Jonathan B

Can we get married over there?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

My fiance and I want to get married over in Scotland and then come back to the US. Is it possible for us to get a Visa which would allow us to get married over there and then come back here? ---- She is from Scotland and I am from the US.

Thanks.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2008

NOA2: July 20, 2008

Interview Date: Dec. 18th

Approved: Jan. 9th, 2009

Arrive in USA: April 1st, 2009

Got Married: May 22nd, 2009

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

B)-->

QUOTE(Jonathan B @ Jan 20 2008, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My fiance and I want to get married over in Scotland and then come back to the US. Is it possible for us to get a Visa which would allow us to get married over there and then come back here? ---- She is from Scotland and I am from the US.

Thanks.

Yes, but you wait to file until after the marriage. See the guides on this site for the various spouse visas.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

You would have to file for a CR-1/K-3 visa - it is kinda the same sort of process as K-1 but generally takes a while longer. If you are set on getting married in Scotland and living in the US and don't mind waiting a year to be together then go for it but just bear in mind the quicker route tends to be a K-1 where you file then get married in the US when you get the visa :)

All has pretty much the same result (although I believe with a spousal visa you are able to work straight away?) in that you will be together there but they have a few differences and take slightly different amounts of time :)

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

NOT a K-1, You would apply for a CR-1 or perhaps K-3.

Marry over there, and then apply for the CR-1 or K-3 after marriage.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

B)-->

QUOTE(Jonathan B @ Jan 20 2008, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks.

Hi :)

I am from Scotland and got married in Florida as my husband is from there. It was not our original plans as we did plan to get married here in Scotland at christmas time last year but instead we went and got married in Florida in August last year. it is possible for you and your fiance to get married in Scotland ( just remember scottish law is different to English eventhough we are both UK) also its easier to get married in Scotland cause i checked it out. First off I was told my husband ( USC) would need to get permission from his state that he was NOT staying just visiting for marriage it takes 4 weeks to get paperwork and then i would have to pass this paperwork on to Scottish authorities and then it takes 2 weeks to get marriage license which allows us to

get married in Scotland ...ofcourse thats easy but all the same you will still have to go through I-130 but then it would go through London which means its faster approx 6 months so u it's worth calling the Scottish Authorities and the State where your USC lives to find out the timescale. Either way you both have to wait for final approval and visa. It is said that Scotland is one the easiest countries to get married in. I wish i had stuck out and waited to get married in Scotland knowing what i know now but unfortunately for me my husband had some family setbacks which would not allow him to be here at Christmas so we took the second option.

Where in Scotland is your fiance from ?

I am in Aberdeen the North East

Good luck whatever you choose :)

Michelle :)

Timeline

No US Citizen needs permission from their State to visit any place or marry any place. They might need a divorce decree from their State or other freedom to marry documentation to satisfy a foreign government but they do not need permission from their State. The US Citizen simply follows the laws in the location of marriage.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hmm... Sorry, but I should have given more details.

Yes, we would like to get married over there, but we would both be headed back to America in a short period of time. I'm a University student and would prefer not to stop my studies and I have a good job currently that won't wait several months on me to come back. So we would be getting married and coming back to America most likely within the week.

Michelle, So would we just file the K-1 and do that? --- Or would we have to go some other route?

Thanks for the replies! I was surprised I got answers so fast!

Oh... Forgot to mention --- She is from Glasgow.

Edited by Jonathan B

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2008

NOA2: July 20, 2008

Interview Date: Dec. 18th

Approved: Jan. 9th, 2009

Arrive in USA: April 1st, 2009

Got Married: May 22nd, 2009

Timeline

B)-->

QUOTE(Jonathan B @ Jan 20 2008, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm... Sorry, but I should have given more details.

Yes, we would like to get married over there, but we would both be headed back to America in a short period of time. I'm a University student and would prefer not to stop my studies and I have a good job currently that won't wait several months on me to come back. So we would be getting married and coming back to America most likely within the week.

Michelle, So would we just file the K-1 and do that? --- Or would we have to go some other route?

Thanks for the replies! I was surprised I got answers so fast!

Oh... Forgot to mention --- She is from Glasgow.

Your plans may need adjustment in order to comply with US Immigration law. No, you do not marry in Scotland and then apply for a fiance visa. You will then have a spouse, not a fiance. So, the USC, petitions for a spouse visa and the foreign spouse goes through the spouse visa process. You could file a petition and begin the K1 fiance visa process now, but that would require the marriage take place in the US, not Scotland. Please do see the guides.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Other Timeline
You would have to file for a CR-1/K-3 visa - it is kinda the same sort of process as K-1 but generally takes a while longer. If you are set on getting married in Scotland and living in the US and don't mind waiting a year to be together then go for it but just bear in mind the quicker route tends to be a K-1 where you file then get married in the US when you get the visa :)

All has pretty much the same result (although I believe with a spousal visa you are able to work straight away?) in that you will be together there but they have a few differences and take slightly different amounts of time :)

The results are pretty different for the three visa types, actually.

K1 or K3 both must adjust status stateside. CR1 arrives stateside with the adjustment done and dusted. No waiting to work and no waiting for the greencard.

You won't be able to just 'marry' in Scotland. You'll have to file for a visa from the UK government for that. The UK does not allow foreign born individuals to marry UK citizens without such a visa. Unlike over here.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

B)-->

QUOTE(Jonathan B @ Jan 20 2008, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, we would like to get married over there, but we would both be headed back to America in a short period of time. So we would be getting married and coming back to America most likely within the week.

w.

No way you can marry her in Scotland and then bring her in within a week unless she is also a dual US citizen. You will have to make your plans according to USA immigration law as pushbrk stated.

you have 2 choices for her immigration, Fiance or Spouse.

K1(Fiance)- you are engaged and the visa process takes 6 to 10 months. you marry in the USA when she comes to the USA. Not before.

K3- CR1 (Spouse) you marry first whereever you wish, and then file the papers. process can take 10 mnths to 18 months. after that time then she comes to usa.

Chris

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/15/08 NOA1 received EAD

08/15/08 NOA1 received AOS

08/19/08 Checks cashed

08/23/08 biometrics appt letter

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Timeline

Well, if she can convince a CBP agent, she has sufficient ties to her home country and will return, she may be allowed to visit during a portion or portions of the visa process.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.