17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Well I passed my driving test yesterday! It was funny really and I was nervous, even after driving for 18 years in many different countries!

Although I have showed all the required documents (SSN, utility bills, marriage certificate, NOA for AOS, visa, passport etc...), the Virginia DMV in our town said they can only give me a license vaild for 2 months until I can prove that my Green Card is coming.... Umm, does anyone know what I can show to prove this?

Kiki

Edited by KikiDoug

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Many states have similar idiotic laws - In Colorado they need to see an EAD or the Green card to issue a license (or even an ID.) Some other states allow you a 5 year Drivers license if you have filed for AOS. Go figure!

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Once you have your EAD they *should* be able to give you a license valid until your EAD expires.

AOS

August 30, 2005 - AOS, , AP applications mailed to Chicago Lockbox

September 9, 2005 - NOA's for AOS, AP, (dated Sept. 1)

November 28, 2005 - AOS biometrics - refused EAD biometrics at the same time

December 5, 2005 - AP approved

December 7, 2005 - Infopass appointment for interim EAD

December 12, 2005 - Received EAD card

December 13, 2005 - Received AP

June 14, 2005 - Case Status Inquiry/Tracer

June 19, 2005 - Letter sent to congressman

AOS INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR AUGUST 8, 2006

AOS approved - August 8th, 2006 - hooray - done with USCIS for now!

GREENCARD RECEIVED - August 18, 2006

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Well I passed my driving test yesterday! It was funny really and I was nervous, even after driving for 18 years in many different countries!

Although I have showed all the required documents (SSN, utility bills, marriage certificate, NOA for AOS, visa, passport etc...), the Virginia DMV in our town said they can only give me a license vaild for 2 months until I can prove that my Green Card is coming.... Umm, does anyone know what I can show to prove this?

Kiki

Your AOS approval notice. I had the same issue with Oklahoma -- as a K-1 holder, they refused to allow me to have OK state ID or a DL until I had proof of permanent residency status. However, another VJ member was able to get her OK DL once she had her EAD card in hand -- and like canadalaura said, the DL was valid as long as the EAD was valid. I didn't bother with that route as I was allowed to drive using my valid Canadian DL, and went back to the DMV once I had my green card in hand.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Hey,

my wife got her a year period DL in VA (Aexandria) with all the documents you mentioned (NOA for AOS was her proof of legitimate status), so if this DMV gave you DL only for two months go to another DMV in two months and ask them for DL. Not all DMVs (even in VA) were created equal!

The point is in VA AOS NOA is enough to get a drivers license.

obender

I just received my licence in Chesterfield, VA. I was afraid of that happening to me. My licence is valid for 3 years.. I wouldn't worry about it though.

I think it depends on the DMW staff member processing your application. The person sitting at the information desk gave me the third degree about getting a licence, considering my k-1 visa had expired. Whereas the lady I spoke to at the service counter had no problem processing my application.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: Timeline

Thank you everyone for the replies. We have shown NOAs etc. already. I am still awaiting my EAD so I guess if that comes ( :P ), I can show that in addition to everything else. I actually emailed the Va DMV through thier website and they replied to me the next day (!) and told me to fax my docs to their head office in Richmond. They will then contact me directly with a decision...I've done that today, so now I'll wait and see...

Kiki (F)

Edited by KikiDoug

Anyone know the requirements in Florida?

12-15-04 > I-129F packet mailed (Day 1)

02-03-05 > APPROVED!!! NOA 2 (Day 50)

02-18-05 > Embassy receives petition (Day 65)

02-17-06 > (YEP 1 YEAR, NO TYPO) Packet 3 received (Day 429)

03-14-06 > Interview Date...VISA APPROVED!! (Day 454)

03-16-06 > Fiancee received visa in hand and we arrived in the USA!!

04-29-06 > Wedding Date

AOS & EAD

05-30-06 > Sent AOS and EAD

06-01-06 > Package signed for in Chicago

06-07-06 > NOA

06-08-06 > AOS & EAD Touched

06-12-06 > AOS & EAD Touched

06-29-06 > Biometrics Appointment

07-03-06 > AOS & EAD Touched

07-11-06 > Transferred to California!!

07-14-06 > Case Received in California

07-15-06 > AOS Touched

07-18-06 > AOS Touched again

07-19-06 > AOS Touched yet again

07-20-06 > WELCOME LETTER SENT!!

08-04-06 > GC Received

04-19-08 > File to remove Conditions!!

Timeline

Kikidoug

Have you read the

Primary Document:

1. Unexpired foreign passport with an unexpired or expired

visa and I-94.

Or

2. Unexpired foreign passport with an I-94W.

Secondary Document:

1. Marriage license issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction, territory or

municipality.

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

This seems to be typical of many state DMVs! Good luck!

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline
Anyone know the requirements in Florida?

Florida Requirement for non-immigrant

Original Driver License or Identification Card Florida law requires identification, proof of date of birth and social security number (if issued) from all customers before a driver license or identification card can be issued.

Each non-immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:

Employment authorization card issued by the United States Department of Justice (Form I688B or I-766); or

Proof of nonimmigrant classification provided by United States Department of Justice (Form I-94, not expired, with required supporting attachment(s). If in doubt regarding required documents, please bring all of your INS documentation with you.). I-94s must be accompanied by a Passport. Certain classifications require additional documentation. Some examples are:

F-1 and M-1 classification must also be accompanied by an I-20.

I J-1 or J-2 designation must be accompanied by an IAP-66.

Refugee, asylee and parolee classifications must be accompanied by additional documentation.

The following documents will only be accepted with a supporting document, including but not limited to a Passport, Florida Driver License or Identification Card, Driver License from any other state, Employment Authorization Card, Employer Identification, Identification from home country, Identification from school or college, Social Security Card or other INS document.

I-571 Travel Document/Refugee Travel Permit

I-512 Parole Letter Accepted

IJO- Asylum or Cancellation of Removal - Immigration Judges Order granting Asylum or Cancellation of Removal.

All required and supporting documents MUST be original or certified.

Documents must be valid for more than 30 days from the date of issuance.

Non-U.S. citizens applying for an original driver license will be issued a 30-day, no photo, paper temporary permit and a receipt. Non-U.S. citizens applying for an identification card will be issued a receipt.

All records are transmitted to our database in Tallahassee, where the information will be examined and run against FDLE, FBI and INS databases.

Upon identity and legal status verification, a driver license or identification card will be issued within 30 days from Tallahassee, mailed to the address on the driver record. The license or identification card will be issued for the period of time specified on the INS document.

If a problem is detected, a denial of issuance letter will be mailed to the customer.

• 5 years later...

Kiki

Yep. That is true. VA is way too conservative & i don't think they take any chances any more. We got ours for 1 year as we had the original adjustment of status receipt (I-797). I don't think they issue the DL for 7-10 years until you prove them you have the 10 years GC or the Citizenship. This is northern VA & in Alexandria area.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.