LuciansGirl

Divorce Decree - seal?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline
My divorce decrees had a ink stamp that said true and complete signed by a rep from the county clerk and a embossed stamp as well. This proves its a certified copy.

Okay, but since I am going to give my fiance the final judgment that the court sent me eons ago with their original stamp and they dated the "effective date of termination" in blue ink, wouldn't this be considered okay to turn in? I want to save myself the trip of going to the courthouse and making an exact replica of what i have, just to get it certified.

The one I have now has the judge's original stamps and dates filled in by the court in blue ink. Wouldn't that suffice since it is a true copy from the superior court?

AOS Timeline:

7/30/08: Sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

7/31/08: Received by USCIS

8/06/08: Check cashed

8/07/08: Rec'd NOA for I-485 AOS

8/07/08: AOS, EAD, & AP - Touched

8/08/08: Rec'd NOAs for EAD & AP

8/12/08: Rec'd Biometrics appt letter

8/21/08: Biometrics

9/29/08: EAD & AP - approved!!

10/6/08: EAD & AP - received in the mail!

2/06/09: Received interview notice for March 10th!!

3/10/09: Passed interview - husband's GC approved!!! Woohoo!!! :-)

01/2011: File to remove conditions

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
My divorce decrees had a ink stamp that said true and complete signed by a rep from the county clerk and a embossed stamp as well. This proves its a certified copy.

Okay, but since I am going to give my fiance the final judgment that the court sent me eons ago with their original stamp and they dated the "effective date of termination" in blue ink, wouldn't this be considered okay to turn in? I want to save myself the trip of going to the courthouse and making an exact replica of what i have, just to get it certified.

The one I have now has the judge's original stamps and dates filled in by the court in blue ink. Wouldn't that suffice since it is a true copy from the superior court?

Yes, this would be fine.

:thumbs: That will getherdone :thumbs:

OurTimeline

11/18/2007--------I-129F Petition mailed to CSC

11/29/2007--------NOA1

04/02/2008 --------NOA2 Approved (On my B-Day)

05/08/2008---------Forwarded to ISL

05/12/2008---------Consulate Received

05/22/2008---------Packet 3.5 Received by my Fiance

06/06/2008---------Packet 3.5 Returned to Embassy

06/19/2008---------Recieved Packet 4

06/25/2008---------Medical

07/08/2008---------Interview

03/06/2009---------Visa in Hand

03/23/2009---------POE Chicago

03/24/2009---------Marriage

08/05/2009---------GC in Mail

09/13/2009---------First Job in US

Naturalization

01/28/15------------mailed packet to USIS

02/06/15-------------NOA

02/27/15-------------Biometrics Appt.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I have a question on the divorce decree, mine too is about 20 pages long. The first page reads "Divorce Decree in A.V.M." it is signed by the judge with a raised seal and also stamped certified and signed by the court prothonotary and dated. I'm wondering if this first page will do, or will I need to make copies of every page?

02/01/08 I-129F off to VSC!

02/02/08 VSC Received, signed by P Novak 12:02pm

02/05/08 VSC Cash Check and issue NOA1(online)

02/08/08 Touched

02/09/08 NOA1 received in mail

02/11/08 Touched

02/12/08 Touched

02/15/08 Touched

02/24/08 Touched

05/01/08 NOA2 (email)

05/02/08 Touched

05/06/08 NVC received

05/08/08 Hardcopy NOA2

05/08/08 Left NVC London bound!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline
I have a question on the divorce decree, mine too is about 20 pages long. The first page reads "Divorce Decree in A.V.M." it is signed by the judge with a raised seal and also stamped certified and signed by the court prothonotary and dated. I'm wondering if this first page will do, or will I need to make copies of every page?

I'm not quite sure if you need all pages. I'm sure other VJ members can answer your question. My decree is only 6 pages long, which I will give to my fiance to submit on his interview...I figure it wouldn't hurt.

I decided to go to court last week (just to be on the safe side) to get an "exemplified copy" of my divorce decree...the exact replica of what I already have but the exemplified copy has 3 embossed seals on each page and on the cover it states that it is a true and certified copy of the original, signed by the deputy clerk, also with the seals.

AOS Timeline:

7/30/08: Sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

7/31/08: Received by USCIS

8/06/08: Check cashed

8/07/08: Rec'd NOA for I-485 AOS

8/07/08: AOS, EAD, & AP - Touched

8/08/08: Rec'd NOAs for EAD & AP

8/12/08: Rec'd Biometrics appt letter

8/21/08: Biometrics

9/29/08: EAD & AP - approved!!

10/6/08: EAD & AP - received in the mail!

2/06/09: Received interview notice for March 10th!!

3/10/09: Passed interview - husband's GC approved!!! Woohoo!!! :-)

01/2011: File to remove conditions

What's on the other pages? If it's stuff like the parenting plan and division of assets, then no, you don't need it. Most likely you only need that first page.

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes, this would be fine.

No it's not fine. Your divorce is not really official until it is entered in the records! You need a copy showing such has been done!

Just a question? Have you filed your petition without first obtaining your final divorce decree? Because I am waiting on mine it will be another month or so and have not filed my petition because of it? Can i file then include it later... and when later?

thanks

Is your divorce final? You can't file your I-129F unless you are legally allowed to marry at the time of filing. If you file before your divorce is final, you will be denied. If, on the other hand, the judgment is final and you're just waiting on the paperwork to get to you, then I suppose you could go ahead and file now. You'll get an RFE requesting the divorce decree, at which time you should have it and can send it in.

Doesn't the term "decree" simply mean "judgment of the court"? Mine doesn't have "decree" on the actual document but it does say "judgment of dissolution".

Yeah, sounds like the same thing.

thanks mox....

it will be final this week but will take a month or so to get the decree... did not know if it was worth filing now getting an RFE

or waiting until i get it and file. I do not know if i am saving us any time by doing it the first way...

Again, very incorrect.

This is a great way to help people screw up their cases.

You will not get an RFE for the lack of this document. You will get a DENIAL because you are not free to marry.

Edited by rebeccajo

Yes, this would be fine.

No it's not fine. Your divorce is not really official until it is entered in the records! You need a copy showing such has been done!

See bolded. If it's got a stamp, if it's been signed by a judge, and if it's complete, then the divorce is final. Record-keeping is the county's problem, not the divorcee.

Again, very incorrect.

You will not get an RFE for the lack of this document. You will get a DENIAL because you are not free to marry.

The OP says their divorce is FINAL, they are just waiting on the paperwork. I think I made it pretty clear that the divorce needs to be final at the time of filing. If the divorce is final, then the paperwork will reflect that fact. The OP needs to take some responsibility here and be absolutely sure that they are ONLY waiting on the paperwork that reflects the original divorce date. The requirement for a K-1 is that the petitioner(s) be free to marry at the time of filing. If the OP meets this criteria, then it doesn't matter if they have decree in hand or not. It only matters that the decree reflect a final divorce date pre-filing.

Yes, this would be fine.

See bolded. If it's got a stamp, if it's been signed by a judge, and if it's complete, then the divorce is final. Record-keeping is the county's problem, not the divorcee.

Again, very incorrect.

The OP says their divorce is FINAL, they are just waiting on the paperwork. I think I made it pretty clear that the divorce needs to be final at the time of filing. If the divorce is final, then the paperwork will reflect that fact. The OP needs to take some responsibility here and be absolutely sure that they are ONLY waiting on the paperwork that reflects the original divorce date. The requirement for a K-1 is that the petitioner(s) be free to marry at the time of filing. If the OP meets this criteria, then it doesn't matter if they have decree in hand or not. It only matters that the decree reflect a final divorce date pre-filing.

Mox, I've worked in a law firm for over 15 years. I'm really not trying to make you look bad, but your advice is 100% incorrect. A decree of divorce may be final on the date the judge signs it, but the county record does not reflect the marriage is over until it is entered. Your divorce is not official until the day that occurs, and you are not free to marry until the county record reflects same.

Record keeping is not the 'counties problem'. It is the 'legal record'.

On a personal note, I recall the family court judge (on the day of my final hearing) expressly adding her standard verbal disclaimer after the hearing admonishing my ex and I not to get any bright ideas to remarry just yet - that until the order was entered our divorce was not final.

Edited by rebeccajo

Mox, I've worked in a law firm for over 15 years. I'm really not trying to make you look bad, but your advice is 100% incorrect. A decree of divorce may be final on the date the judge signs it, but the county record does not reflect the marriage is over until it is entered. Your divorce is not official until the day that occurs, and you are not free to marry until the county record reflects same.

On a personal note, I recall the family court judge (on the day of my final hearing) expressly adding her standard verbal disclaimer after the hearing admonishing my ex and I not to get any bright ideas to remarry just yet - that until the order was entered our divorce was not final.

Fair enough. I think the OP has enough information to determine how and when they want to file. I completely understand going by the letter of the law. On the other hand, the odds of USCIS checking with the county court to see when all the i's were dotted and t's were crossed borders on the inconceivable. They're looking for a stamped decree with a pre-filing date. I don't say that to undermine what you're saying, because when it comes to the letter of the law I would defer to your experience. Good on you for bringing it up, because the OP needs to understand the ramifications of trying to save some time. But if it were me, if I had a decree in my hand that's been signed and stamped by a judge, I know what I'd do.

Edited by mox

Fair enough. I think the OP has enough information to determine how and when they want to file. I completely understand going by the letter of the law. On the other hand, the odds of USCIS checking with the county court to see when all the i's were dotted and t's were crossed borders on the inconceivable. They're looking for a stamped decree with a pre-filing date. I don't say that to undermine what you're saying, because when it comes to the letter of the law I would defer to your experience. Good on you for bringing it up, because the OP needs to understand the ramifications of trying to save some time. But if it were me, if I had a decree in my hand that's been signed and stamped by a judge, I know what I'd do.

I certainly cannot speak for other jurisdictions, but when I left the courtroom after my final divorce hearing, I had no copies of any kind of papers. Everything that was pertinent was still lying on the judges desk.

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Mox is quite correct. In most jurisdictions, a divorce decree is not final until it is filed. It is usually up to the person who was granted the divorce to do this filing. Can't speak for other jurisdictions but in NY the filing place is the clerk of the county in which the divorce was granted. No one should take a chance on their visa application by ignoring this simple step. Having the divorce decree filed and available from the county clerk's office also has the added benefit of being able to receive a certified copy of the decree that would satisfy the USCIS.

I certainly cannot speak for other jurisdictions, but when I left the courtroom after my final divorce hearing, I had no copies of any kind of papers. Everything that was pertinent was still lying on the judges desk.

Okay, I just went back and read the OP, and see that I misunderstood the bit about the stamp. For some reason I read that it was a Judge's stamp (i.e., certified), but I see now that it was a stamp of his signature. (that's why I said it was the county's problem about the filing.) So I understand now why the paper they have in hand isn't "official."

So I amend my advice slightly to say that if the OP is going to submit early, they should feel 100% confident that the date of the decree is going to be pre-filing. Otherwise it's a waste of $455. Your (rebeccajo) advice to hold off until the actual decree is in hand is prudent and sound, and 100% guaranteed not to waste the application fee.

.... In most jurisdictions, a divorce decree is not final until it is filed. It is usually up to the person who was granted the divorce to do this filing. Can't speak for other jurisdictions but in NY the filing place is the clerk of the county in which the divorce was granted. No one should take a chance on their visa application by ignoring this simple step. Having the divorce decree filed and available from the county clerk's office also has the added benefit of being able to receive a certified copy of the decree that would satisfy the USCIS.

Interesting that in NY such an important step would be left up to the involved parties.

Here the judge enters the final order. And the judges sign nothing at the hearing. They usually tend to paperwork later on that day privately in chambers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.