boardashell_2000

Travelling to foreign countries

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey all,

Not sure about this but we were just approved for greencard...Wondering if anybody knew which countries we could travel to using his greencard. He has a Moroccan passport and I know that most countries required visa to entry...I wonder now has that changed since he is a permanant resident? I have been looking everywhere for this info!!!!

Help please! We want to travel to Europe(Several countries) this spring.

Thank you

MET ONLINE- JUNE 21, 2005

WENT TO VISIT YASSINE IN MOROCCO- APRIL 15, 2006

SENT IN I129F TO CSC- NOVEMBER 2, 2006

RECIEVED NOA1- NOVEMBER 15, 2006

CHECK CLEARED- NOVEMBER 20, 2006

NOA2!!-FEBRUARY 6, 2007

NVC RECIEVED CASE-FEBRAURY 16, 2007

NVC SENT CASE TO CASA-FEBRAURAY 21, 2007

CASA RECEIVED-FEBRAURAY 26, 2007

PACKET 3 RECEIVED-MARCH 5, 2007

INTERVIEW DATE-APRIL 4, 2007

VISA RECEIVED- APRIL 12, 2007 WOO HOO!!!!

US ENTRY- APRIL 26, 2007

WEDDING- MAY 4, 2007

FILED AOS & EAD- JULY 24, 2007

EAD CARD RECEIVED-OCTOBER 3, 2007

GREENCARD INTERVIEW-DECEMBER 13, 2007

GREENCARD RECEIVED AFTER BEING LOST IN THE MAIL SENT BACK TO SERVICE CENTER AND REMAILED OUT AFTER SEVERAL PHONECALLS-JANUARY 25, 2008

FILING TO REMOVE CONDITIONS-SEPTEMBER 2009!

4621839_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Hey all,

Not sure about this but we were just approved for greencard...Wondering if anybody knew which countries we could travel to using his greencard. He has a Moroccan passport and I know that most countries required visa to entry...I wonder now has that changed since he is a permanant resident? I have been looking everywhere for this info!!!!

Thank you

boardashell,

The green card changes nothing in regards to traveling to foreign countries - with the Moroccan passport, any visa requirements are still in place. The only thing that changes this is becoming a US citizen. :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline
Hey all,

Thank you

Entery into another country isnt effect by a US green card

¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ K-1¸.•'´¯) .•:*¨

~ 07/05/06 - Met Hayz online by accident

~ 03/30/08 - Packet sent to VSC

~ 04/22/08 - NOA1 issued - Yeah they took it this time

~ 05/22/08 - Touch

~ 07/25/08 - Touch (showed about 1pm on the USCIS site)

~ 07/25/08 - NOA2 sent (must have been later in the day - noticed it on 7/26)

~ 09/10/08 - INTERVIEW - VISA APPROVED ! ! ! !

~ 09/12/08 - VISA RECEIVED

~ 10/17/08 - Arrival in the USA (JFK POE)

~ 10/31/08 - MARRIED! ! !

¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ AOS¸.•'´¯) .•:*¨

~ 03/26/09 - Sent AOS (I-485, I-765, I-131)

~ 03/27/09 - AOS packet signed for by V BUSTAMANTE

~ 04/02/09 - NOA for AOS/ EAD / Travel Doc

~ 04/03/09 - Check cashed

~ 04/25/09 - Biometrics

~ 04/20/09 - Transferred to CSC

~ 04/25/09 - Transfer notice received in the mail

~ 04/27/09 - Arrived at CSC

~ 05/09/09 - Employment Auth / Travel Document Approved

~ 05/12/09 - AP approved - without an interview

~ 05/23/09 - Welcome letter received

~ 06/05/09 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED! ! !

~ 09/11/11 - DIVORCE - DIVORCE - DIVORCE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You can go to Switzerland with just a green card. Obtaining visas for many European countries is also easier, also if I'm not mistaken if you get a visa for one of the Schengen countries then it's valid for all of them.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hey all,

Thank you

boardashell,

The green card changes nothing in regards to traveling to foreign countries - with the Moroccan passport, any visa requirements are still in place. The only thing that changes this is becoming a US citizen. :thumbs:

I could have swore that I read something a while back that if you have greencard. "some" countries you won't need visa...I thought that one of those countries was Jamica or the Bahamas???? I just can't find the info right now! Which is driving me crzy anyhoo...i was curious if was the same for europe...thanks for the input though much appreciated!!!

MET ONLINE- JUNE 21, 2005

WENT TO VISIT YASSINE IN MOROCCO- APRIL 15, 2006

SENT IN I129F TO CSC- NOVEMBER 2, 2006

RECIEVED NOA1- NOVEMBER 15, 2006

CHECK CLEARED- NOVEMBER 20, 2006

NOA2!!-FEBRUARY 6, 2007

NVC RECIEVED CASE-FEBRAURY 16, 2007

NVC SENT CASE TO CASA-FEBRAURAY 21, 2007

CASA RECEIVED-FEBRAURAY 26, 2007

PACKET 3 RECEIVED-MARCH 5, 2007

INTERVIEW DATE-APRIL 4, 2007

VISA RECEIVED- APRIL 12, 2007 WOO HOO!!!!

US ENTRY- APRIL 26, 2007

WEDDING- MAY 4, 2007

FILED AOS & EAD- JULY 24, 2007

EAD CARD RECEIVED-OCTOBER 3, 2007

GREENCARD INTERVIEW-DECEMBER 13, 2007

GREENCARD RECEIVED AFTER BEING LOST IN THE MAIL SENT BACK TO SERVICE CENTER AND REMAILED OUT AFTER SEVERAL PHONECALLS-JANUARY 25, 2008

FILING TO REMOVE CONDITIONS-SEPTEMBER 2009!

4621839_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I could have swore that I read something a while back that if you have greencard. "some" countries you won't need visa...I thought that one of those countries was Jamica or the Bahamas???? I just can't find the info right now! Which is driving me crzy anyhoo...i was curious if was the same for europe...thanks for the input though much appreciated!!!

You're correct about Jamaica and some other countries.

US Residents

* an alien registration card; or

* a valid re-entry permit

Resident aliens in the US, visiting Jamaica as tourist for periods not exceeding six (6) months, and who possess return or round trip touring tickets showing that their journey began in the USA, Puerto Rico or the American Virgin Islands, and that they are entitled to return there, are not required to hold passports. Source

You can start here to check on the visa requirements for specific countries: Consular Information Sheets

ETA: On each Consular Information Sheet, in the Entry Requirements section, there is usually a link to that country's own immigration/tourism website.

Edited by mona_jamie

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Countries do not consider a US greencard as a substitute for PASSPORT. You are US national. Your spouse is a Morrocan national. So the rules for tourist visa for you and him will be thus:

1) Morroco passport - find out what countries REQUIRE Morrocan citizens to get a tourist visa (and which countries allow Morrocan citizens to travel to their countries without a tourist vis).

2) US passport - find out what countries REQUIRE US citizens to get a tourist visa (and which countries allow US citizens to travel to their countries without one).

3) See is there are any special allowances for foreign nationals who have US Greencards.

Edited by Nutty

Timeline

I didn't quote one thing from Jamaica's website -- although a U.S. Resident is not required to have a passport to enter Jamaica, they are required to have a passport to get back into the U.S.

I'm the USC.

Timeline
This is a great site for checking: http://www.nwa.com/services/timatic.html

I think other airlines have similar links and I would always double check with a Consulate.

Excellent. :thumbs:

I'm the USC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
I didn't quote one thing from Jamaica's website -- although a U.S. Resident is not required to have a passport to enter Jamaica, they are required to have a passport to get back into the U.S.

Good Point...And I did not mean to imply that you can get into Canada or Mexico without your passport (much less back into the US). Only that you do not need a visa for these countries if you have a GC. Always carry your passport these days, USC or no.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.