Michigan2004

Can I accept a foreign assignment while holding a CR1 visa?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello,

I received my conditional greencard in late 2006. Recently my company offered me an attractive foreign assignment overseas, and my wife and I are considering to accept. Having said that, we wonder if this could have a negative impact on my CR1 visa.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thank you,

M

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello,

I received my conditional greencard in late 2006. Recently my company offered me an attractive foreign assignment overseas, and my wife and I are considering to accept. Having said that, we wonder if this could have a negative impact on my CR1 visa.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thank you,

M

Your visa is a dead issue. (one time use) Your concern would be "maintaining permanent resident status". Just google between the quotes for what that entails.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

In my interview with a lawyer, the lawyer mentioned a CR-1 visa holder is required to maintain a minimum amount of time inside the US for the first two years of their residency.

This is something that you can look on the internet I am sure. You can also request an infopass to get this information.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

unfortunately the US guidelines are that you loose your status if you abandon your residency in the US (not sure what the exact wording is). Basically it means that as soon as an immigration officer determines that you've abandoned your residency your green card is taken away from you. there aren't any guidelines as to how long you have to be out of the country to be considered abandoning your residency. If they determined that you abandoned your residency, you'd have to go through the whole visa process again if you wanted to come back to the US. sucks, I agree

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Timeline
unfortunately the US guidelines are that you loose your status if you abandon your residency in the US (not sure what the exact wording is). Basically it means that as soon as an immigration officer determines that you've abandoned your residency your green card is taken away from you. there aren't any guidelines as to how long you have to be out of the country to be considered abandoning your residency. If they determined that you abandoned your residency, you'd have to go through the whole visa process again if you wanted to come back to the US. sucks, I agree

There definitely are guidelines but they are guidelines, not rules. An immigration officer may determine you've abandoned your residency even though you've followed the guidelines. They would have a "reason" but am not aware of any specific list of acceptable "reasons". Driver license, lapsing combined with no bank account or domicile might do it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

There definitely are guidelines but they are guidelines, not rules. An immigration officer may determine you've abandoned your residency even though you've followed the guidelines. They would have a "reason" but am not aware of any specific list of acceptable "reasons". Driver license, lapsing combined with no bank account or domicile might do it.

would you mind posting a link to those guidelines. I've only ever seen the very vague "abandoning residence" I'd love to see something that details what that means

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

NOA1 4/13/04

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

Timeline

would you mind posting a link to those guidelines. I've only ever seen the very vague "abandoning residence" I'd love to see something that details what that means

Well you could follow the same googling advice I gave the OP but since you won't, here's the link. ;)

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

Move to another country intending to live there permanently.

Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.

Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

yeah yeah I could have googled, but I was wondering if you had knowledge of some list other than this one. I find the 2 above statements really vague. so it could be one year or it could be less and you're out of status. or it could be 2 years or it could be less. really annoying vagueness. Canada (the only other country that I have experience with) specifically states that you must live in Canada 3 out of every 5 years. Fortunately for those of us that are married to Canadian citizens, the time that we live with them counts as time in Canada. Anyway, I find the vagueness of the US guidelines disconcerting

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

NOA1 4/13/04

12/4/04 submitted app

9/28/05 landed, yippie

Timeline

yeah yeah I could have googled, but I was wondering if you had knowledge of some list other than this one. I find the 2 above statements really vague. so it could be one year or it could be less and you're out of status. or it could be 2 years or it could be less. really annoying vagueness. Canada (the only other country that I have experience with) specifically states that you must live in Canada 3 out of every 5 years. Fortunately for those of us that are married to Canadian citizens, the time that we live with them counts as time in Canada. Anyway, I find the vagueness of the US guidelines disconcerting

Yes, they are somewhat disconcerting to us as well, since my wife and I intend to live 6 to 9 months out of each year in China, beginning in 2010. Of course, we'll maintain a US address, bank accounts and driver licenses and never be out of the US more than a year. I suspect LPR's in Bona Fide marriages to USC's are given considerable leeway unless there's compelling reasons to take a hard line.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

that's what I'm hoping too. you're wife won't be eligible for citizenship by then? (if China even allows duals, I don't know) As painfully slow as I'm progressing through grad school we probably won't be ready to move back to Canada till after we've been here long enough for the hubby to get US citizenship-should he decide to do so.

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

NOA1 4/13/04

12/4/04 submitted app

9/28/05 landed, yippie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.