abrazer07

K1 costs ??

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

«Preparing Dr. Evil voice» One Millliooon dollars! :jest:

Well anyway, I remember someone a different board say the total cost (I mean from the correspondence, to the trips, and all the way through AOS) depending on the trimmings is between $20K and $50K and this was back in 2005.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Well anyway, I remember someone a different board say the total cost (I mean from the correspondence, to the trips, and all the way through AOS) depending on the trimmings is between $20K and $50K and this was back in 2005.

My mother called me the other day, worried and inquiring about cost...

Why?

Because someone told her that a green card for the USA cost $250,000!! I laughed at her... but am really glad that's not the case!

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My mother called me the other day, worried and inquiring about cost...

Why?

Because someone told her that a green card for the USA cost $250,000!! I laughed at her... but am really glad that's not the case!

Since I bought my first plane ticket to China a little over two years ago, I've let MS Money track all China and Immigration related expenses. The total through obtaining 10 year green cards for wife and step-daughter will be about $10,700. Adjusting for new fees, maybe $2000 more today but this is two immigrants.

That includes two trips to China, no attorney and two plane tickets to the US from China for wife and daughter. We mostly stayed with family in China and used Yahoo messenger and Dynasky 2 cents a minute phone service.

If I add money I sent my wife for additional expenses during the wait, the total would be about $1,500 higher but that's not really any more immigration related than food and clothing is now.

The total can be significantly less or quite significantly more.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Since I bought my first plane ticket to China a little over two years ago, I've let MS Money track all China and Immigration related expenses. The total through obtaining 10 year green cards for wife and step-daughter will be about $10,700. Adjusting for new fees, maybe $2000 more today but this is two immigrants.

That includes two trips to China, no attorney and two plane tickets to the US from China for wife and daughter. We mostly stayed with family in China and used Yahoo messenger and Dynasky 2 cents a minute phone service.

If I add money I sent my wife for additional expenses during the wait, the total would be about $1,500 higher but that's not really any more immigration related than food and clothing is now.

That's some cool data to have, and definitely useful for others wondering about a "total cost" scenario (of course with the possibility of a lot of variation).

For anyone who scoffs at $10,000.... It doesn't seem too bad if you compare it to how much most people spend on a new car. It's just not as easy to get a loan for :)

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

That's some cool data to have, and definitely useful for others wondering about a "total cost" scenario (of course with the possibility of a lot of variation).

For anyone who scoffs at $10,000.... It doesn't seem too bad if you compare it to how much most people spend on a new car. It's just not as easy to get a loan for :)

US border town romances can end up costing a lot less. More visits and more expensive travel can add up pretty fast though.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

From travel.state.gov

Fees - How Much Does It Cost?

Fees are charged for the following services:

Filing an Alien Fiancé(e) Petition, Form I-129F

Nonimmigrant visa application processing fee

Medical examination (costs vary from post to post)

Fingerprinting fees, if required

Other costs may include translation and photocopying charges, fees for getting the documents required for the visa application (such as passport, police certificates, birth certificates, etc.), and expenses for travel to the embassy or consulate for an interview. Costs vary from country to country and case to case.

Filing Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

For current fees for Department of State, government services select Fees.

(all sorts of good info on this travel.state page. One of my favorites, I highly recommend reading it to anyone about to start the process)

From personal experience:

Do the math thinking that you will have to support your fiancee for at least 6 months while she gets her work permit and finds a job. And hey, and if it's less than 6 months, then it's a nice suprise.

Consider the cost of adding her to your health insurance ($140 for us), and car insurance.

Consider means of transportation.

Wedding expenses.

and as you mentioned, travel expenses and anything else that applies to your specific case.

Good luck

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Like previous posts said, costs depend on your individual situation, except for the filing fees.

We haven't realy added up all our expenses we have had so far apart form the filing fees. Here's a rough estimate:

- Round-trip plane tickets Atlanta / Bermuda and vice versa: $550 (average, I usually pay more from Bermuda) and around $800 between the US and Germany, so we are talking about $5000 so far (and we've only started the K1 process

- Telephone bills before moving to Bermuda: $300/month which adds up to approximately $2000

- Hotels (mainly Bermuda) stays - $5000

Maybe I've missed something but I guess we could easily say that we've spend around $15,000 so far. We split everything equal since at the end of the day when we can finally be together, it's our money anyway.

It sounds like a lot of money, but being with my SO is worth every single cent. Ever since we knew that we belong together and share our lives, I have become more responsible with money. I know that whatever I earn will eventually go into our home, so I am not spending money as freely as I used to on 'treats'.

In every difficulty lies an island of opportunity.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

(go me, I just got my NOA 12/14/07 and touched 12/18/07)

I spent about $4,500 on 2 trips to Hong Kong. One during 2006 summer and 2006 December (1 ticket to HK) and 2007 July (1 ticket back home).

During 2006 summer, I spent about $1,000 for 2weeks there. And then 2006 December, I spent about $1,700 during my prolong stay up to July. I stayed at my fiancee parent place which saved me from staying at hotels. I was engaged with her before I left (very sad for both of us).

Total so far: $7,200

I129F visa: $455

visa: around $150

Now, I need to include engagement ring: $2,000. We plan to go back to HK for our ceremony so not really sure how much that would cost, but expensive. A trip for me to go back to Hong Kong and 2 tickets back to USA: $3,700. I bought a new house for the both of us: $130,000. And I plan to remodel so when my fiancee come, she can live comfortably and pick out furniture as we live in the house.

Incap total of about $15,000 - $20,000

with house - $15,000 - $150,000

My fiancee being with me forever: $ Priceless.

December Filer

K-1

12/12/07 - Sent I-129F packet out (express mail baby)

12/13/07 - VSC received packet I-129F (Now I'm waiting for my check to cash)

12/14/07 - VSC Check cashed

12/14/07 - NOA1

12/18/07 - Touched

02/17/08 - Touched OMG I got touched

04/02/08 - WOOT NOA2 ^^

04/03/08 - Touched

Can't recall everything that went on but...

About 07/11/08 - My wife first step on USA

We're at the process where we will have an interview for my wife 10 year visa. My wife already have her 2 years condition green card and her Social Security #.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.