6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

:help: Here's our status: Hubby came over from England in June on Fiance Visa, we got married June 30th. Turned in all of paperwork for AOS in July, got SS card, had Biometrics appointment, recently received Work Authorization card. Now we are waiting for our interview in March. Finally on the Homestretch! We are excited, as he would love to return to England to visit his kids & mum after the interview if approved.

He went to get his passport to apply for a driver's license yesterday, and .... can't find it!! We have turned the house upside down looking, but it is nowhere to be found. He has always been so careful with it, so this is confusing to us. Of course, we've had it in and out so many times, making copies of it, taking it to appts, etc., that in a way, it's no wonder! Regardless, the fact is, we cannot find it.

We need some advice on the best course to take. Do we need to apply with an English Embassy to get a new one? If so, how might this affect the process of his residency now? How quickly could we get it, does anyone know?

Do we need the passport for the interview? I'm assuming we do (need to check the instruction email to see) but will a copy suffice? (We have several copies!) If we do not, should we tell them it is lost, or would that just complicate matters? *sigh*

If we do manage to get a new one in time for the interview (we have about 50 days), how will that affect his status, as the old passport number is all over his current paperwork? In other words, will they require us to 'start over'???

AAARGH!!!

Help! Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Go to UK Consulate and apply for a replacement. Lost passport has no bearing on residency. No passport required but when you have the interview you will need some sort picture ID... Not sure what else you have in this regard (EAD card?).

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

No passport required but when you have the interview you will need some sort picture ID...

I'm not sure on this part. I think they do want to see the passport and remove the I-94 out of it. In our interview the IO not only asked for IDs, but she specifically asked for my husbands passport and held onto it throughout the interview. At the end she removed the I-94 from it.

If the passport is lost, its lost, you can't re-create what is not there. Go apply for a new one, and just bring the copies of the old one with you to the interview and explain what happened.

12140.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Also do you report lost passports tothe police here? In NZ and OZ you do... just in case it was stolen.

I 130 & I129F (K3) and AOS info in timeline

Had a similar situation.....but we'd yet to file AOS. It was very worrisome, since at my Embassy interview I was warned not to lose the passport....since it contained my K1 Visa.....and they don't re-issue them(at least not Stateside!!). So, even though I was already in the States, I was frantic about cokmpleteing AOS.

Your situation is more secure (I would think) since you've already filed AOS.

I can tell you that several years ago, on a previous trip to the States, my whole family had their passports stolen out of our car at a sight-seeing overlook. A frantic call to the British Embassy in Washington, and a lovely chap (Steven, I believe) helped sort out passports in less than 4 weeks. In the back of our "new" (and yes they are machine readable) passports it references that "this passport replaces a lost/stolen passport #.......". So the "old number" is in the new passport as well.

This website may help: http://www.britianusa.com. It says this about what to do in case of a lost/stolen passport.

"What should I do if my passport is lost or stolen?

British Embassy, Washington, DC, 10/23/2007

If you have lost a passport or your book was stolen

What should I do if my passport is lost or stolen?

If you are overseas, report the incident to the local police as soon as possible and obtain a police report in the cases of stolen passports.

Following this immediately inform the nearest British Consulate, this will reduce the risk of someone stealing your identity or attempting to enter the UK on your passport. Send or take a copy of the police report along with a completed LSO1 form, which is available online or from one of our offices, to the Consulate who will then be able to cancel your passport.

If you are in the UK, contact the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) on their Passport Advice Line 0870 521 0410 for guidance.

What if I later find a passport I have reported as lost or stolen?

You must return it to the nearest British Consulate as soon as possible. If you are in the UK you should return your passport to the nearest Identity and Passport Service office.

Once you report your passport as lost or stolen the passport is electronically cancelled and you are not able to use it as legal proof of identity, nationality or for any other legal purpose. You must not use it to travel, as this may cause the passport to be impounded by the Immigration Service at UK ports or airports, and if attempting to travel overseas, you could face deportation or arrest. You must also not use it as a means of identification, as this may be detected as a potentially fraudulent act."

I hope this information points you in a helpful direction. Cheers

Sent forms to attorney 10-12-06

NOA1...........................11-17-06

NOA2............................2-15-07

NVC rcv'd......................2-22-07

NVC sent 2 embassy.......2-23-07

Rcv'd Packet 3................3-2-07

Packet 3 sent..................3-9-07

Medical scheduled............3-29-07

Interview-Approved.........4-19-07

Flight to USA....................5-26-07

Wedding..........................5-30-07

AOS Journey

Applied for SSN in married name .........6-27-07

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP to Chicago......6-29-07

SSN received (Wow! that was quick!).....7-3-07

NOA1 for AOS and AP ..........................7-16-07 (EAD amount wrong...oops, added $70 extra for biometrics

Checks cashed for AOS and AP.............7-19-07

Passed Michigan Driver's Test................7-31-07

Biometrics for AOS ..............................8-01-07

AP approved........................................8-09-07 (Day 24)

AOS Interview......................................10-25-07 (APPROVED)

Card production ordered.......................10-30-07

GC rec'd..............................................11-5-07 (w/effective date 10-25-07

Removing Conditions

Mailed pkg........................................9-10-09

NOA .................................................9-14-09

Biometrics.........................................10-23-09

Card Production Ordered (At Last!!).01-13-10

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Thank you all so much for the advice and information. We looked all over once more last night, now we will proceed with reporting it lost/stolen and go from there.

Thanks again, I feel so much better after reading your posts.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.