Amby

Schoolgirl Rape Victim Burned With Acid

141 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline
From what I've seen: prison, at least in the US, is far from a soft option. But still... the myth continues.

If it were so horrible, there wouldn't be so many repeat offenders. :)

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
From what I've seen: prison, at least in the US, is far from a soft option. But still... the myth continues.

'The hood' is way worse.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

If it were so horrible, there wouldn't be so many repeat offenders.

Oh, so really the only reason why people don't commit crimes is because of the punishments they face when caught? The complexity of criminal activity isn't going to be summed up in a few neat sentences. Suffice to say, rates of recidivisms aren't simply a reflection of the severity of the punishment. However, please feel free to believe that jail time is simply the soft option and society would be greatly improved with these revenge punishment solutions that you seem to be advocating.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

'The hood' is way worse.

My uncle-in-law, and actually his daughter too (wife's cousin) actually work in a state prison in CA. The stuff I hear from them really freezes the blood - essentially that it is race war in there, with most of the inmates there being expected to obey some sort of informal group code based on race loyalty, and even the prison authorities still have prisoners line up by race - which is a little shocking to me, though I can see the practical reasons for it - give the above. Most of those people my wife's uncle deals with are the worst of the worst (his words), which makes it jarring when otherwise ordinary people get sent down for trivial offences. I was reading about a guy in there now - who was jailed for "failing to report a road traffic accident", despite the fact that an SUV racing to overtake him on his motorbike actually clipped him and knocked him off.

Then there's my mate's kid who got sent down between court hearings because the charges he was arraigned on were interpreted in such a way by the court that he was up for a 6 figure bail amount. His family got him out of there after a couple of weeks because the stories they heard from him led them to believe that he was in genuine fear of his life. They had to put their house up for collateral of course...

Hardly sounds like Butlins to me.

Edited by Number 6

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
If it were so horrible, there wouldn't be so many repeat offenders.

Oh, so really the only reason why people don't commit crimes is because of the punishments they face when caught? The complexity of criminal activity isn't going to be summed up in a few neat sentences. Suffice to say, rates of recidivisms aren't simply a reflection of the severity of the punishment. However, please feel free to believe that jail time is simply the soft option and society would be greatly improved with these revenge punishment solutions that you seem to be advocating.

last time i checked, dead men don't commit no crimes........

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

So, all crimes should be punished with the Death Penalty now?

Excellent strategy, now why didn't someone think of that before?

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

No, you're absolutely right! All the criminals aren't really bad people, they're just victims themselves and should all be given cookies and ice cream, which will undoubtedly deter their criminal behavior in the future! Now everyone gets a kitten... :wub:

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

VP's Blog

Timeline
So, all crimes should be punished with the Death Penalty now?

Excellent strategy, now why didn't someone think of that before?

i don't recall anyone advocating that. perhaps you can point that out for us ;)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
True - but I can't see that taking off as a practical solution to the country's social problems. You can't make people behave, and there will always be abusive folks having kids who really shouldn't. That said, if we're looking at youth gang-crime, it flourishes in typically low-income,. inner city areas. Not saying you're wrong about the nurturing, I mean you're not - but it could be seen as a bit mealy-mouthed when trying to address say crime arising out of urban inequalities. The social problems in those areas, IMO, are tied to the socioeconomic environment in those areas, as well as other factors.

I'm coming from the view that there is a cause for violent behavior and locking those violent individuals away, while appropriate, doesn't actually address the real problem(s). Criminals who show a history of violent behavior towards others should be locked up and probably kept in prison for life, but I do believe that we as a society can help lower the statistics of violent criminals through supporting preventative programs for educating parents, teaching children conflict resolution, programs for kids who may not have adequate support (nurture) from their primary caregivers.

My mother ended up leaving home at the age of 15, to get away from the turmoil of her alcoholic father who was getting increasingly violent with his wife. She was fortunate enough to have one of her teachers take her in to her home and provided her with the support she needed. We have to accept that some people are just not very good parents, and short of removing the children from those parents, we can provide other avenues of support for those children so that they have a chance to grow up to be functional and productive adults. It's the best investment our country can make, IMO. It would do more towards reducing violent crime in this country than anything else.

No, you're absolutely right! All the criminals aren't really bad people, they're just victims themselves and should all be given cookies and ice cream, which will undoubtedly deter their criminal behavior in the future! Now everyone gets a kitten.

Where did anyone suggest that criminals aren't 'bad people'? Clearly, if they commit a heinous crime, they aren't 'nice people who should be given cookies and ice cream oh and kittens too'. Oh but, are you suggesting that that's what happens in prison? Prison is not some jolly fun place where criminals get to hang out with their pals until they are let out to do the same again is it? Prison may not be the complete answer, but it certainly has a place and it isn't a 'soft option'.

Criminals may be victims themselves and clearly it is a reasonable idea to try to get some handle on why criminals behave in the way they do in order to prevent future crime. Of course, we can just execute them all as per Charles latest and greatest idea...oh wait, he didn't actually suggest that though, did he?

...society would be greatly improved with these revenge punishment solutions that you seem to be advocating...

I think I might be forgiven for thinking this was what the implication seemed to suggest from those words though.

Timeline
No, you're absolutely right! All the criminals aren't really bad people, they're just victims themselves and should all be given cookies and ice cream, which will undoubtedly deter their criminal behavior in the future! Now everyone gets a kitten.

Where did anyone suggest that criminals aren't 'bad people'? Clearly, if they commit a heinous crime, they aren't 'nice people who should be given cookies and ice cream oh and kittens too'. Oh but, are you suggesting that that's what happens in prison? Prison is not some jolly fun place where criminals get to hang out with their pals until they are let out to do the same again is it? Prison may not be the complete answer, but it certainly has a place and it isn't a 'soft option'.

Criminals may be victims themselves and clearly it is a reasonable idea to try to get some handle on why criminals behave in the way they do in order to prevent future crime. Of course, we can just execute them all as per Charles latest and greatest idea...oh wait, he didn't actually suggest that though, did he?

...society would be greatly improved with these revenge punishment solutions that you seem to be advocating...

I think I might be forgiven for thinking this was what the implication seemed to suggest from those words though.

if it helps you any, the topic has pretty much been "Schoolgirl Rape Victim Burned With Acid"

i don't know of anyone advocating execution for white collar or petty theft crimes ;)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

You don't get the DP for rape. Which is just as well because it's hard enough to get convictions in rape cases at present, without all the rigmarole's that would ensue if rape was a DP offense. So no Charles, that really doesn't cut it.

Timeline
if it helps you any, the topic has pretty much been "Schoolgirl Rape Victim Burned With Acid"

i don't know of anyone advocating execution for white collar or petty theft crimes ;)

Personally, I fully support rape being one of the crimes for which the death penalty is an option, especially violent rape such as this. If that girl was my daughter, they'd probably already be dead.... or at least in a world of pain.

I don't think all rapists should get the DP but I'd have no problem at all with it being an option.

Do I think these rapists should suffer the same harm they inflicted on this girl with the acid? :)

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

VP's Blog

Timeline
You don't get the DP for rape. Which is just as well because it's hard enough to get convictions in rape cases at present, without all the rigmarole's that would ensue if rape was a DP offense. So no Charles, that really doesn't cut it.

with 1 out of 6 women being raped in the states, don't you think that the death penalty for that crime may cut that number down?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Which would land you in jail as well, clearly helping...um that would be no one, least of all your fictitious daughter.