60 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Good point, wish mine thought like you did! AHAH :thumbs:

Hehe.....well, sooner I get a job, the sooner I will not feel guilty about spending what i like. We both saved for this time off and I'm getting unemployment benefits from Canada...but until there are 2 people working, just can't justify much. Be nice not to spend everything in savings and actually pay off some bills too

Makes a person realize how materialistic I am....I don't need a fraction of the ####### I want :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
@rhymeswithcandi: hang in there! I filed almost 9 months ago and I'm still unsure of my case status. I am totally fine with waiting for my GC as long as I know they are working on it and that my file is in good hands at uscis. I see where you are coming from, it is frustrating for me too to see the majority of people getting approved in less than 6 months, like they're drawing applications out of a hat.

I however had my EAD approved within 90 days, so maybe it's worth applying for that for you? Did you have your biometrics yet?

good luck to you!

Thank you! Same to you... Seems like you've had a bit of a long go of it as well.

No biometrics yet.

Timeline
:lol: I chuckle when I read posts like this! The processing timelines announced by USCIS are directly related to the volume of petitions being handled. Now in order for processing times to be a quick turnaround (across the board and not the isolated situation, mind you) then the volume of cases would have to be smaller. So, for those aliens that are watching processing timelines like a "boiling pot" and anxious for "their" case to be handled, which fellow aliens do you think should wait before beginning their journey? ;)

What?

Let me say it more clearly. If you are anxious and wondering why it is taking so long to process your petition, it is because there are a lot to process. In order to make yours get to the top of the pile more quickly, the pile would have to be smaller. That's all. :D

USCIS provides a service. If the petitions pile up to a point that is unmanageable for the staff to keep up with, they need to hire more people to process the flood of applications. The timelines provided on their website have doubled in the last 6 months and I'm not alone in thinking that is unsat. The fact that fees have increased by so much while the service provided is below what it was 6 months ago is unsat. There have been a number of Congressmen/women who have brought this up so I know my feelings on this aren't unique. Where there is need, I believe, they need to adjust to accommodate to that need - in this case volume of applications has created a need for more staff. Why do you think the help-line and forms are available in Spanish? A large number of immigrants spoke only Spanish and, as a result, <b>thousands</b> of dollars were spent to accommodate that need... and those Spanish-speaking immigrants paying for a service had their needs met accordingly. I just think something similar should be done here.

You're dealing with an 'unknown' volume. Hard to anticipate, and variable. When the overload becomes too overbearing, then occasionally adjustments are made in the procedure. Frankly, as has been said already on the board today, several more months is a drop in the bucket for a lifetime together.

I'm sorry but I disagree. It's not an unknown volume. They've been publishing news statements for the past 5 months regarding volume. They've known about the increase in petitions/ applications for a long time. It has become overbearing - Congress is talking about it.

I'm sorry... I don't consider it a drop in the bucket and neither does my husband. We're together, yes, and totally grateful for that but it would be nice to get the service we paid for... that's all.

You are entitled to your opinion, but it is an unknown volume and variable. Just how, exactly, would USCIS know the approximate number of petitions for alien relatives that are going to come in? Do you really believe that a US agency such as USCIS would know the number of people that are courting foreign-born individuals and likely to decide to begin the immigration process? Do you think they are clairvoyant? And just for grins, let's hypothetically agree that they have such powers, that doesn't discount that variable factor. Perhaps in the early part of the year there are "x" number of cases, and later, say 6 months on, there are 1/3X cases. How can an agency gear up and down to that degree without either paying through the nose for interim contracts, or incurring liabilities down the road for lay offs? I think it is not that simple.

I'm not suggesting they be clairvoyant... like I said, they have KNOWN about the increase in volume for several months. But speaking of clairvoyance, they actually predicted an influx of petitions with the rate increase - particularly for naturalization. As for contracts, isn't the whole POINT of government contracting work out to SAVE money. I don't buy it that it's tough to "gear up and down" when you're dealing with contractors. The beauty of government contractors is that the government can use then temporarily. I'm not saying it's simple at all.

Argghh! Firstly, anticipating s flurry of last minute submissions at the point of a price increase and knowing the entire volume of petitions of any type or sort (irrespective of price, increase or otehrwise) are 2 entirely different things.

Clearly, you've never run a business. No, in fact, contracts rarely SAVE money. What contracts do is place accountaibility, responsibility and liability at another entity's feet. But, anyway, I guess my final question to you is, "If waiting a couple of months is so untenable to you, and you'd prefer there be no backlogs (whether or not you are willing to or can really grasp the notion that in order to predict volume USCIS would have to be clairvoyant), at what price would you buy more efficient service?" Is it worth $500, $1,000 to you?

We've already spent $1000 on the process but, to answer your question, I think we'd be willing to pay another $1000 to speed things up a bit - We'd pay more just for them to know what's up with my case. Our petition and benefits have been riddled with problems and no one seems to know what is what.

In response to your notion that it would have to take some kind of 6th sense to foresee the dramatic increase in volume, here is a quote from Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich (a member of Congress) "Every time there's a fee increase, there's a bump in applications. You don't have to take Statistics 101 to figure that out."

Timeline
Candi - I just looked at your timeline. You filed in late September. Do you think that is a long time?

We actually filed in July then got a notice that we hadn't sent the biometric fee so we sent that in August. It was sent back to us in September with a mysterious rejection notice. I also filed for AP in September and it was sent back to me, rejected, for "incorrect fee" but stapled to that same NOA was my check for $305 (with the USICS stamp on it indicating they had received it) which is exactly the fee. After an InfoPass appointment, a very apologetic officer told me to send a letter, copies of all forms filed to date and my checks. She gave me the name of a particular person. My error has held things up - their error held things up even further.

To answer your question, I don't think my own case is taking THAT long really- it's just been so poorly handled and the prospect of waiting another 6 months is disheartening.

My point in posting this thread about the 12 month AOS timeline was not so much to complain about how long my own case has taken (if I had included the biometric fee with my initial filing in July these problems would probably have been avoided -so my bad). My point in posting this thread was a general observation on how the wait times have doubled since July/ August and I found this shocking as fees have also doubled.

Filed: Timeline
problems would probably have been avoided -so my bad). My point in posting this thread was a general observation on how the wait times have doubled since July/ August and I found this shocking as fees have also doubled.

But the wait times haven't doubled. Those USCIS stats are for employment-based applications only. There are no stats for family-based applications.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Fair enough. It does sound like you've had some timing difficulties.

Timelines might have extended a bit in the last few months. But look at them over the last 3 years.

Why?

Because you'll see that even though timelines might be a bit longer at the moment, they've been improving dramatically for quite some time. When I first investigated the paperwork for marrying a foreign born person (about three years ago) I never expected his adjustment of status to take less than 6 months. I expected that task to take about 8-10 months.

Persons recently filing for adjustment, IMO, have experienced far fewer delays than those filing visa petitions. I really don't think things are all that bad for adjustees right now - as long as they aren't caught in namecheck.

Candi - I just looked at your timeline. You filed in late September. Do you think that is a long time?

We actually filed in July then got a notice that we hadn't sent the biometric fee so we sent that in August. It was sent back to us in September with a mysterious rejection notice. I also filed for AP in September and it was sent back to me, rejected, for "incorrect fee" but stapled to that same NOA was my check for $305 (with the USICS stamp on it indicating they had received it) which is exactly the fee. After an InfoPass appointment, a very apologetic officer told me to send a letter, copies of all forms filed to date and my checks. She gave me the name of a particular person. My error has held things up - their error held things up even further.

To answer your question, I don't think my own case is taking THAT long really- it's just been so poorly handled and the prospect of waiting another 6 months is disheartening.

My point in posting this thread about the 12 month AOS timeline was not so much to complain about how long my own case has taken (if I had included the biometric fee with my initial filing in July these problems would probably have been avoided -so my bad). My point in posting this thread was a general observation on how the wait times have doubled since July/ August and I found this shocking as fees have also doubled.

When I first started my immigration journey it was the norm for AOS to take between 10 - 13 months.... then they started transfering cases to CSC and lots of people got approved within 3 - 6 months, so if it is now going to take between 10 - 12 months it is just the normal processing time as it was 2 years ago....

this time last year people were complaining that they had paid for EAD and AP but because they were getting approved within 3 months they felt they had waisted the money.... so now they will get the benefit of being able to use the EAD and AP while they wait for AOS...

Yes the fees went up and everybody hoped it would speed up the processing times even more... well new staff take time to train... its not like they can employ a few hundred adjudication officers on friday and have them working on cases with a week... I used to work for the British Government and I know when we got new staff it took 13 weeks to train them and then another 3 months for them to get up to speed... when you are working with complex Government law it takes time to understand the law and be able to apply it in your normal working day...

All my immigration applications have gone through Vermont Service Center... I like many people have had to sit back and watch other get transfered to CSC and be approved within weeks.... VSC has not transfered any of its cases for AOS so we all had to just wait while other who filed after us got approved without interview long before we did.... and now 2 years later we are having to do the same all over again with the removal of Conditions... is that fair? No not really but it is what is and there is nothing we can do about it... so I find it hard to be shocked at the fact that after the massive increase in applications people are going to have to wait 10 - 12 months for AOS... I am sure some will get approved much sooner than that and others will get caught in name check and have to wait much much longer....

Kez

When I first started my immigration journey it was the norm for AOS to take between 10 - 13 months.... then they started transfering cases to CSC and lots of people got approved within 3 - 6 months, so if it is now going to take between 10 - 12 months it is just the normal processing time as it was 2 years ago....

this time last year people were complaining that they had paid for EAD and AP but because they were getting approved within 3 months they felt they had waisted the money.... so now they will get the benefit of being able to use the EAD and AP while they wait for AOS...

Yes the fees went up and everybody hoped it would speed up the processing times even more... well new staff take time to train... its not like they can employ a few hundred adjudication officers on friday and have them working on cases with a week... I used to work for the British Government and I know when we got new staff it took 13 weeks to train them and then another 3 months for them to get up to speed... when you are working with complex Government law it takes time to understand the law and be able to apply it in your normal working day...

All my immigration applications have gone through Vermont Service Center... I like many people have had to sit back and watch other get transfered to CSC and be approved within weeks.... VSC has not transfered any of its cases for AOS so we all had to just wait while other who filed after us got approved without interview long before we did.... and now 2 years later we are having to do the same all over again with the removal of Conditions... is that fair? No not really but it is what is and there is nothing we can do about it... so I find it hard to be shocked at the fact that after the massive increase in applications people are going to have to wait 10 - 12 months for AOS... I am sure some will get approved much sooner than that and others will get caught in name check and have to wait much much longer....

Kez

My sentiments exactly! There was a day when not only was the wait for adjudication 4 times what it is today, but in order to report, one stood in lines outside the USCIS local office(Legacy INS) to take a number and then heaven knows if you'd be helped that day. There were cases where aliens lined up at 5am only to enter the building shortly after 9:30a. A ticket was issued that said 8.5 and that it wasn't 8.5 minutes but hours. And guess what....the office closed in 7 hours. And then there was a mandated interview, at each stage, and INS didn't give a fig whether the drive was 500 miles each way. So!

You are whining, and if you would be willing to pay $1000 to expedite it, why complain about being out of work for longer than others?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

Kez

My sentiments exactly! There was a day when not only was the wait for adjudication 4 times what it is today, but in order to report, one stood in lines outside the USCIS local office(Legacy INS) to take a number and then heaven knows if you'd be helped that day. There were cases where aliens lined up at 5am only to enter the building shortly after 9:30a. A ticket was issued that said 8.5 and that it wasn't 8.5 minutes but hours. And guess what....the office closed in 7 hours. And then there was a mandated interview, at each stage, and INS didn't give a fig whether the drive was 500 miles each way. So!

You are whining, and if you would be willing to pay $1000 to expedite it, why complain about being out of work for longer than others?

My Grandmother had to walk to school every day (uphill both ways) in snow and rain. Doesn't make me any less annoyed when my school bus was late.

No one is saying you cant complain about it...... if thats what you want to do..... will your complaining make your case be approved any quicker???? no all it will do is give you more stress than you need... you started this journey not knowing just how long it would take... we all did.. for some it will take longer than others... you say that a 10 - 12 month wait is not acceptable... well you always have a choice... nobody is making you to do AOS, you are free to move to Canada when ever you want.... as for your grandmother and her daily walk, she did not have a choice you do when you choose to wait for the bus.... maybe the walk would have done you more good??

Kez

Timeline
No one is saying you cant complain about it...... if thats what you want to do..... will your complaining make your case be approved any quicker???? no all it will do is give you more stress than you need... you started this journey not knowing just how long it would take... we all did.. for some it will take longer than others... you say that a 10 - 12 month wait is not acceptable... well you always have a choice... nobody is making you to do AOS, you are free to move to Canada when ever you want.... as for your grandmother and her daily walk, she did not have a choice you do when you choose to wait for the bus.... maybe the walk would have done you more good??

Kez

I actually didn't start this thread as a complaint. As this debate has worn on I've really just been criticizing a system that has flaws... and I know I'm not alone in my critique.

In my eyes, I don't have a choice - my husband and I have decided to live here and we're waiting out the process. That doesn't mean I can't point out flaws.

Kez

I actually didn't start this thread as a complaint. As this debate has worn on I've really just been criticizing a system that has flaws... and I know I'm not alone in my critique.

In my eyes, I don't have a choice - my husband and I have decided to live here and we're waiting out the process. That doesn't mean I can't point out flaws.

Indeed. That said, there's something to be said for being flawless, oneself, if one wants to draw attention to the flaws of others :)

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

Kez

Indeed. That said, there's something to be said for being flawless, oneself, if one wants to draw attention to the flaws of others :)

Are you kidding me? Ok I'm just going to agree to disagree at this point :)

Kez

Yes the system has its flaws and faults, we all know that.... but having to wait 10 -12 months to get your Greencard is not that unacceptable... you dont have to look too far back to see that longer processing times were the norm.... I am sure once the USCIS has trained all its new staff things will improve, I know that does not help any of us that are caught up in the backlog and slowed processing times... some of us had no choice of when to file we were given a 90 day window to submit our applications to remove conditions.... I missed out on being able to pay the old lower fee by just a few days.... and am now caught up in the backlog the fee increase created.... it is what is.... and no amount of pointing out the flaws is going to change that... I dont stress about it because there is nothing I can do to make my application be approved any quicker... in a perfect world by the time my Biometrics had been done I should have been approved..... I wish!!!!

I hope your journey is over for you as fast as it can be done....

Kez

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.