and I lived in the US. I earned income in the US, and he earned his income in Canada. After we were married, we filed for EI (which we received--woo!). He has made no other income while living in the US.

Do we need to file Canadian taxes as well as US? Do I include his income on the US taxes (married filing jointly)? Does he include my income on his taxes? What tax forms do we use?

Sorry for so many questions.. this is my first time filing as married. Is there a website that spells this all out in easy terms? I tried filing online, but received error messages because Kurtis is from Canada.

:help:

Why would you get an error message? Does your husband have a SS#? If so, then once you select married filing jointly, you enter your spouse's current information. Residency as for taxes and immigration residency may be different.

Look at this thread, I think it has some information that may be helpful to you.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Portugal
Timeline

Hi,

What is EI?

My husband earned some income abroad and we were married in December... do we file married jointly or separately?

confused,

Gail

This may help a bit

http:// www.visajourney.com/forums/index/php?showtopic=109

NOA1 - May 18th

NOA2 - October 18th

NVC Received - Oct. 22

Packet 3 Received - Nov. 9

Interview - Nov. 27 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interview Delayed until December 6th

K1 in hand - December 6th!!!!!!!!!!

Arrived in the U.S. - December 12th!

MARRIED December 17th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi,

What is EI?

My husband earned some income abroad and we were married in December... do we file married jointly or separately?

confused,

Gail

This may help a bit

http:// www.visajourney.com/forums/index/php?showtopic=109

EI is employment insurance Canadians apply for when unemployed. Not sure if EI is the same in every country. As to your question, maybe asking a tax professional would be a good idea.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.