second stage

Apply for SSN before or after name change

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Am still confused about when to apply for SSN!

My fiancee will be changing her last name when we get married within 2-3 weeks of her arrival. Her POE will be JFK.

Is it better to apply for SSN after the marriage so SSN shows the changed name? or before marriage and then change the name after getting the marriage certificate?

Does anyone have experience getting their marriage license with name changed and then applying for SSN in the Hillsborough County, Florida?

Appreciate your responses!

Mom sponsoring for her son(my brother)

06/15/2010 : I-130 for son
06/23/2010 : Check Cashed
06/26/2010 : Received NOA
03/20/2012 : Received RFE(I-797E)
05/23/2012: Application approved after RFE response
06/29/2012: Received letter from NVC

06/03/2015: Change petition from F1 to F3 category

Checklist :
1. I-751(ROC)
2. Parents AOS
3. I-130(Son)
4. N-400(Spouse)

5. N-400(Parents)

6. K-1 & AOS & ROC TimeLine

My fiancee will be changing her last name when we get married within 2-3 weeks of her arrival. Her POE will be JFK.

Is it better to apply for SSN after the marriage so SSN shows the changed name? or before marriage and then change the name after getting the marriage certificate?

Does anyone have experience getting their marriage license with name changed and then applying for SSN in the Hillsborough County, Florida?

Your call. If you do it after getting married and it goes through without a problem you save a trip to the SSA office. However, people seem to have more problems with SSA offices when applying with the married name.

Claudeth applied for her card after she was here for two weeks. We went back to get the name changed once she received her EAD that showed her married name. that worked well for us.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Your call. If you do it after getting married and it goes through without a problem you save a trip to the SSA office. However, people seem to have more problems with SSA offices when applying with the married name.

Should have added after getting married and using the I-94 has caused some people a problem.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Should have added after getting married and using the I-94 has caused some people a problem.

yup like in my case for example , had I knowen then what I know now , I would have defenatly filed with maiden name 2 weeks after entry , so my advice is do it on maiden name 2 weeks after entering the U.S , I guess it depands where you live , but oh man the headache I had trying to get SSN applying after marriage

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Same with me.. If i had known I would have it in maiden name. I am 3 months here now still have no SSN got to wait for my EAD card which is on the way i hope next week.

God is Great .. God is good... all the time..

N_-400

12/13/2010- SEnt The packet

12/22/2010- The packet was returned due to missing page.

12/23/2010- Resend the packet with complete pages.

12/29/2010- Check cashed in

01/03/2010- Receive NOA

01/10/2011- Email from USCIS for the Required Evidence( Finger printing)

01/26/2011-Biometric Schedule

02/07/2011-USCIS online status update-

02/12/2011- Received Interview Letter Scheduled March 14

02/12/2011- Received Descheduled letter

02/17/2011- USCIS online Status update

02/22/2011-New IL arrived schedule for March 29

02/22/2011-Descheduled Letter Again ( 2nd Time)

02/23/2011- I called USCIS and I was told new schedule in the computer for March 22

02/23/2011-USCIS ONline update....

03/01/2011-Interview Letter for March 22 @ 7:15 AM

03/22/2011- Interview and Oath; US Citizen

Thanks for all the replies guys/gals :thumbs:

So, the suggestion on the board is to wait atleast 2 weeks after arrival to apply for SSN and then can get married right away ?

I hope we don't need SSN for getting married. If so, then the marriage will have to be delayed until we have the SSN card in hand.

Edited by second stage

Mom sponsoring for her son(my brother)

06/15/2010 : I-130 for son
06/23/2010 : Check Cashed
06/26/2010 : Received NOA
03/20/2012 : Received RFE(I-797E)
05/23/2012: Application approved after RFE response
06/29/2012: Received letter from NVC

06/03/2015: Change petition from F1 to F3 category

Checklist :
1. I-751(ROC)
2. Parents AOS
3. I-130(Son)
4. N-400(Spouse)

5. N-400(Parents)

6. K-1 & AOS & ROC TimeLine

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So, the suggestion on the board is to wait atleast 2 weeks after arrival to apply for SSN and then can get married right away ?

I hope we don't need SSN for getting married. If so, then the marriage will have to be delayed until we have the SSN card in hand.

thats what I would advice , but remember to waite at least 2 weeks so all the personel info is in the save system , we didnt need SSN to get married all we needed was my passport ( with valid K1 and i 94 in it ) but we got married in Mass so here is some info for florida marriages good luck

http://www.wedalert.com/content/articles/married_fl.asp

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

You don't. You just have to be able to prove identity, which your passport will do (got married in Pinellas county, right across the bridge from you).

thats what I would advice , but remember to waite at least 2 weeks so all the personel info is in the save system , we didnt need SSN to get married all we needed was my passport ( with valid K1 and i 94 in it ) but we got married in Mass so here is some info for florida marriages good luck

http://www.wedalert.com/content/articles/married_fl.asp

That website is out of date or just inaccurate...the fee for marriage license is 93.50 plus another 30.00 if you get married at the courthouse.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.