bnr

k-1 versus k-3 for my situation.

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Norway
Timeline

Hello!

Any advice, experience, etc. on this situation (pretty general) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Our situation:

My fiancee is a Norwegian male and is just finishing up his masters degree in Business. ME, I am finishing up my doctorate in clinical psy and will begin working as a psychologist for the military in Aug....then, my pay will be a lot nicer than it is now as a student. WE, no kids, no pets, no criminal record, and have been together seeing each other for some time now.

We would like to file for either a K-1 or K-3 visa...whatever one will make our lives the easiest in regards to being with each other ASAP and having him be able to work ASAP. My current income is about 26,000 does this qualify to register as a sponsor on the K-1? Also, our dream date of him getting here would be Sept 2008.... I know its pushing it but it would be nice. The thing is, we know that on a K-3 he can work as soon as he arrives on American soil (we can marry as soon as this Feb if we have to). with the K-1 he may have to wait up to 3 months to get a work visa (is that true even if we marry as soon as he gets here???) The bad part about the K-3 visa is I have read about a lot of people waiting up to two years to see their loved one get here!! :( wow. Anyone have experience like that? We were told that since he is from Norway the wait for the K-1 or K-3 can be very quick. I wonder how true this is???

So basically, we want to take the right route in getting him here ASAP and having him work. What do you all think???

Also, I know getting an attorney is a debate. I spoke to one who quoted getting a K-1 for him in 6 months and getting him work in 30days when he arrives......for the price of $1,800 of service fees!! ouch.

I have asked tons of Q's here. If you can answer just one it would help. Thank you!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi and welcome to VJ!!

I think the main thing to consider is whether you prefer to be apart now and file for the K1 or if you prefer to plan your wedding now for your dream date on September this year and then be apart. The K3 seems to be taking longer than the K1. If things go smoothly and the service centers catch up on their current backlog, you should be able to make your dream date if you decide to go with the K1. However, I would not book anything because you just never know.

Your currnet income is sufficient to file the petition without a co-sponsor.

Whatever route you choose, all the best of luck to you!!!

In every difficulty lies an island of opportunity.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Work ASAP and being together ASAP are opposing priorities.

K-3 is not work authorized and has to wait 90 days or more to get a work permit, K-3 also has to adjust status (Cost $1010)

K-1 is not a work visa it is a marriage visa.

K-1 is "Work Auth" primarily to be able to get the SSN, some states are strict in their interpretation of a federal law that requires persons applying for a "license" to have SSN, this can cause a problem with marriage license if only one person has SSN and the other (the K-1 holder) does not. So if trying to get SSN after marriage using only the K-1 and marriage cert, you may run into some resistance at the SSA office.

FAQ:

5.5)...Is there any way I can make absolutely, positively sure that my fiance(e) will receive work authorization so that they can go to work and help to pay the bills right away?

A..No.

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-enter.html#5.5

If you want guaranteed work authorization upon entry to the USA you need to marry first and apply for a true immigrant visa (CR-1), that visa generates a temp green-card immediately upon entry to the USA.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Timeline
Hello!

Any advice, experience, etc. on this situation (pretty general) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Hello bnr, and welcome! Many of your questions can be answered in the guides. Take a look through both the K-1 and K-3 guide, and try to see which one works best for you.

I'm not going to re-hash the attorney vs no attorney debate, you can do a search on the relevant terms and make your mind up that way. But keep in mind that no attorney can legitimately guarantee you a specific amount of time for either the K-1/3 or work permit. They work at their own pace regardless of whether there's a lawyer behind it or not. In fact, they also even tend to blow off congress when they get involved.

K-3's are taking a little longer than K-1's, you can look at the immigration timelines to get an idea of what those times are. Do a search on Norwegian filers to narrow it down a little better. Just keep in mind that processing times have been so erratic lately that it's really anyone's guess as to how it's going to go. We thought it was going to settle down once they were through all the July filers, but so far that hasn't been the case.

Oh, your current income is fine for sponsorship.

Anyway, this should get you going. Read up, do some timeline comparisons, and then if you have any specific questions (and you will) feel free to ask away.

Good luck to you!!! :)

Edited by mox

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello!

Our situation:

My fiancee is a Norwegian male and is just finishing up his masters degree in Business. ME, I am finishing up my doctorate in clinical psy and will begin working as a psychologist for the military in Aug....then, my pay will be a lot nicer than it is now as a student. WE, no kids, no pets, no criminal record, and have been together seeing each other for some time now.

We would like to file for either a K-1 or K-3 visa...whatever one will make our lives the easiest in regards to being with each other ASAP and having him be able to work ASAP. My current income is about 26,000 does this qualify to register as a sponsor on the K-1? Also, our dream date of him getting here would be Sept 2008.... I know its pushing it but it would be nice. The thing is, we know that on a K-3 he can work as soon as he arrives on American soil (we can marry as soon as this Feb if we have to). with the K-1 he may have to wait up to 3 months to get a work visa (is that true even if we marry as soon as he gets here???) The bad part about the K-3 visa is I have read about a lot of people waiting up to two years to see their loved one get here!! :( wow. Anyone have experience like that? We were told that since he is from Norway the wait for the K-1 or K-3 can be very quick. I wonder how true this is???

So basically, we want to take the right route in getting him here ASAP and having him work. What do you all think???

Also, I know getting an attorney is a debate. I spoke to one who quoted getting a K-1 for him in 6 months and getting him work in 30days when he arrives......for the price of $1,800 of service fees!! ouch.

I have asked tons of Q's here. If you can answer just one it would help. Thank you!!!

As Dan said, you have some opposing goals, so you'll have to prioritize. K1 will get him here fastest because you can file now. Any visa for a spouse must be filed after the marriage takes place. If you decide working upon arrival is the higher priority, then marry first and go the CR1 route. Nothing mentioned in your post would cause me to recommend a K3 visa.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Norway
Timeline

Thank you all so very much!

I want to share our new plan with you all and any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

With all the great advice from here and at other forums....and web sites I have looked through (recommended by you all), we have come to this:

We will immediately (tomorrow) begin the K-1 paper work (without an attorney) . After all is processed and he has his visa, he will go through customs at JFK and hopefully get a 90-day temp work permit (advice from another site offered this as a quick way of getting a work permit and apparently JFK is the only one). The min he arrives to see me, we will head on down to the very romantic court house and wed (have the big wedding a couple months later). The next day we will immediately file for his Adjustment of Status and for Employment Authorization and patiently await for it to process. The idea here would be that the two while waiting for the EAD to process he will have a temp work permit from JFK.

OK...so I realize there may be a big conflict here: that being he will have a permit as a K-1 to work and then we wed immediately. I read this on a forum so thats where I got that idea. So if it is not possible, should we A) just forget about the 30-day temp work permit at JFK and just wed immediately when he gets here or B) should we have him use the 90 day-work permit and wed later.

I really appreciate this everyone!! We are both so thankful!!

Thank you all so very much!

I want to share our new plan with you all and any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

With all the great advice from here and at other forums....and web sites I have looked through (recommended by you all), we have come to this:

We will immediately (tomorrow) begin the K-1 paper work (without an attorney) . After all is processed and he has his visa, he will go through customs at JFK and hopefully get a 90-day temp work permit (advice from another site offered this as a quick way of getting a work permit and apparently JFK is the only one). The min he arrives to see me, we will head on down to the very romantic court house and wed (have the big wedding a couple months later). The next day we will immediately file for his Adjustment of Status and for Employment Authorization and patiently await for it to process. The idea here would be that the two while waiting for the EAD to process he will have a temp work permit from JFK.

OK...so I realize there may be a big conflict here: that being he will have a permit as a K-1 to work and then we wed immediately. I read this on a forum so thats where I got that idea. So if it is not possible, should we A) just forget about the 30-day temp work permit at JFK and just wed immediately when he gets here or B) should we have him use the 90 day-work permit and wed later.

I really appreciate this everyone!! We are both so thankful!!

The work stamp will be good for 90 days regardless of marriage status.

Depending on your state, you may not be able to do what you want as quick as you would like, some states have waiting periods after you apply for a licence and before you can marry.

keTiiDCjGVo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.